Feeling so discouraged, frustrated and fat....

Options
MeDoula
MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
I woke up this morning and been bowling my eyes out after stepping on the scale. Told DH that I was done with all of "this". This is actually my status update on MFP from this morning: "VERY frustrated! Weight before Insanity: 162.4, weight after Insanity: 164.7, weight after not being able to work out for couple of weeks: 167.6. Still eating at a deficit so what is going on? I don't know how long I will be able to stick with this "eating more" if I don't see anything changing soon."

I ate at TDEE for couple days when I wasn't able to work out (didn't know it was my TDEE until I renewed my Bodybugg). Since I started wearing my Bodybugg, I adjusted my cal intake to a cut again (a week maybe?). Or maybe I'm experiencing a second bloating period from not lowering my cal and eating at TDEE for couple days? Or maybe my body is confused and that's why I'm putting on weight?
My food log doesn't reflect 100% accurate intake. Some days, I added another snack but completed the calculations in my head, still weighted my food and practiced portion control so overeating is definitely not the issue.

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I can understand how frustrating this can be. Questions: How long have you been eating more and at what deficit (-15%)? Did you do a reset?
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    oh no!! i hate crappy days...

are you only going off of what the scale says? there is an article that was floating around:

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/stop-weighing-on-the-scale-for-weight-loss/

the 4th picture down really tells the tale: scales arent a perfect reflection of success. especially if your doing Insanity....i bet you have built a lot of muscle
  • MeDoula
    Options
    No, I didn't do a reset. I'm happy that I didn't because the Scooby calculations estimated way too high for me.

I upped my calories on May 10. Finished Insanity in May and did Asylum for couple days until I got sick. I haven't worked out for about 2-3 weeks. I just now started P90X and only did 1 workout.
  • MeDoula
    Options
    My change in inches was minimal during Insanity.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    From what I read it sounds like you need to stick to a certain number to eat (Cut of 15%) and stick with it...Eat this number of calories EVERYDAY...The main thing with this process is that you have to be CONSISTENT with eating your calories otherwise your body is not going to trust that you are going to feed it correctly on a regular basis and it will hold onto what it can for later....Make sense?

If needed redo your numbers on scooby starting now with this weight and make sure to eat this amount everyday...Also, make sure you are netting above BMR and this should only need to be done on occasion, if it is happening often you may need to up your activity level to get the correct number for you....Another biggie is to have PATIENCE b/c this is a process - a lifestyle change not a quick fix and with you doing the workouts that you are doing you have to expect some water weight and muscle gain....Take measurements and pictures of yourself....You should at least notice changes there...Best of luck to you!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! :)
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you are doing mostly cardio, you might not see a large decrease in inches plus inches are a slow thing to see (I measure only once a month for those). When you first start out eating more, it is very common that your weight will go up (especially considering that your eating/exercise patterns haven't been consistent). However, you should see some results after 6 weeks of consistent practices (eating/workouts) and if you don't, then you move on to the next step...a reset.

My suggestion to you is to do your best to get consistent with your exercise now that you are able to do so, make sure you are eating the SAME AMOUNT EVERY DAY at your 15% cut. After about 6 weeks of consistency, re-evaluate your progress. If you don't start to see inches and/or weight dropping off, then it may be that you do require that reset (your body can reset at cut if you are coming up from lower calories sometimes instead of recognizing that the deficit is a cut)

Consistency is so key to this process in order to determine where you are at, and what you need to do to see progress. Keep it up, you can do this and we are here to support you through it!! :flowerforyou:
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I had similar results with Insanity. I lost 4 lbs by the end of the program. My problem was I had no clue about TDEE or BMR. Sounds like you are not giving you body enough time to adjust before you make changes to you diet. A week is hardly long enough for your body to adjust. And also Insanity is mostly cardio so you may have lost inches. Try eating at a certain for more than a week ( I was told at least 2 months) and see what happens. Good luck and dont be discouraged. Consider the NSV. Have you had any? :flowerforyou:
  • MeDoula
    Options
    I'm honestly confused by the "consistency" mentioned. :huh:

My intake goal is 1800 cal (incl cut) per day when working out. This is what I calculated based on the numbers my Bodybugg is giving me (and often times it varies by several tens). Scooby calculator was overestimating my intake. On days that I'm not working out my TDEE is around 1850. Should I cut from that to get to the number of cal left on workout days (NET)? Otherwise how is that supposed to be consistent? Wouldn't my body be confused if I had a net of 1600 one day (workouts days) and a net of 1800 another day (non workout days)? Since joining this group I didn't go below my BMR.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, you want to eat your TDEE - 15% EVERY DAY whether you work out or not. The only time you need to eat back exersice calories is if your burn brings your NET value lower than BMR, in which case you eat back until you reach BMR.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options

My intake goal is 1800 cal (incl cut) per day when working out. This is what I calculated based on the numbers my Bodybugg is giving me (and often times it varies by several tens). Scooby calculator was overestimating my intake. On days that I'm not working out my TDEE is around 1850. Should I cut from that to get to the number of cal left on workout days (NET)? Otherwise how is that supposed to be consistent? Wouldn't my body be confused if I had a net of 1600 one day (workouts days) and a net of 1800 another day (non workout days)? Since joining this group I didn't go below my BMR.

I've seen many here who have a BMF take the average TDEE over a week's time and use that to determine the cut value. That way you're compensating for the less active days and as long as your numbers stay pretty consistent, it should work well for you. So say your weekly average is 2100 burned, take 15% from that and eat that amount EVERY DAY, regardless of activity level. Make more sense?
  • gjriddle
    gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    oh no!! i hate crappy days...

are you only going off of what the scale says? there is an article that was floating around:

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/stop-weighing-on-the-scale-for-weight-loss/

the 4th picture down really tells the tale: scales arent a perfect reflection of success. especially if your doing Insanity....i bet you have built a lot of muscle

I LOVE this link! Saving it forever! :heart:
  • MeDoula
    Options

I've seen many here who have a BMF take the average TDEE over a week's time and use that to determine the cut value. That way you're compensating for the less active days and as long as your numbers stay pretty consistent, it should work well for you. So say your weekly average is 2100 burned, take 15% from that and eat that amount EVERY DAY, regardless of activity level. Make more sense?

Yes it does. Thank you!
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Yes it does. Thank you!

Just as another vote on this ... I have a bodymedia fit, and have calculated my cut based on that average, and on days I don't work (I'm a crazy active nanny) or workout, I am eating decently close to my TDEE, but it hasn't seemed to really affect my weight loss, even if my BMF says my deficit wasn't all that large. I think our bodies really do reward us for intake consistency even when the amount we burn varies from day to day :)