New Here and Need Help!

Options
mgall86
mgall86 Posts: 30 Member
I found out my BMR and TDEE from another site. The problem is that the numbers don't seem to add up on MFP or maybe I am just confused about the whole thing! The other site has me at a BMR of 1732 and a TDEE of 2685.

MFP has me set at eating 1400 calories a day. I workout 5 times a week with cardio and do 3-4 days a week of strength training. I just recently realized that I am probably not getting enough calories throughout the day. I have only lost about 3 or 4 pounds the last month and a half.

I would LOVE if someone could please explain to me how many calories I should be eating! I know I need to eat more than what I have been but I am afraid to go over! Any help is appreciated!!!

Replies

• PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I'm new too and not sure about your numbers but I know that you have to go to Settings and change your Goal to Custom Settings to set up your caloric intake to the TDEE amoun. Otherwise MFP sets it for generic numbers based upon age and weight. I hope that helps some.
  • WinningWithin
    WinningWithin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What do you have your weekly weight loss goal set to? That's probably where the discrepancy is. You can check the BMR MFP gives you here and I'm trying to remember where it is. I'll check and post again in a second - at least it'll give you an apples-to-apples comparison with the other BMR calculation you're getting.
  • WinningWithin
    WinningWithin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Go to "Tools" and you'll see a tab for "BMR" - you can do the calculation there and see what you get. :smile:
  • mgall86
    Options
    So do I want to be eating at or above my BMR but below my TDEE?
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    So do I want to be eating at or above my BMR but below my TDEE?

You want to eat above BMR but under TDEE...If you give me your age, current weight and height and your activity level each week...How many days/hours you workout -I can help you with your numbers from the scooby site which is what most recommend using....Here is the link if you want to play with the numbers as well:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also, have you done the Metabolism Reset? Have you done VLCD much in the past??

ETA: I read above again and saw your workout schedule - You look like you are at moderate (3-5hrs/wk)
  • mgall86
    Options
    Thank you! Yes I did link to that site and input everything. I think I have it figured out now! So I will increase my calories a little making sure to go above my BMR but under the TDEE. Hopefully that will help!
  • mgall86
    Options
    I have not done a metabolism reset. I have done lots of low cal diets in the past and obviously that didn't work. MFP had me set at eating 1400 cals a day and I lost about 3 pounds in the last month or so. Not exactly the results I wanted to see. What exactly is the Metabolism Reset?

Edit* I am a girl :) age 26, height is 5'3 and I currently weigh 209. And yes, I have been using the moderate activity level.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Take a look at these videos from the stickies at the beginning of the forum threads...They are great and will explain anything you need to know about the Metabolism Reset to know if it's for you...Which it sounds like it is b/c of the VLCD in the past which I did as well and am now doing the reset to help repair my metabolism....Check it out!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579855--new-vids-for-em2wl-faqs

I hope this you helps you out!!

Btw, welcome to the group!! :flowerforyou: