Restaurants - With and Without GF Menu Items

Options

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    There is a great app called "find me gluten free" that will pull off of your GPS and find all the gluten free places near you.

Downloading now. THANKS! :flowerforyou:
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There is a great app called "find me gluten free" that will pull off of your GPS and find all the gluten free places near you.

That's amazing! Thank you!
  • morrisca
    morrisca Posts: 12
    Options
    I use Find Me, Gluten Free religiously but don't substitute it for good sleuthing. I'm INCREDIBLY SENSITIVE and have unfortunately gotten sick from several of the chains that have gluten-free menus (PF Chang's, Bonefish Grill, Outback). My sister is much less sensitive than me and she doesn't have to worry near as much.

On that vein, I've been eating gluten-free for six months and haven't gotten much better (actually, I should specify, some of my symptoms seem to have changed). I've been told that you actually get more sensitive as your body gets used to living without gluten so that when it then is introduced to even the tiniest amount it has a reaction. Does anyone have any stories of having previously had trouble at restaurants because you are SO sensitive and find this goes away over time? I never learned how to cook and although I'm trying, not being able to eat out at all is really hurting me!
  • gtamomof2
    gtamomof2 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm from Canada and I have two resturants to add to the Listing! Lone Star has GF Tortillas and is very carefull when they bring them out to make sure everything is ok, also East Side Mario's has a Brand new GF menu including Pasta and it is very tasty!!
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Domino's pizza
    Alfy's pizza
    Blazing onion
    Jet City Pizza
    Outback
    Most of our Thai restaurants
    Black angus
    There is a ton more in Seattle but I have yet to hit them up
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Wild Wings.... traditional wings, with either the dry rubs or many of the the sauces. I know the Asian Zing and Teriyaki sauces are not gluten free....
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I thought this might be a nice thread to have: experiences with restaurants and whether they have GF options or not.

I did a search and didn't find a similar thread, but my apologies if this is a duplicate.

I'll start.

Portillo's does NOT have a gluten-free menu nor, apparently, any GF items. I called the one in Buffalo Grove, IL, hoping to discuss some ingredients, and make my own GF meal. The manager simply passed along the message (through the girl who answered the phone) that they "don't have any gluten free items." Boo.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We were at a Portillo's last night and I got a salad without the croutons. Other Chicago area restaurants that offer GF items are Augustino's in Carol Stream or West Chicago, PF Chiangs in Schaumburg, Maggiano's will work with you if you tell them you need GF food. There is a great bakery in Evanston--Rose's Wheat Free Bakery on Central. If I hear of or try somewhere new, I'll let you know.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Canada here, too, and we also love Montana's, and Boston Pizza. We've also gone to Olive Garden and it was great, by a quick discussion with the server you could tell they knew how careful they had to be. Hubs had no problems...'course I can't remember what he ate, sorry! He was happy, anyways.

Pizza Pizza also has GF pizza, and Wendy's is our go-to for chili and a baked potato when you're in a hurry.

I saw someone mention Applebee's, does anyone know if Applebee's in Canada has a GF menu?
  • kricket25
    kricket25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a great Droid app that can find any restaurant with a gluten free menu. Even off the beaten path restaurants. I use it when traveling.

I'm cautious when eating out - I've had my best luck at Panera Bread, ironically. I went to Chili's once and the waiter brought me crouton's all over the gf salad, then took it away, dumped the croutons in the garbage and handed it back to me. I didn't eat it, needless to say.
  • BoyfriendandLover
    Options
    I have been very sensitive to Gluten for 40 years my advice is twofold:

- Learn to cook well. If you are at home you can cook anything GF. From Cakes to Pancakes etc It removes a lot of stress because you know exactly what it is in your meal.
    - Avoid Chains. Chains make bulk sauces etc in a central location. Then they ship them to the franchise, hence the local restaurant has no idea how the food is made or the contents. So you need to go to a local restaurant where the chef cooks the food from scratch. They might be a bit more expensive but if you can talk to the chef then you are well on the way to having a good meal with no unwanted after affects

This is especially difficult if you are eating in a non-english speaking country. The rules above are even more important then!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    In Massachusetts.

I've had pretty consistent good luck at the P.F. Chang's at the Natick Mall. They get a LOT of GF orders, it might be a quarter of their business, so I think they do it pretty well.

I've had BAD luck at the Legal Seafoods in the Natick/Framingham area: they brought me a totally non-gf meal (not just contam, but the wrong, non-GF version). I caught it, they took it back, apologized, brought me a new meal like 40 minutes later (which was lame because I was eating with 5 others) and then told me they would fire the chef FOR ME. I've never felt so guilty for almost getting poisoned. I would never, ever go back there -- even more for how they handled it than for the fact that they almost fed me like two cups of wheat in my meal. I am really sensitive, too. Before that, I had decent luck at the Boston locations.

I *love* the Elephant Walk in the Porter Square area, but I've had bad luck with the location that might be in Newton or Brighton or Brookline or wherever it is (never with gluten, but several times with giving me the meat version when I ordered the veggie version). Now I only go to Porter because I feel I can trust it. The food is awesome, and they have the rare GF/vegetarian/vegan crossover dishes. On Sunday, they have a prix fixe brunch menu that is $30 per plate instead of the usual $40.
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    We recently went out for a co-workers retirement lunch (he also is celiac) and so we let him choose the place.

We are in eastern Canada, and he chose Pizza Delight. They now do GF pizza, garlic fingers and quite a few other GF options. The pizza and garlic fingers were very good!!!
  • irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For anyone in the MD/ Wash D.C/ VA area looking for something a little different:

Tea on the Tiber, a Victorian Tearoom in Historic Ellicott City has a GF Menu. It's a little more expensive than their traditional tea but worth every penny. They have the most amazing gf scones and sandwiches. They also have their gf bakery make the same desserts that their other patrons get for their tea. Their menu changes monthly but the quality is always the same.

They do ask for advance reservations since they prepare their food fresh every day.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place and typically go once every couple of months just to treat myself :flowerforyou:
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a great Droid app that can find any restaurant with a gluten free menu. Even off the beaten path restaurants. I use it when traveling.

I'm cautious when eating out - I've had my best luck at Panera Bread, ironically. I went to Chili's once and the waiter brought me crouton's all over the gf salad, then took it away, dumped the croutons in the garbage and handed it back to me. I didn't eat it, needless to say.

What do you get at Panera?
  • kbrooks323
    kbrooks323 Posts: 22
    Options
    This week I actually discovered Chic-fil-a has some awesome GF items!! When you're in the mood to be bad and have some fast food this is definitely a great option. They offer GRILLED chicken nuggets! Only 110 calories in a 6 piece-- and they were DELICIOUS! The waffle fries are gluten free as well, and most of the dipping sauces! It was a really great fast food lunch. Oh plus the diet lemonade (only 30 calories and it tastes even BETTER than the regular lemonade that has 340 calories!). I got so excited by this lunch! You guys should check it out. :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    A lot of the pizza places by me are starting to do GF pizzas. The one place has these kits - the crust is in its own pan and comes with its own pizza cutter. :)
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Outback and Olive Garden have gluten free menus and Red Robin even has gluten free buns....Sometimes you just have to ask....By the way, Dominos had advertised gluten free pizza crusts... But that is all.. It is not a gluten free pizza because they make it with the same ingredients and utensils as regular pizzas. I inquired and they offer the gluten free for people who are reducing the gluten in their diet....Not for celiacs....
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Here in South Central PA our options are VERY limited, but here is what I've found...
    Red Robin-Udi Buns are GREAT!
    Macaroni Grill-GF corn pasta
    Bonefish Grill-they have a special GF menu and everything, but despite that, I got pretty sick! Sicker than usual, in fact!
    Cracker Barrel-they were great!

In Frederick, MD there is a bakery that is entirely devoted to GF! I almost cried when I tasted the bread!!! She said many people have cried, it is that good! It is by Ft. Detrick off of Rosemont. I think it is called Fredericktowne bakers? She makes a brown rice flour, too. Such a helpful and nice lady!
  • Mamacass13
    Mamacass13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The more I look the more I find and have been pretty pleased. I don't eat somewhere that does not have an allergy/gfree menu. I ate at Stroud's in North KC and was sick sick sick. They are well known for their fried chicken, but I tried my best to order clean with no sauces, seasoning, grilled pork, etc, still was sick :( I knew better.

But here in Kansas City, MO there are several places I have found, many of the same already mentioned.

Pei Wei (FAVORITE!)
    Spin Pizza (SECOND FAV!)
    Waldo Pizza
    Minsky's
    Olive Garden
    Red Robin
    5 Guys
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Jose Peppers (it's difficult to figure this one out because they just list their gfree ingredients, so I had to pull together my own meal, but it worked!)
    Longhorn
    Jason's Deli
    Carrabas
    The Melting Pot
    Outback
    54th Street
    Chili's
    McCoys
    PF Changs

I'm sure there are more, which is nice to finally be able to say!