EM2WL & Braces?

Options
I have been doing em2wl for almost 6 weeks now and loving it so far. My concern now is I just got braces on today and my mouth is so sore. It will be like this for awhile I'm guessing. The Ortho said only soft foods for a couple of days to a week. I tried bread and that was still painful. I can't do dairy so milk shakes are out. Can you guys suggest some good soft food to keep my calories from dropping to low? I don't want to mess up all my hard work but its not looking good. I hope it doesn't interfer with my workouts either. I can't see doing my lifting schedule without fuel. Thanks.

Replies

• momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ouch, I know what you're going through, I had braces a couple of years ago - even a banana is going to hurt your teeth right now. I drank a lot of smoothies (use almond milk to avoid the dairy)! You can also look for some eat clean soup recipes, eat a spoonful of peanut butter, and oatmeal should be ok too (stir in some protein powder for some more calories and flavor). I hope that helps!
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Your teeth will feel better soon, don't worry. I had braces for years.
    I agree with the above poster, make smoothies using something other than dairy. Maybe throw in some protein powder too.
    You can even base smoothies off juice if you don't want to use some kind of milk alternative.
  • deanwifey2002
    deanwifey2002 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. I know this feeling will not last but it sure sucks, lol.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had surgery on his throat a while back; he had to have an all-liquid diet for a few weeks, then slowly add in soft foods, etc. His wife actually just made normal meals and made great use of their blender. Kind of weird to have meatloaf in liquid form, but hey - if it works, why not?? Just a suggestion. :smile:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You can also put egg whites in your oatmeal, you don't taste them, just make sure you cook them thoroughly! Protein powder smoothies may be your best friend for awhile. Greek yogourt has a high protein count. Soups, add protein powder! Soft cooked eggs. egg custard, quiche without the crust, cottage cheese.

The blender idea is great, you can make tuna salad and whirl it down to softer consistency, it might look different but you get the food without the discomfort!

If all else fails you can try some of the commercial meal replacement shakes out there like Ensure and Boost if you have to in a pinch.
  • deanwifey2002
    deanwifey2002 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will have to try something because I am feeling the hunger pains now. I don't want to be too weak to lift. My blender will be working overtime for awhile. I wish I would have gotten braces in my teen's not in my late 30's, lol. Thanks again for the ideas.