Im an easy gainer... but what to do about plateau

Options
Started lifting 4 months ago - increased bench by 70 lbs to 195 and curls to 50... deadlifts just started recently but I can do 135 for 8 reps... but my bench has been slow to increase... I am trying to cut though - should I just accept that I won't get any stronger.

Replies

• getsixpack
    getsixpack Posts: 49
    Options
    Also cutting with high protein, low carb, no cardio plan
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    lay out your training program with set/rep schemes
  • getsixpack
    Options
    Usually do this - no real day schedule but follow this in order:

Day 1:
    Incline barbell Bench 195 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Flat barbell bench 195 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Closed grip flat barbell bench 141 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Dumbbell flies 40 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets

then skull crushers like 80 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets

Day 2:
    Preacher curls 50 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Dumbell rows 70 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Used to do pullups but I found out that the dumbbell rows actually improved my pullup reps anyway - but if I did them 15-20 reps x 3 sets
    Started doing Barbell curls - 80 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Deadlifts 135lbs or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets

Day 3:
    Dumb bell press 60 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Shrugs 60 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    lat raises 35 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Rear delt flies 35 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets
    Cuban presses 30 or whatever I can do x 8-10 reps for 3 sets

Day: 4 rest
    Day 5: rest or start from day 1 again

I don't do squats right now cuz no squat rack yet and bc whenever I did squats heavy before my endurance dropped significantly and I like to run sometimes

OK Im coming off a bulk but still on my bulk I was at a plateau at everything for a month until now.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Started lifting 4 months ago - increased bench by 70 lbs to 195 and curls to 50... deadlifts just started recently but I can do 135 for 8 reps... but my bench has been slow to increase... I am trying to cut though - should I just accept that I won't get any stronger.

First is you just started out 4 months ago and already plateaued. Not really an easy gainer. 99% of the Time a plateau is caused from Diet.. The other 1% is from Over or Under Training. From the looks of your workout. I'm guessing Diet and lack of Training.

Just by Glancing at your Workout...

1. More Tricep exercises
    2. ...........DO LEGS....
    2. Put Biceps and Triceps on there own day.
    3. Give Chest it's own day
    4. Give Back it's own day

Do something like this...

Chest (Abs)
    Back (Calves)
    Shoulders (Ab's)
    Arms (Calves)
    Legs (Ab's)
  • getsixpack
    Options
    Dude im doign two tricep exercises on chest day... do I really need more? Isnt deadlifts legs? Also I thought chest and triceps should be on same day -correct me if Im wrong. Thanks.

First is you just started out 4 months ago and already plateaued. Not really an easy gainer. 99% of the Time a plateau is caused from Diet.. The other 1% is from Over or Under Training. From the looks of your workout. I'm guessing Diet and lack of Training.

1. More Tricep exercises

Chest (Abs)
    Back (Calves)
    Shoulders (Ab's)
    Arms (Calves)
    Legs (Ab's)
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Dude im doign two tricep exercises on chest day... do I really need more? Isnt deadlifts legs? Also I thought chest and triceps should be on same day -correct me if Im wrong. Thanks.

Yes your wrong. Deadifts hit the Lower back and Legs about Equal. Deadlifts are great, but it can't be the only lower body exercise you do. Most people put Deadlifts on Back Day. If that tells you something.

Look up Zearcher Squats. No Squat Rack Needed.

Doing triceps and Chest day or Biceps on Back day. Your Muscles are not getting the full focus and training needed. You are neglecting all four body parts.

Pick 4 exercises for each body part and do 4 sets of 10-12 Reps for each. Along with the Training Split I listed above..
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Yeah, you need to do a lot more lower body work, even if you can't squat.

And your reps aren't in the optimal range for maximizing strength. If you're looking to get stronger, I would keep it around 3-6 reps.
  • getsixpack
    Options
    hmm - I seriously do not want to do squats - I've gotten up to squatting 225 for reps but I couldn't run for crap in terms of endurance.... 3-6 reps? Hmm... Ive been aiming for 8 - I thought 3-6 was more for power lifting...
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Well since your original question was about chest I'll address that. First off, make sure you are using correct form and you're doing a complete movement. None of this "down a couple inches and back up business". I touch the bar to my chest for each rep. If it means I have to use less weight, so be it. If you're plateauing then change up what you're doing. Do some heavier, lower reps. Do some lighter, higher reps. Do some negatives.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You're a beginner mate. full body, 3 X per week.

Its not rocket science.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Shoulda just said, hey I have no clue what I'm doing.

You didn't hit a plateau, you either maxed out what you can do with your diet or what you can do with your less than stellar split.

You're not getting in enough volume per muscle group to see progress. Period. You need to either do a more complete (big compound movments) full body workout, or separate your workouts and really focus on what you're doing, cuz the way you've laid out your program, you have no focus.

Example, you cannot do back and bi's in one day like you are. Your bicep is composed of 2 completely different heads each requiring different exercises to fully exhaust each. I'm willing to bet you didn't know that.

Follow Run2Jeepn's suggested plan, pick up some of the latest bodybuildin mags and do some homework.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You're a beginner mate. full body, 3 X per week.

Its not rocket science.

^^^^^^^ This!

What are your ultimate goals? In my opinion, get rid of all the isolation exercises and focus your efforts on compound movements. When you have gained all the mass you want (which will take quite some time) then you can focus on more isolation stuff to hit maybe some lagging body parts for instance. Make sure you are eating enough to actually grow and get stronger, if you are not gaining in size or strength, which sounds like what you are after, it is probably that you have underestimated your calorie intake.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When you are starting out, anything you do seems to work..Even if what you are doing is terribly flawed..Judging from your post it looks as if your goals are to get past the stick points and continue getting stronger. You should look at your training routine because it does not exactly match that goal. Your training lacks any kind of balance and its a good way to not only not get stronger but create imbalance and ultimately injury..I would suggest finding a training program/system that takes a lot of the guess work out of things and can get you moving back in the right direction.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    hmm - I seriously do not want to do squats - I've gotten up to squatting 225 for reps but I couldn't run for crap in terms of endurance.... 3-6 reps? Hmm... Ive been aiming for 8 - I thought 3-6 was more for power lifting...

3-6 is powerlifting. You said you wanted to get stronger, didn't you?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I repeat...you are a beginner...
    Just hit the basics.
    At the moment you are not strong. Your deadlift should be double your bench :p
  • getsixpack
    Options
    Recommend some of these programs - anyway Ive been binging on a ton of food and beer this past week and my bench has increased to 200 for reps... but yeah when I look in the mirror I can tell that my body is getting unbalanced - my upper body is huge and a little fat while my lower body is still skinny despite the weight gain from the bulk.... can I just replace squats with dumbbell lunges?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    can I just replace squats with dumbbell lunges?

Yes you can. I'm doing that at the moment in fact and It's really improved my glutes. It's good to do new things every now and then so go back to squatting at some point, it's a great exercise.
  • ADHDentrepreneur
    Options

1. More Tricep exercises

Chest (Abs)
    Back (Calves)
    Shoulders (Ab's)
    Arms (Calves)
    Legs (Ab's)
    Nice reply. I love when guys come up and say, "I get big really easy, just give me some tips on getting shredded.. I could look big like you if I wanted to, I chose not to though"
    A bodybuilder of any sort must have years under his/her belt before a clear understanding of the physique can be established. Anyone that lifts reasonably hard and eats something will gain some newb strength and size. Getting past that point is not a plateau, it's bodybuilding.
    I'll add a couple more good tips.
    1. Use MFP to track macros. Getting 2,3, 400 grams of protein/day is difficult, especially for new bbers.. You're probably under your protein more often than you think.
    2. Amp up your post workout. Sugar, creatine, protein, in that order.
    3. Sleep more
    4. Be patient, 4 months of lifting made me giggle.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Make your Diary public and maybe we can know what you are trying to do currently. Don't accept the fact that you cannot get any stronger. Your diet plays a big role in everything you do. One of the most common reasons why people reach a plateau in strength even if their diet is right is that they are overtraining, doing too many sets a workout, and are not focusing on getting stronger.

My main advice to you is this, post your diary or tell us what you are eating. Consider training in high intensity. In other words aim for shorter sets and little rest in between sets. For example you can do your good ole warmup set which most people use weight light enough to lift in within the 12-14 failure range.

Set 1

Weight that you can push for 7-8 reps to failure

Rest 1 min

Set 2

Heavier weight that you can push for 7-8 reps to failure

Rest 1 min

Set 3

Heaviest weight that you can use and push for 5-6 reps to failure

Rest 1 min

Do the same with 2 exercises for that same body part. This works well for chest for example. You may need to adjust depending on your training level. Try not to train two heavy body parts in one session if strength is what you are aiming at. It is Ok however to do back and chest two consecutive days. If you workout with a partner consider doing negatives as well.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    German Volume Training uses a similar principle as well except that is different. 10 sets 10 reps 60-90 seconds rest of the same exercise but one exercise per body part. The only difference is that GVT uses one exercise but it carries the same rest principle more stimulation stand point. I think that for some people they tend to lose form after doing a certain amount of sets of compound exercises. That is why continuing on doing your sets with other exercises such as cable, hammer strength, or even machine will allow you to give proper stimulation to your bodypart which is the point of lifting weights for muscle growth. Anyways, you will see thousands of workouts in magazines and many bodybuilding websites that are not even what the Pro's do. Most pro's leave the gym after 30-40 min.