new to the group!

Options
kramerhaus6
kramerhaus6 Posts: 21 Member
hi everyone! new to the group and looking for assistance with motivation. have been on thyroid meds for years and have been steady gaining weight. highest wt was 330lbs, got a lap band and took off 163 lbs! felt amazing but unfortunately lap band had to be removed as it was growing into my stomach! OUCH! almost immediately gained 60 pounds back and have a total of 79 lbs now to lose. i am just extremely tired by the time i get home from work and just dont have the gumption to get up and move!! if anyone has any ideas how to help.....please post! :yawn:

Replies

• Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Firstly, welcome to the group. I am sure you will find motivation here.
    I know what you mean about feeling tired in the evening. Some days are just draining. When I first started, I only used to do "exercise" in the weekend, but tried to increase my normal activities too. So, I would go to gym on Saturday and Sunday. Monday to Friday I would do things like park my car on the opposite side of the car park so I had to walk further. Our printer at work is upstairs, so instead of saving all my printing so I only went upstairs once or twice a day, or asking others to collect it for me, I would print those single pages and "run" (or rather drag myself) up the stairs to collect them. Small things that just meant I was generally more active. It does get easier as you lose the weight. When I think that 17kg is nearly 2 pockets of potatoes more that I was carrying up the stairs I cant believe I managed it.
    Otherwise ensure that you have set your calories correctly for your normal activity level and make sure that you eat less.
    Good luck!
  • kramerhaus6
    kramerhaus6 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great advice!! i will try to find little ways to increase moving! def not ready for the gym!! thanks again!!
  • fitfemmeboss
    Options
    Hello, everybody! Happy to be here with all of you. I have about 60 pounds to lose and I know hypothyroid makes it 3 times as hard...can't wait to hear the free flow of ideas...
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Trutra - that is exactly what I did. I used to be a totally non-energetic person. Now I have more energy than I've had since I was 18! I can't imagine how it will be when I lose all my weight.

At any rate, just moving more will help... I made a vow to not take the elevator in my office and I for the most part, I don't and take the stairs three flights instead. Then I added going for a walk or a hike with my family... then bigger hikes and swimming... oh - and let's not forget bowling... ha! And, now I have the energy to go to the gym three times a week. I'm on my 3rd week and it's really amazing to see all the positive changes happening within my body. My next step will be to add a couple of weight training sessions a week - probably in about another three weeks.