Raisins Or No Raisins?

Options
reneepugh
reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
I have been eating raisins for potassium which I have been a little low on. But I was recently told that raisins aren't paleo. I did look it up and get conflicting responses. I don't gourge on them and buy organic natural raisins. What do you think?

Replies

• treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    the thing is they are like little sugar bombs, though sounds like you are having the best ones you can...I would just have a few maybe with some almonds (also high in potassium) x
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    There are other, better potassium sources.

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/potassium.html

I personally don't see a problem with raisins, but if you're trying to keep your sugar and carbs low, there are TONS of ways to get it. Leafy greens, all forms of potato eaten with the skin (but if you're trying to follow "the rules," you'll want to keep these in moderation), most fruits and vegetables, almonds and other nuts, etc.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't see why they wouldn't be Paleo- grapes are Paleo, right? Unless you're eating raisins with weird additives... I'm not really a fan so I've never investigated this.

here's some more sources: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/potassium-superfoods-47020908

or if you're lazy :P
    sweet potatoes
    oranges (the slide says orange JUICE but... whatevs)
    beet greens
    potatoes (I know Paleo has mixed feelings about this one but if you have a deficiency it might be smarter to eat them)
    dates
    tomatoes
    raisins made their list :)
    clams
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    the thing with raisins, and really any dried fruit is concentrated sugars -

So if you don't worry about your carb and sugar levels then having a few here and there is no big deal.

I know I have forgone grapes because the sugar/carb content is just to high for me...

Coconut water is a good source of potassium - I usually drink some after a workout (plain not flavored...you may have to try a d few differnet brands as they all taste different...I personally like Blue Monkey that i can only find at Whole Foods around me and Harvest Bay (somes in a smaller tetrapack)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I use them for workout fuel instead of gels on a bike ride or long run. I buy the kind without sugar. I am pretty sure they are paleo because the ingredients are: raisins aka, grapes.

But yes, they are sugar bombs.... that's why I eat them for fuel.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I don't eat much of them so I think I am ok.