Anyone not able to consume dairy products? I can't!

Options
I wish I could enjoy the protein in cheeses, yogurt, etc but I just can't. Dairy makes me bloat up and feel sick to my stomach, I often end up getting sick within the next 24 hours of consuming. Anyone else low carbing without the dairy? Any suggestions on how to replace it? More meat, more eggs?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i could do it without dairy, just more veggies, meat and eggs!

i really only use cream in coffee and chowders.

cheese is pretty awesome, but you don't need it.

what about lactose free stuff?
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I used to be LI and it just went away over the years. I think cheese is lower in lactose but liquid dairy -eeekk! I do not miss how that used to bloat me and make me stay in the bathroom! I feel for you.

I don't think I could do LC without dairy. I love my cream/protein powder concoction at the end of the night.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you tried checking out sites about the Paleo way of eating? They do not use dairy and there a lots of great ideas re food.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    raw dairy is full of probiotics,

raw unpasterized dairy is full of probiotics that are not dead and are at the healthiest for you ratios

Cheese and cream is 100% lactose free (and should be completely digestable by anyone who can not tolerate lactose / milk sugar)

ONLY raw dairy cheese, cream, yogurts are 100% free from fillers like guar, carragen gum, canuba wax, maltodextrin, soy proteins etc. that cause the reactions, since there is no lactose to cause a reaction.

Most dairy products that are yogurts and pasturized, processed cream or yogurts have added veg. proteins and waxes that - by FDA law - do not have to be on the label.

If you can't tolerate soy, sunflowers, peanuts, and/or lactose then stay away from all dairy that is not raw or unpasturized. There is a huge difference!

Also, allot of cream cheeses, cheeses, and fermented dairy products have veg. rennent vs. animal rennent. The veg. rennents are yeasts or penicillin based cultures, which may also contribute to your IBS if you have celiac or a wheat allergy.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit sad about raw dairy product, it is illegal to sell them for human consumption in Australia....very frustrating as I would be interested to see how I tolerate raw milk. I guess I could make friends with a farmer with a dairy cow, but other than that it is a bit of a problem.
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit sad about raw dairy product, it is illegal to sell them for human consumption in Australia....

In some states in the U.S. it is also illegal to sell raw milk for "human" consumption. Dairy farmers get around this by bottling it and selling it for "pet" consumption.

You can go to try http://www.westonaprice.org/local-chapters/find-a-local-chapter#aus to find a yahoo group that you can join. Once there, I'm sure you can get info about where to find raw milk in your area.

HTH.
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    processed cream or yogurts have added veg. proteins and waxes that - by FDA law - do not have to be on the label.

Well thank you, this is good to know. I started Atkins induction two weeks ago, and was doing just fine having 8oz of raw milk every day. Then I decided to try some whole milk (though not raw) yogurt. It pulled me right out of ketosis :-(

I sometimes forget that there are things that are allowed to be left off labels (anti-freeze with your ice-cream anyone?) so really, who knows what else was in that yogurt. I think perhaps I will try making my own yogurt from my raw milk and seeing how that affects me!