Bench technique

Options
tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
When you bench do you make sure to keep your butt on the bench or not? What's the difference? What's the point of those that keep their feet in the air (not allowing any butt raise)?

To get max weight up, I haven't cared as of yet to keep it down, just wondering if I need to.

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Butt on the bench, lower back arched and off of the bench, shoulders back, elbows tucked in slightly...all good things to avoid injury and stimulate the chest properly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    and feet planted on the floor. i like to pull them back a little toward my butt rather than straight down. seems to help me with my back arch and keeping shoulders back somehow.
  • getsixpack
    getsixpack Posts: 49
    Options
    What do u guys think of keeping ur back flat on the bench but your feet not necessarily flat on the floor? Im short so I can barely put my feeet on the floor but it doesn't seem to affect my benching cuz my back never leaves the bench.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    and feet planted on the floor. i like to pull them back a little toward my butt rather than straight down. seems to help me with my back arch and keeping shoulders back somehow.
    Wish I could do that. My short *kitten* legs are about 2 inches too short to reach the floor. I put my feet up on the foot rest on the end of the bench, which is about 6 inches off the ground and lever from there to get my back up a bit.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why but if you use dumbbells instead of a bar when doing chest presses it's damn near impossible to arch your back.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Awesome. I'm going to try to put more arch in my back.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why but if you use dumbbells instead of a bar when doing chest presses it's damn near impossible to arch your back.

noticed this too. i always figured it's due to the awkwardness of getting into position.
  • getsixpack
    Options
    Or its cuz dumbbells are awesome - wish I focused on doing DB presses but I bought most of my stuff for barbell benching
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Since PL comps require that you keep you're butt on the bench that is what I do :)

I believe the people who are keeping their feet in the air are attempting to utilise the core more. Alternatively, you could bench properly and use more weight :tongue:
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Since PL comps require that you keep you're butt on the bench that is what I do :)

I believe the people who are keeping their feet in the air are attempting to utilise the core more. Alternatively, you could bench properly and use more weight :tongue:

Really? Cause i always just assumed they were clueless and hadnt ever looked into technique :P
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Really? Cause i always just assumed they were clueless and hadnt ever looked into technique :P

I suppose that could also be the case :laugh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    When you bench do you make sure to keep your butt on the bench or not? What's the difference? What's the point of those that keep their feet in the air (not allowing any butt raise)?

To get max weight up, I haven't cared as of yet to keep it down, just wondering if I need to.

The feet in the air takes out leg drive, which I wouldn't reccommend for heavy attempts.
    butt has to stay on the bench for the lift to really count.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    What do u guys think of keeping ur back flat on the bench but your feet not necessarily flat on the floor? Im short so I can barely put my feeet on the floor but it doesn't seem to affect my benching cuz my back never leaves the bench.
    Use some weights under your feet. I feel when my back is totally flat, it engages the shoulder muscles too much and makes them more prone for injury
  • getsixpack
    Options
    Heh could that be good too though? I've increased my bench rep weight an average of 5 lbs every two weeks for the past 4 months with my feet barely touching the ground and my incline rep.weight is equal to.my flat (205) while my shoulders look pretty big.
    Use some weights under your feet. I feel when my back is totally flat, it engages the shoulder muscles too much and makes them more prone for injury
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Personally when I am benching I lay on my back like everyone does, bring chest up, and contract my abdominal muscle slightly, and position my feet straight rested on the floor. You are going to get many opinions here and people are gonna fight about who is right or not and that you are doing it wrong lol. Your body should tell you if you have proper position because if you end up doing it incorrect then you will find out that you worked your shoulders or triceps more than your chest. If the set gave you a pretty good simulation on the chest area and you felt that burn on your chest then you are fine.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I can get a few extra pounds out of the lift if my feet are on the ground, butt on the bench and my back arched. Thumb over the bar so I don't stress my shoulders. Right before I lift up, I push though my feet, flex though my back and finally start the push up
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Arching back, and bring chest up macho style, keeping bar in the lower area of my peck is the way I bench. Just basic fundamentals really.