Breakfast ideas, please!

Options
My LC Friends, I am very new at LC. I have started just last Fri by just getting ready for the "Induction" while I read my book. I am OK with my lunches and dinners but I really need more ideas for breakfast. Hard-boiled eggs get boring fast, or, and I eat at work so it has to be something I can prep at home and eat later or prep and eat at work. Thank you!

Replies

• PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Pre cooked bacon, or sausage works great. I pop them in the office Microwave and it's breakfast. I also cut up some veggies and add a hard boiled egg too.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I buy "better n egg' and pre-portion it into little tupperware containers on Sundays - 2 eggs worth (nuke in the microwave til the liquid has cooked and all thats left is lovely fluffy scrambled eggs), with 2 turkey sausage patties and a slice of cheese. Its my daily go-to breakfast during the work week.

Lots of folks swear by just having leftovers for breakfast - I am a breakfast girl - so I don't mind eggs every day :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, breakfast is the most challenging meal for me as I eat at my desk. Here is what I eat:

Egg Muffins/ Frittata Muffins.

There are TONS of recipes out there for these, the good news is you can whip up a batch on a Sunday and refrigerate them. Then you just take a couple into work with you for breakfast. Here's a few links:

http://solanaleigh.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/proscuitto-wrapped-frittata-muffins/

http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/recipes/muffin-frittatas

My favourites are: Sausage & smoked bacon, smoked salmon & Dill or ham, cheese & mushroom.

OR

I make a MIM (see MIM thread on this board) and take that with me.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, breakfast doesnt have to be the typical breakfast foods... Im notorious for doing a nice baby spinach salad, rainbow peppers, red onions thinly sliced, sprinkle some almonds for crunch, and some really nice salmon tips highly seasoned. Or Tuna tips, steak tips, chicken, etc...

Im also a fan of soup 24/7... I just made about 1.5 gallons worth of Chicken Vegetable soup using freshly roasted chicken, celery, onion, spinach, zucchini, roasted cloves of garlic, fresh herbs and my stock was homemade as well. Thats a 24/7 meal also.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/breakfast_ideas.html

The above link has MILLIONS (Well, perhaps not millions.... but a lot) of breakkie ideas
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat regular breakfast foods all the time now. Sometimes I eat almonds and cheese. This morning and yesterday I made bacon.... but then I think I ate lunchmeat one morning, too!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've been taking an avocado and mashing it up, adding almond milk and Splenda for a custard-y breakfast treat. I'd probably add flax meal too if I wasn't already adding it to my afternoon smoothie :)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    As others have said, anything that you would normally eat on a low carb diet is fair game for breakfast. It's a hard mindset to break though, as breakfast foods appear limited.

Sometimes I'll skip breakfast completely and just eat some nuts later in the morning, or nothing until lunch. But I'm a big breakfast fan so on weekends I pretty much always make some sort of egg dish with bacon and sausage.

I've also created recipes for almond flour waffles and almond flour biscuits for biscuits and gravy. These are higher in carbs than what you need right now, but certanly great alternatives later.
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been enjoying chopped bacon with grape tomatoes and romaine all mixed together with mayo... a BLT without the bread!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Can you have almond milk and protein powder on your plan?

Designer Whey and Myoplex both have protein powders that are 5g net per serving and unsweetened almond milk is 1g I think. You could do smoothies.. add some peanut butter and they are delicious!

Atkins also has some pre-made shakes and they are pretty good. They come in a four pack for $7.99 so they are kind of pricey, but no more than a Power Bar or any other quick snack food. They have vanilla, chocolate, latte and strawberry, I think.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    As others have said, anything that you would normally eat on a low carb diet is fair game for breakfast. It's a hard mindset to break though, as breakfast foods appear limited.

Sometimes I'll skip breakfast completely and just eat some nuts later in the morning, or nothing until lunch. But I'm a big breakfast fan so on weekends I pretty much always make some sort of egg dish with bacon and sausage.

I've also created recipes for almond flour waffles and almond flour biscuits for biscuits and gravy. These are higher in carbs than what you need right now, but certanly great alternatives later.

Where do you find almond flour? Do you have to order it online? Even our local natural foods store doesn't carry it, I was surprised!