Someone is always using the equipment I need

Options
AussieMisfit
AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
My gym is kind of small and it seems like someone is always using the lat pull-down and cable row machines when I get to that bit in a workout. I've kind of become a little (too?) assertive and will ask if I can jump on for a quick set if someone is resting on/by the machine, but it's not always possible. I end up taking longer rests than I should and shuffling the workouts. I might do A1-B1 alternates then A2-B2 or something. Is this ok? Anyone else have this problem, and what do you do?

Replies

• asidebottom
    Options
    I feel your pain! It's the squat rack for me so sometimes I have to use the Smith machine which is far from ideal. Assuming you have an adjustable cable column you can do the lat pull down on that, I use a swiss ball to sit on. Strangley I can't lift as high a weight doing it that way, I guess because I am having to use my core to stay upright. With the row you could substitute with a bent over dumbell row.

I bought a copy of "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" the other day, as it offers alternatives to exercises, might be worth thinking about.

Alison
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This happens for me too if I workout at lunchtime (it's a CBD gym so busy with office workers). I just fit it in as I can so the order is often out, I figure as long as I do them all it it's ok even if not ideal.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Similar situation at my gym. Sometimes I'll wait for a machine, other times I'll switch the order of my workouts. I know I know, you're supposed to follow the plan to a T, but that just doesn't always work for me! The other day I knew that another woman was going to use the cable machine after her cardio workout, so I switched and did like A, D, E, D, E, B, C, B, C rather than ABCDE and it worked out well.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Alright, so I'm not a complete failure if I don't follow the workouts perfectly lol.