Options
Hi all

Are any of you guys Fitbit users?

Andy

Replies

• nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No but from what I have read, it seems the best of the available HRM's.
  • Mandy5264
    Mandy5264 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    excuse my dumbness but what is a fitbit?
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    It is a heart rate monitor (HRM). They are used to track steps, heart rate and therefore calories burned.

It's easy to measure calories consumed but very difficult to calculate what you are burning. The theory is that if you know what you are burning, you can adjust your intake, particularly when you are exercising and should be eating back some of your calories burned. How people use a HRM differs wildly and there are lots of conversations about how accurate they are, but the generally accepted view is that they give you a much better idea than you would have otherwise
  • Mandy5264
    Mandy5264 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is a heart rate monitor (HRM). They are used to track steps, heart rate and therefore calories burned.

It's easy to measure calories consumed but very difficult to calculate what you are burning. The theory is that if you know what you are burning, you can adjust your intake, particularly when you are exercising and should be eating back some of your calories burned. How people use a HRM differs wildly and there are lots of conversations about how accurate they are, but the generally accepted view is that they give you a much better idea than you would have otherwise

Thanks for that Stephen
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering what a fitbit is now I know ta
  • AndyCouchman
    Options
    Hi
    It doesn't show heart rate.
    You need to use a HRM to input that into the Fitbit
    Andy
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    Thanks Andy. that prompted me to take a look at their website. I was almost entirely wrong it seems. It's more like a very sophisticated pedometer! And quite pricey too though I haven't looked on Ebay for a second hand one.

I can see how it could be useful but if they could combine it with a proper HRM I think you would have a really useful tool

Have you been looking at others?
  • MeadMews
    MeadMews Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Andy, I brought one the other day as a bit a motivational tool. I got the Fitbit one. Still working it out, but so far so good. Been looking at them for a while but couldn't justify the expense. Though surprisingly since the ex Mrs ran off I can justify anything now :) though after just pressing the "buy it" button I see in the States they are bring out a "New" one, The Flex!! Typical :(
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am!
  • paulgoo1
    paulgoo1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Was given a Fitbit Flex for Christmas and over the moon with it. I can see this being the re-motivation I needed. Was making steady progress early last year with MFP but life got in the way!
    BTW if you havent found it yet there is a MFP group on Fitbit forum http://www.fitbit.com/group/22872T
    Paul