TDEE/activity level and moving?

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Hi all-

We're in the middle of the worst heat wave St. Louis has seen in decades (air temp hit 108 Thursday, I think, and is 104 right now)... and I am getting ready to move! We get the keys to our new apartment Tuesday. We have movers coming for the big stuff (I drive a Kia spectra and my boyfriend drives a Ford Focus, so our cars will both only fit boxes) but we'll be moving all the rest. So next week I'll be packing and loading boxes and moving... our current apartment is on the 3rd floor (no elevator) and the place we're moving to is on the 2nd floor (also no elevator).

I'm starting week 4 of the reset tomorrow; I've been eating at an activity level of 5-6 hours of strenuous activity a week - and, this week, went to the gym 5 times for an hour at a time - but I'm not sure how much I will 'formally' be working out as we're moving, because moving is exhausting in any weather - especially when it's 100+!

So, my question: do I keep eating my TDEE level of 2655, even if I don't make it to the gym? Or do I try to keep up my workouts to match my activity level set for my TDEE?

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Because its only a week where things are a little off exercise wise, Id still keep your same TDEE..You will be surprised how much you will end up burning in the move. You dont need a gym to get in activity:)

If things were lightening up for a few weeks, then Id maybe lower your TDEE, but for a few days or a week.. no. Keep the same level
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Because its only a week where things are a little off exercise wise, Id still keep your same TDEE..You will be surprised how much you will end up burning in the move. You dont need a gym to get in activity:)

If things were lightening up for a few weeks, then Id maybe lower your TDEE, but for a few days or a week.. no. Keep the same level
    ^^^^This^^^^
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Agreed, stay at tdee. You will be doing a lot of cardio and heavy lifting just in the packing and move itself, so if you don't get to the gym, don't worry.

We moved last summer and it was a ton of work. I was starving, and just listened to my body, because carrying furniture down two flights of stairs is exhausting. We are moving in less than two weeks now, but I think it should be easier this time. Good luck with your move. I hope you like your new place. And drink lots and lots of water, maybe even some Gatorade in that heat!
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I helped my son and daughter-in-law move yesterday. I was just ferrying boxes back and forth and not doing heavy furniture items. According to my Fitbit, I burnedat least 500 extra calories with just 3 hours of toting things. Long story short, I agree with everyone else to keep at what you have been doing as you will be getting a work out.

And remember to drink a lot more water - with those temps and a likely high heat index, it would be very easy to get dehydrated! Good luck with the move!
  • SurroDoula
    SurroDoula Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm getting our house ready to put up for sale, so I'm decluttering and doing extra repairs around the house. I'm leaving my intake at the moderate actuvity level I have it set for, even though I don't know how often I will get to exercise. I figure I'll be burning extra with all the moving around, and if not, then I would be eating close to TDEE at light activity.