Feedback on "New Rules" and diet

Options
punkypenny
punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
Hi there, I apologize if there is already a board on this, but I was wondering if anyone you ladies have been following "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" program. Although I'm not new to lifting, I just started this program and I guess I'm kind of concerned about having increased my calorie intake. According to his calculations I should be eating between 2000-2200 cal a day. So my question is are any of you eating this much while lifting and have you, or are you in progress if achieving your goals? Thank you for taking the time to read this. :-)

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hey! I did New Rules. . You can always see how things go for a few weeks and then adjust-drop cals. with 200 -300 -they said in the book that that is fine. I started the program with the MFP recommendations, then I was hungry all the time, so I upped the cals. then I started going up on weight a bit, then I dropped them down with 200 from the recommendations in the book-that was about 1800 for me. But while you lift heavy you will retain water, so might go up. But when you take a break from lifting-let's say a week, your weight should normalize. You just have to see what works for you.
  • jwallace1024
    jwallace1024 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    there is a New Rules forum here if you want to check it out. lots of info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I only did phase 1 of New Rules before switching. But yes, I eat that much (and more when bulking), and yes, I've seen some pretty awesome results from lifting.
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Than you for all the replies. Wish me luck!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hi. I completed the entire program and ate 300-400 calories more like Lou suggested on days that I lifted and got great results. I still eat ~2000-2100 calories on workout days and have continued to lean out. You'll love the program and lifting too. Good luck. :)
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Starting Strength for the actual exercises for now. but I have read New Rules and am eating based on the food rules. It's only been about a week, but the weight has been going well (I'm eating 2050-2300). I was't doing the improved eating when I first started heavy lifting and I noticed that my strength gains were terribly inconsistant and I often didn't have the energy to finish my sets. Upping my calories (and especially getting more protein) really helped me feel better and my lifts have been getting better.