Tips

Options
IamSheaMc
IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
This thread is for all the tips you have to offer your other workout buddies, anything to make this journey easier. What are some of the things you do that you find help you through the days. (healthy snacks, additional ways to burn ect)

My tips:
Don't become a slave to the scale,choose the days you want to weigh in and wait! Be it every week or every 10 days whatever it is don't get on the scale every day, it WILL drive you insane.

Get a tape/inch measure! To me losing inches is just as good as losing weight, people notice inches gone.

Drink water lots of it. Drink about 2 cups 2hrs prior to working out drink after working out, drink before and after each meal. One cup of water before a meal helps to fill you up.
{your weight devided by 2} is generally how many oz of water you need, but with exercise it might be more.

Replies

• _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shea, my scale comes out once a week, if that. It lives under the mega pack of TP in my bathroom closet. My tape measure is one of my best friends. I'll be recording 1 a week, but every 2 weeks is good, too.

Water. drink lots. I have a 1 litre jug (32oz) that I fill at least 4x a day. And I'll drink more if I drink anything other than water to help flush it out faster.

workouts, if you like music; play it! Tony can get a little, well, annoying after a while, but you still need to hear him for transitions for some things since you are on the floor etc..but it's good to get some fun going on with music.

Try at least once to workout in front of a mirror or reflective surface like your tv screen to check on your form. form is important-more important IMO than reps, so try your best to have good form.

take before pics. even if you are the only one who will ever see them, you will be thankful that you did in 90 days. you will find that water weight will come off first, then you will stall a bit. do not worry. By month 2, take more pics and you will see the difference. by the end of the time, you will be amazed!

if something goes to slow for you (like kenpo for me), or his transitions while he coaches for form- add some squats, jumping jacks or something to keep moving.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    It's good to familiarize yourself with the workout before hand, this way you know when the 30min breaks are coming up. This helps me!

If you don't want to spend 55 mins watching the tape before, grab your "Fitness Guide" the black book and skip to pages 36-100, these pages have a break down of the moves and how long each moves are which is usually 30 secs and the forth is sometimes 60 secs.

You can check out the moves on each DVD seperately(before your work out), you don't have to read the 90+ pages at once :)

Don't be scared it's not a lot of reading. :laugh:
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shea and Katy for the tips, they are really useful.:flowerforyou:
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the lean program on P90X, so if there's ever a workout I'm not really looking forward to....like Yoga, I remind myself I'll have more of a burn with my second workout of Zumba or running.

I also try to drink a lot more water, at least half my body weight.

I also tell myself I get a good/healthy snack or meal afterwards....lol!

I'm not the greatest with push ups or ABS....but I try my best and just do something. I may cheat on the push up by doing a girlie one or I may not do as many sit ups...as long as I am doing some at my maximum rate.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I still haven't got around to buying a yoga block, but I use an old shoe box instead - I will eventually get a block but if your stuck like I was, then you could use some other things you have :)
  • _SASX_
    Options
    If you don't have a pull up bar at home, or have untrustworthy walls (until the reno) like I do, BUT you have a heavy table, use that. Do reclined pull ups and chins. not quite the same as pulling your whole bodyweight, but it works! Just remember to use one f the narrow ends, gives you a bit more stability, and if you're unsure, put some weight on top of the opposing end, ike a cooler, or something.
  • stljpascoe
    stljpascoe Posts: 12
    Options
    The table is good, never thought of that. Also the top of a solid door. Hold the top and rest your forearms on the door and get busy!!!
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    For anyone who doesnt have a HRM and want to get an estimation of calories burnt with this workout Sarah (a fellow member) suggested a site which I compared to my HRM and there was only a difference of 11. My HMR said 376 and the site said 365 calories burnt.

Here's the link!

http://p90xcalories.com/
  • muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options
    If there is one tip i can pass on is that you need to go at your own pace and dont get discouraged if you cannot keep up or even finish the session. It was not until the 4th week that i was finaly able to make it through yoga and kenpo, and dont even get me started on plyometrics..the first week the freakin warm up wasted me, lol. But each week im doing more and more. Do what you can do at the rate you can do it (while still pushing yourself).
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks Corey,
    I felt like I was giving in too early and just being a wimp cos I couldn't handle the Ab Ripper.This will keep me focused
    M
  • _SASX_
    Options
    Thought of another tip while working out this morning.

never forget that you can modify anything. A squat jump becomes a squat. a push up mods to knees or box, running into jogging into walking.

also, food wise-once you've eaten what you want to for the day, go brush your teeth. that way you're less likely to eat again, with that minty freshness in your mouth.