How Important Is Consistency?

Options
deevatude
deevatude Posts: 322 Member
for instance, my calorie goal is 2100 but on some days of the week i go over that to around 2500 plus calories. i have been dancing around the same 5 pounds lost and gained for 2 months

i will admit that i never consistent, i have never solely eaten 2100 calories. the calories i do eat are all over the place but i do not net below my bmr

for those that are consistent, do u notice consistent weight loss?

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question . . . and here is the answer I got:

My question:

"Does anyone out there know how consistent is consistent when doing a reset? I know consistency is key - no doubt about that. But if I'm within 100 calories of my TDEE up or down each day, is that okay? And every now and again (yesterday for example) I'm 300 over. Am I killing my reset if I fluctuate that much? "

Answer:

Consistency is key. However, from what I've been able to ascertain from things Kiki has said, she would eat at OR above her TDEE amount while resetting. Eating 100 cals too low once in a while is not going to destroy all your hard work, but if you do it too often or too low regularly, it may take your body a little longer to fully reset at the right number. The biggest thing with a reset is getting your metabolism line RAISED...that's why going over (although you may gain a few more pounds that way) isn't as bad as being under.

I'm not sure if you are dong a full reset or not, but I have been told consistency is key in training your metabolism that it's not going to be starved the following day (or overworked with a ton of calorie burning exercise - it's the same thing to our systems) so you are able to let go of the extra fat storage and reserves in favor of a leaner you. Hope this helps a little?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question . . . and here is the answer I got:

My question:

"Does anyone out there know how consistent is consistent when doing a reset? I know consistency is key - no doubt about that. But if I'm within 100 calories of my TDEE up or down each day, is that okay? And every now and again (yesterday for example) I'm 300 over. Am I killing my reset if I fluctuate that much? "

Answer:

Consistency is key. However, from what I've been able to ascertain from things Kiki has said, she would eat at OR above her TDEE amount while resetting. Eating 100 cals too low once in a while is not going to destroy all your hard work, but if you do it too often or too low regularly, it may take your body a little longer to fully reset at the right number. The biggest thing with a reset is getting your metabolism line RAISED...that's why going over (although you may gain a few more pounds that way) isn't as bad as being under.

I'm not sure if you are dong a full reset or not, but I have been told consistency is key in training your metabolism that it's not going to be starved the following day (or overworked with a ton of calorie burning exercise - it's the same thing to our systems) so you are able to let go of the extra fat storage and reserves in favor of a leaner you. Hope this helps a little?

What she said:)
    I will likely try to go slightly over my TDEE daily than be under.. if im under, I try to be within 100 cals or so.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the reset or the cut? If you are doing reset I completely agree with above and it's okay to go over but if you are at cut I would think that you should try to stay as close to your cut amount as possible b/c if you are going over your cut by 400 calories or so then you are going to gain weight b/c you are probably eating at closer to TDEE...Make sense???

And YES, CONSISTENCY is the key here b/c you want your body to know that this is what you are going to fuel it with everyday...Not somedays I get a bunch of food then another day I don't get as much so I am going to keep some for later...That is why consistency is so important - To let your body trust you and how you fuel it...So it will let go of the calories it is keeping for later use...You want it to use them NOW...Just my opinion though...
  • deevatude
    Options
    i am doing the cut.

i just cant stop eating lol
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i am doing the cut.

I understand that part completely....I am starting my cut on Monday after 6wks of reset and I am a little scared that I am going to be ravenous for a few days until I get used to the cut amount...But, soon your body does get used to it, you just have to be consistent and have patience for sure.

If you are doing the cut - Like I said above if you are eating up to 400 more calories per day then that can cause some weight gain...Try to put your cut at 20% for now just to give you a little more calories to eat and once you get used to that go to the 15% cut...If you have quite a bit of weight to lose then I would stick with the 20% for a while anyway. I hope this helps you some. :)

Just remember: YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a reset too, and I'm finding it really helps to have a more accurate TDEE picture. I recently started using a BodyMedia FIT Link, and I was surprised at how my TDEE varies from one day to the next. Mine might vary more than some people's because of my sleep disorder, and more variable energy level that results from it, but I think it would be a good tool for anyone on a reset. I'm able to eat much closer to each day's ACTUAL TDEE, not just the estimates I've found.

I chose this model because of it being the highest rated in reviews I found, but I got it for much less than retail ($90, as opposed to $200) and brand new in the box on eBay.
  • deevatude
    Options
    i am doing the cut.

I understand that part completely....I am starting my cut on Monday after 6wks of reset and I am a little scared that I am going to be ravenous for a few days until I get used to the cut amount...But, soon your body does get used to it, you just have to be consistent and have patience for sure.

If you are doing the cut - Like I said above if you are eating up to 400 more calories per day then that can cause some weight gain...Try to put your cut at 20% for now just to give you a little more calories to eat and once you get used to that go to the 15% cut...If you have quite a bit of weight to lose then I would stick with the 20% for a while anyway. I hope this helps you some. :)

Just remember: YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

i have 30 pounds to lose, is 20 % good for that?
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Would it be better the other way round? Start at the smaller cut 10/15% so you have more kcal, them increase to 20% cut if you need and feel you can manage on less later.