Team 8 - The Ringers

Options

Replies

• carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Wow, Ringers you are doing awesome. We are now in the Silver position and only 300 points out of first. You guys have really been working this week. I have been trying to concentrate on the events that get the higher points (20K bike, 1mile swim and at least the 5K walk) as well as my zumba, aquafit, and other water stuff. Becky and Lorraine, that is awesome that you got in the 20k cycle the relay points from that one really add up fast.

I still do not have that Wii hooked up. Hopefully my son can do it before he heads back to Winnipeg. Becky, you need to get that shoulder checked, it does not sound like it is getting any better, in fact it sounds like it is getting worse. Take care of yourself.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that we had previously been in the Silver position... but we are again now! :) Great Job!

... I am trying to figure out how to get to those 20 events. I think that getting to 17 seems realistic and 'easy' enough... but - where those other 3 events will come in? I'm not sure. LOL.

I have the Dirty Dash in under a week now... it's on Saturday in Billings. Troy (tsh0ck) will also be doing the DD that same day... he apparently is all about the time, so I think that my team and I will just wave at him when he cruises by us! Anyway - with having that race upcoming - I have decided to really focus on being outside and doing my walking/jogging outdoors. Way different then in a gym - and on an elliptical! I don't feel ready for this run at all! I mean... I'm ready for some of the obstacles - the mud crawl, the beer chug, lol. But some of the obstacles will not happen on this end - there is a double hay bale climb (must be a wall that is 10 feet high of hay to climb over!), some wall climbs... not sure that I could have done them to begin with - but with my shoulder?!? Well, definintely not going to risk it's healing for some silly obstacles. Though, I am also stubborn... So, we'll see! Ha!

... btw - if you want to see what the Dirty Dash is all about? Go to www.dirtydash.com. It's going to be fun, at a minimum! :)

Anyway - most of my points are gonna come from the Athletics 100m, 400m and 5000m. Will have some weightlifting and boxing points added in too. We are staying at a place with a pool - so I figure that I'll maybe get in another water polo in there. When I come back - I'll worry about the rowing and the long run. I'll also get in the long swim.

Okey dokey... I am needing to find some motivation to get out and about. Have another baseball game at 1 PM today - this will be the 5th day in a row at the ballpark - but the Voyagers played well last night, so I'm hoping that trend continues!

OOOOHHHH - Shoulder update?!? I did go get it looked at by a Physical Therapist - who thinks that it's the long head bicep. Answer from everyone seems to be rest, ice, ibuprofen. The muscle is impinged - so it's gonna take the muscle resting and the inflammation leaving for it to release and then? Supposed to feel all good again. Doesn't sound like it's a lasting injury... I don't think that it's something I have to "be careful" of. But - pain is gone, there is a soreness to it, maybe an "ache" but the PAIN is gone. That's helpful! Will try to remember that even though the pain is gone, I need to chill the shoulder out a bit. Will keep you updated as I go...
  • lombrica
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Updating the Current Rooster of Events! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Archery/Shooting (30 min increments) -
    :happy: Athletics - 100 meter dash - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Athletics - 400 meter dash- All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Athletics -1600 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Athletics -5000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    Athletics -10,000 meters - Lorraine, Carla, Troy
    Badminton -
    Basketball (half court - shooting baskets for 30 minutes) - Carla
    Basketball (full court game)
    Boxing (30 min increments) - Becky, Troy,
    Canoeing/Rowing - Troy, Carla
    :happy: Cycling - 5,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Cycling - 10,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Cycling - 20,000 meters - Carla, Troy, Becky, Lorraine - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    Diving -
    Equestrian -
    Fencing -
    Football (Soccer game)
    :happy: Gymnastics (30 minutes aerobics class, aquafit, zumba etc.) - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Sailing
    Swimming - 100 meters - Becky, Carla, Lorraine
    Swimming - 400 meters - Becky, Carla, Lorraine
    Swimming - 1600 meters (1 mile) - Carla
    Table Tennis -
    Trampoline (Skipping) - Carla
    Volleyball (Beach)
    Volleyball (Team)
    Water Polo (30 min increments) - Carla, Becky
    :happy: Weightlifting (30 min increments) - All of us, Woo Hoo another relay :happy:
    Wrestling

Just wanted to put an Update in... so we can all see where we are at! Good Job everyone! :)
  • lombrica
    Options
    Wow, Ringers you are doing awesome. We are now in the Silver position and only 300 points out of first. You guys have really been working this week. I have been trying to concentrate on the events that get the higher points (20K bike, 1mile swim and at least the 5K walk) as well as my zumba, aquafit, and other water stuff. Becky and Lorraine, that is awesome that you got in the 20k cycle the relay points from that one really add up fast.

Carla... I usually end up doing my walks in about 400m increments (that's the distance from my office to the gift shops/coffee place/cafeteria at work, so it's an easy distance to remember and do...) - but I also noticed early on that the points for a 400m are the exact same as the points for a 1600m. I don't agree with that point equity... but, that's what it shows on the chart. Just pointing it out - in case you are adding them all in together to come to that or not. And really? Points wise? It's actually worth MUCH more to break up the 5K into those 400m increments - 600 pts versus 175. Now, again - I think that in the spirit of the challenge that we log things as we do them, versus for points. And, for me? The 400m is a distance I repeatedly do... I actually initially thought - dang, doing this walk 4 times in a day COULD BE a mile instead of 4 - 400 m... and was disappointed, but then as I entered it in, realized how good of a value the 400m was. So? I increased my breaks and volunteer to take stuff to HR or the mail room, etc. so that I can make the jaunt! Ha!

Anyway... sometimes the longer distances aren't always the bang for the buck that we think that they are.... just so you are aware. (yeah, I know... super competitive which is ridiculous but I did look at it all so I know where to focus in my energy!)
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Lombrica -

Sorry to crash your team thread but I couldn't help notice your comment. The 400 meters is worth more because it is supposed to be a sprint. If you're just walking, you shouldn't be counting those as 400 x 4 = 1,600. We purposely made the points benefit people who do longer distances so when you add shorter distances together it is always less than if you do a longer distance. The 400 meters is an exception only because that is a sprint, as per the description.

Just wanted to point that out as I think you are mistaken in your interpretation. Walking 400 meters shouldn't earn any points.

Thanks,
    Rebecca
  • carhicks
    Options
    Hello again Ringers,
    Yes, when I do the 400 or 100, I run, well it is not as fast as others, but it is as fast as I can go for those. I use the 1 mile walk when I take the dog for a walk (which is usually everyday) for at least 1.5 to 2 miles.

Well, I got the Wii hooked up today. I know I did not do it right because it is not in colour, but it still works, I did a session of boxing. Man, did I ever work up a sweat. I was actually surprised. I will be able to get the 20 events in because I can do a couple more virutally. It was fun and may use this regularly to get in some exercise when I do not feel like going out.

We are currently in Bronze, but it is so close, it keeps fluctuating.
    Updating the Current Rooster of Events!

Archery/Shooting (30 min increments) -
    Athletics - 100 meter dash - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics - 400 meter dash- All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics -1600 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics -5000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics -10,000 meters - Lorraine, Carla, Troy
    Badminton -
    Basketball (half court - shooting baskets for 30 minutes) - Carla
    Basketball (full court game)
    Boxing (30 min increments) - Becky, Troy, Carla
    Canoeing/Rowing - Troy, Carla
    Cycling - 5,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Cycling - 10,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Cycling - 20,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Diving -
    Equestrian -
    Fencing -
    Football (Soccer game)
    Gymnastics (30 minutes aerobics class, aquafit, zumba etc.) - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Sailing
    Swimming - 100 meters - Becky, Carla, Lorraine
    Swimming - 400 meters - Becky, Carla, Lorraine
    Swimming - 1600 meters (1 mile) - Carla
    Table Tennis -
    Trampoline (Skipping) - Carla
    Volleyball (Beach)
    Volleyball (Team)
    Water Polo (30 min increments) - Carla, Becky
    Weightlifting (30 min increments) - All of us, Woo Hoo another relay
    Wrestling
  • lombrica
    Options
    Lombrica -

Sorry to crash your team thread but I couldn't help notice your comment. The 400 meters is worth more because it is supposed to be a sprint. If you're just walking, you shouldn't be counting those as 400 x 4 = 1,600. We purposely made the points benefit people who do longer distances so when you add shorter distances together it is always less than if you do a longer distance. The 400 meters is an exception only because that is a sprint, as per the description.

Just wanted to point that out as I think you are mistaken in your interpretation. Walking 400 meters shouldn't earn any points.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Well this wasn't all "walking"... and initially I was only counting sprint's (for me) until I saw others talking about that those were labelled walk/jog/run... my 100 m ones are accurate... so I'll have to talk to Rebecca as it sounded like she was deleting things out...

Oh well... par for the course these days!
  • carhicks
    Options
    Well, I only have to do one more event to get my 20. The kids next door say they have virtual badminton and fencing for Wii, so I need to see if I can borrow it. Played tennis yesterday and i am the most uncoordinated person out there. In half an hour, I only scored 5 points. Got my *kitten* kicked and will not be playing that again. Hope you are all doing well. Carla
  • carhicks
    Options
    Well, I did it. I borrowed the neighbours' Wii Resort DVD and completed Archery and Fencing. I actually worked up a sweat with the fencing but not the archery, it was pretty boring. It put me over the 20 events though so I got the 2,000 bonus points for our team. We are still hanging in there at third. Those Cake Eaters snuck up the leader board thanks to Weathers who logged all his running the other day. We can still do this. How is everyone doing? I know Troy and Becky are injured from their Dirty Dash, but I hope for their sake, it is not too serious. Take care of yourself everyone.
  • scotrunner
    scotrunner Posts: 92
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm back from my guide camp now. I managed one 5km run while I was there and I walked a huge amount but I'll only count the run as the walking was just general getting about the campsite. I went for a run with a friend tonight, did 7.5 miles so I'll log it now. I am going to try for the mile long swim tomorrow night. Presuming it doesn't have to be the same stroke the whole time? I really wish I had a Wii Carla, it sounds like so much fun!! Maybe I'll need to work on my husband to 'approve' it lol!!

Have a great week everyone :)
    Lorraine
  • lombrica
    Options
    Carla... does wii tennis count? I didn't think it did... but if it does I will get on it.

Sorry... been a bit absent. Will have to log what little bits I have done. Kinda lost some motivation after emails with Rebecca... not her fault but just stopped logging stuff. Will check in to see what she changed on mine and then log what I've done. Resetting starting tomorrow... so exercise will be forthcoming. Swimming probably as my knee is still a little tweaky... :)

Dirty Dash though?!? So very worth it and fun!! I will absolutely do it again. Actually I am... Dirty Girl in September! And... will be taking the same team back to Billings next year. My goal for September... since I will be better prepared shoe and clothing wise?!? Jog more of it and to do at least 9 of the 10 obstacles.... My goal for Billings next year... better time... jog/run it all... and do ALL the obstacles! :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'll do the thing again, too ... but I've found a 'real' version to take on in May. so ... the goal is to be ripped and in shape in less than a year. ack!
    :)
  • lombrica
    Options
    I'll do the thing again, too ... but I've found a 'real' version to take on in May. so ... the goal is to be ripped and in shape in less than a year. ack!
    :)

Real huh?!? Spartan Run does look awesome... I have a couple friends doing it also. Me?!? That's not near enough time... ha!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yes, it is. one year? lots can happen in a year. look how far you've gotten. now add a year of work onto that.

I'm already planning out a mini obstacle course in my head. that failed garden? I believe it will make a fine home version of a barbwire crawl. :)
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Can't believe there is less than 1 week left. I'm glad though as I really want to concentrate on my running now, my half marathon is in 8 weeks. I ran 5.5 miles on Thursday doing 6 x hill sprints (plus warm up & cool down). Today I ran 10.5 miles as my long run, average pace 9:15 min/mile. I took my girls swimming today too but only did 50m of freestyle. I am determined to get the mile swim done, I'll try again tomorrow night as not running.

Hope everyone has a good week. I can't wait for the Olympics, I'm just so glad I don't live anywhere near London lol!

Lorraine
  • lombrica
    Options
    yes, it is. one year? lots can happen in a year. look how far you've gotten. now add a year of work onto that.

I'm already planning out a mini obstacle course in my head. that failed garden? I believe it will make a fine home version of a barbwire crawl. :)

... I am happy to look at how far, how fit, how improved... YOU... will be! ;)

When they even charge you to watch you know it's a serious race... and? Not a year away it's something like 290 days
    ... but, it is cheaper if you have people doing it with ya!

Garden.... failed?!? Nnnnnnnnoooooooooo.... but yes, it would be great for a barbed wire crawl. Also for some fire jumping and some walls and triangles. :)
  • scotrunner
    Options
    I did the mile long swim tonight!! 64 lengths of the pool. A mixture of breast stroke, front crawl & back stroke. I was watching the man in the lane beside me and he did 1 length front crawl and 1 length breaststroke and I realised that was a pretty good way of doing continuous swimming so that is what I did for the second half. I'm really new to swimming anything other than breaststroke and I was really nervous about doing that many lengths, however, I found that once I was warmed up and varying my strokes I loved it! It took me about 55 minutes including some occasional rests. I feel ridiculously proud of myself!!

Realistically that will probably be the last new event I do for this challenge. I'll be running this week so still adding points.

Hope you are all excited about the final few days! We are REALLY close to the silver spot :)

Lorraine
  • carhicks
    Options
    Wow, you guys are awesome. I noticed that everyone is trying something new and that is fantastic. No Becky, I do not think Wii tennis counts, badminton does though if you have that one. I have done fencing, boxing, table tennis, badminton on the Wii to get points.

I am concentrating on swimming, bike and walk/short runs over the next few days to get the maximum points. We are still hanging in there.

I wish we had something like the dirty dash around here, it looked like so much fun. Maybe I will have to travel to find something. Enjoy your last few days all and see where we end up. Go Ringers.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    So that is it! I've just logged my last 10km for this challenge. It has been great, I've really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching the real athletes for the next 14 days ;)

Well done us!
    Lorraine
  • carhicks
    Options
    I have logged everything as well. I enjoyed this challenge as it did motivate me to do some things i normally would not have done. It was fun. You guys all did well. It looks like we will finish in the Bronze position which is not too shabby.

I am watching the Opening Ceremonies as I type this, it has been awesome. I too, look forward to watching the real athletes compete, let the real games begin. :drinker: