My fit Pals - What's your fav. healthy snack, food, recipe?

Options
1235»

Replies

• KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    bump
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    My new fave:

Seasoned Steamed Carrots

1 can carrots drained (have no tried with fresh yet)
    1 tsp butter or margarine (will be trying with evoo soon)
    1 tsp 21 seasoning salute (got it at Trader Joe's)

Toss the ingredients and steam for 15 minutes. OMG I have never tasted anything so GOOD!

Expanding on the above, if I want a meal and not a snack I do the same as above but also simultaneously steam a piece of tilapia lightly sprayed with canola or olive oil then sprinkled with the 21 seasoning salute. WOW. Fish never tasted so good...
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Bacon

+

Eggs
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bacon

+

Eggs

:love:
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    My favorite is an egg white breakfast sandwich. Very filling and starts the day off with some great protein.

2 egg whites, scrambled
    1 Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage patty, crumbled
    1/4 cub shredded chedder cheese
    1 Flat Out light wrap.

Calories are usually around 320 depending on the cheese I use. Sometimes I leave out the sausage and add onion, peppers, diced tomatoes. YUMMY!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I don't know about everybody else, but sometimes I get that itallian food/pizza craving still where indulging in that carb loaded, greese soaked blob of fat actually sounds like a good idea. When that happens this is what I make :

1 flatout italian flatbread - 90 calories
    1/4c marinara (about 40 cal , but I often make it without and its still delicious)
    a little shredded chicken leftovers
    bell peppers
    onion
    garlic
    1/4 c vege cheese - 70 cal

Depending on the amount of chicken it makes a huge meal for under 300 cal
    Toss that baby in the toaster oven for 5 min'ish and it's just like a crispy thin crust pizza. Pair with a tossed salad and it's like dining out!

Another thing that feels like "cheat" food is...
    Arctic Zero ice cream. Its hard to find, but its a whole pint for 150 cal. I split it in half usually and add a few strawberries to the maple vanilla flavor.
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Chobani yogurt with sugar free jello mix
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    Ground Turkey chili made with blacck beans, kidney beans, red & green bell peppers and onions. I make a big batch and freeze in couple of 1 cup size containers and freeze. Pull it out during the week or whenever and reheat. Delish and healthy. Good protein.

This sounds SO good.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    My favorite bars are the Kind bars. I had been eating fiber bars for so long and I always felt bloated afterwards. I was stalking someones diary and saw they were eating Kind bars, Tried them and LOVE them. I dont feel all puffy after I eat them and they satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    Dill Pickles! 0 calories :)
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I know I say this on EVERY recipe thread, but I am obsessed with Skinnytaste.com. She has the most amazing, healthy recipes. My husband (who is a very pick eater, by the way) has loved every single thing I have made from there. I average about 4 recipes a week and I haven't found one yet that wasn't good.

She's got everything: Main dishes, sides, desserts, etc.

Check it out if you are looking to get out of a food-rut :smile:
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    FROZEN BANANA "ICE CREAM"

freeze a banana then blend (i use magic bullet) with 1/2 T of unsweetened cocoa powder (and a splash of milk if needed to get it going)

Makes the perfect fake ice cream!!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Edamame!

10 grams of protein and 9 grams of fibre per serving.
  • phamwright
    phamwright Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the Cinnamon Roast Almonds 100 Calorie Pack with baby carrots. It is so good.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Almond butter, sometimes with apples, sometimes off a spoon :).

I also love date balls....dates shredded up in the food processor, rolled into balls and rolled in sesame seeds. You can add other fruits/nuts to it too.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Cookie Dough Dip
    from chocolatecoveredkatie.com

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained) (250g)
    1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
    tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup nut butter (You can get away with using only 3 tbsp. If you use peanut butter, it’ll have a slight “pb cookie dough” taste, so if you don’t want this, try the recipe in this link instead. Just don’t bake it.)
    up to 1/4 cup milk of choice, only if needed
    Sweetener (see note below, for amount)
    1/3 cup chocolate chips or Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips
    2 to 3 tbsp oats (or flaxmeal) (You can omit for a thinner dip.)
    Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to a good food processor (not blender), and blend until very smooth. Then mix in the chocolate chips. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.)

Sweetener Notes: I used 2/3 cup brown sugar when I first made this for the party. Liquid sweeteners (agave, maple, etc.) are fine as well, as is evaporated cane juice. You can easily get away with less sugar– some people will be perfectly fine with just 3 tbsp for the whole recipe! And if you don’t want any sugar, be sure to check out the “no-sugar” version linked above. (You can also use stevia, if you like the taste of stevia-sweetened desserts. Try 2-3 packets of NuNaturals stevia, and add more sweetener if needed. I wouldn’t recommend serving an all-stevia version to party guests, though.)

Link to make your own LOW SODIUM beef jerky:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/436145-how-to-make-healthy-low-sodium-beef-jerky/

An easy snack- Kale Chips:

Baked Kale Chips

1 bunch (about 6 ounces) kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil-or use a Misto to spray (yes you could use an olive oil spray)
    Sea salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 300°F. Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs. Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl. Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet (line with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up). Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Place baking sheet on a rack to cool. Sprinkle with salt or parmesan cheese.
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Vitalicious Chocolate Muffin Tops, Brownies...100 calories and 9 g fiber and 4 g protein....so delicious