Sever Muscle Pain when Lunging

Options
cirka2002
cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
OK, for the second time while doing NROL I've had sever pain in the front of my thigh when lunging. Both times have been towards the end of a stage. (just completed stage 2). It hurts like I am about to tear or snap the (quad?) muscle in my rear leg. It scares me so bad that I just stop what I am doing and usually don't try again for a while. I try to stretch well before the workouts, but it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas???

Jennifer

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    The back of your thigh is the bicep femoris , and behind the knee is the poplitius (it unlocks the knee..allows you to bend it). Try to use a foam roller (Target $20 with dvd) on the back of your butt, thighs, behind the knee, and calves. 10 min before and after working out. Static stretches before working out will cause damage to the muscle if it's not warmed up first.
  • cirka2002
    Options
    The back of your thigh is the bicep femoris , and behind the knee is the poplitius (it unlocks the knee..allows you to bend it). Try to use a foam roller (Target $20 with dvd) on the back of your butt, thighs, behind the knee, and calves. 10 min before and after working out. Static stretches before working out will cause damage to the muscle if it's not warmed up first.

I've heard of the foam rollers, will need to look into them. But it's not the back of my leg that hurts, it's the big muscle in the front. And when I lunge, it hurts whichever leg is in the back position.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I miss read your post (way to hot here). OK, there are 4 large muscles on the front thigh together "quads", so use the foam roller there. When you do squats are you able to break parallel? If not you may be "shortening" the muscle group and the massage with the foam roller will help.
  • cirka2002
    Options
    thanks again!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The rear quad is not the primary working muscle group, so yeah it could be a stretching issue. You can find some stretches online for the quads, spend some time working on that and see if it helps.

Meanwhile maybe you could try elevating the front leg a bit? Or maybe your stance is a bit too wide?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    make sure your knee isn't going past your foot too, you may be over extending
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i think i pulled my quad in the lunges/splitsquats... those were brutal.. hopefully its healed up by now.