Bacon fat!

Options
big_onion
big_onion Posts: 11 Member
I have a lot of fats in my fridge/freezer. I don't like to throw things out, so I save all this stuff. I have smaller containers of duck fat and lamb fat ... and now this GIANT container of bacon fat. (Surprisingly, oven method made the cleanest looking bacon fat. Very white. Pan fried stuff is brownish.)

Any ideas? I use as much of it as I can just for general cooking, but I still produce more than I need. I hate to throw things out, but I think this might have to go unless I can find some novel uses. Anyone ever deep fry something in bacon fat? Confit some pork ribs? Any ideas?

Replies

• chrislouden
    Options
    Yes Confit!!! Think of how would poach an egg in water. Granted it probably has mesquite/smoke flavor to it. I wouldn't deep fry it so to speak. Render it to liquid and then in a deep pot/pan submerge something in it and bake it in the oven. I saw something on diners drive ins and dives where they did this with a pork roast. took it out after a few hours. Sliced somewhat thick, pan fried it each side and served.

If you had a lasagna pan. Fill it an inch think and put in some nice pork chops. bake them submerged then pan fry to finish. Oh damn...
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you had a lasagna pan. Fill it an inch think and put in some nice pork chops. bake them submerged then pan fry to finish. Oh damn...

http://i.imgur.com/wnM0t.png
  • big_onion
    big_onion Posts: 11 Member
    Options

http://i.imgur.com/wnM0t.png

I think I might do this with a turkey breast I have. Hell yeah. Photos will follow.
  • FooFatFighters
    FooFatFighters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've got a mayonnaise jar full of bacon fat so since I was experimenting today (made crispy bacon+peanut butter+Lindt 85% chocolate treat) I took a bottle of good vodka I have, maybe about 3/4 Cup worth and made some bacon infused vodka using the bacon fat. I've had a Bacon Martini before at the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas so I'll either make one of those or take a straight vodka shot as a taste test. For science purposes of course.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Lol, as a soap maker I totally want to render it and make some awesome soap! :D
  • hawaii_girl
    hawaii_girl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fry eggs in it!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat is a must for cooking Salmon fillet.
  • jtakingcareofherself
    Options
    You guys are brilliant! I love this thread.