Anybody else gaining weight?

Options
sharkweek
sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
I just finished Day 3 of the shred, and while I feel pretty awesome about that, I'm getting discouraged. I didn't expect to lose weight immediately, but I did expect to maintain. I gained 2 pounds the morning after my first workout, and another pound the morning after my second. All this despite being under my calorie goal, and eating healthy foods. At this rate, I'll be back to my original weight by the end of the week.

I know that muscles retain water more after a workout, but it's tough not to get discouraged, and to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Is this happening to anyone else? As a bonus, has it happened to anyone who still got good results later?

Replies

• SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this article, it sums up what I've see in a lot of different places: http://exercise.about.com/b/2012/01/11/exercise-and-weight-loss-lesson-of-the-week-you-might-gain-weight-temporarily.htm

Stick with it! You'll be glad you did. I swear!
  • newdayhasbegun
    newdayhasbegun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too am gaining weight, which is not what I want. Having said that, I know that some people do gain water weight when lifting weights that dissipates over time.

More than that, for me, I am so out of shape that part of the reason I am doing the 30DS is to tone and get fit enough to do other exercises. My endurance is the pits and the 45 minute walk alone wasn't doing anything for me.

So I am hanging in there and making sure I challenge myself on every move (using challenging weights, doing the move to the best of my ability, etc.) and eat "clean". I truly believe if I do that for 30 days, my body has no choice but to change, whether it be loss of inches, scale weight, or getting physically stronger.
  • sharkweek
    Options
    So I am hanging in there and making sure I challenge myself on every move (using challenging weights, doing the move to the best of my ability, etc.) and eat "clean". I truly believe if I do that for 30 days, my body has no choice but to change, whether it be loss of inches, scale weight, or getting physically stronger.
    That's a good attitude. :)

I found a couple articles that were helpful - http://archives.starbulletin.com/2002/01/09/features/health.html and http://www.livestrong.com/article/403311-gaining-weight-when-starting-an-exercise-program/ . Just when I was starting to feel relieved, I noticed the FB comments on that second article -- ugh. Anecdotal stuff only goes so far (maybe those people are doing something really wrong) but I really don't want to be working out for 3, 4, or 6 weeks without seeing a difference in how my clothes fit/seeing the scale go down.

Okay, that's enough negativity -- 30DS has a good reputation, so I'm going to trust that it didn't get that by making people balloon/having no good effects.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it's not possible to gain 2 pounds of fat in 2-3 days. It's most definitely water weight. I am a self proclaimed scale-aholic but I'm going to try really hard to stay off of it until I'm done with this 30 or so days. It WILL drive you insane!
  • SammieGetsFit
    Options
    More food for thought: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing

PS - Diem78, thanks! She's not a kitten anymore. I need to take an updated picture -- with both of us bigger =/ But then I can always take one next year when I'm fit and awesome and she's the only bigger one! :laugh:
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    YES!! I gained one pound and was sooo bummed! I have been eating great but wondering if my calories are too low.

I "felt" thinner and was shocked when I got on the scale. However, I am not giving up!! Something good has to come out of this!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    13a.jpg

Did it last month gained a pound but looked better
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    13a.jpg

I definitely see a difference! Ditch the scale, lol! It lies anyway!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily, but I don't get too caught up in the numbers. My weight fluctuates up and down within a pound due to water and more so with my monthly cycle. I have been keeping track daily for 6 months and see the downward trend. That makes me happy. The scale is fine as long as you don't focus on individual readings and look at the overall trend over weeks or months.
  • Shelleybonz
    Shelleybonz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing 30DS a month ago (and then quit and just restarted again) I gained at first too. Hang in there, I am now down 10 lbs. Keep drinking your water and hopefully you will flush those extra pounds away soon!!!
  • Shelleybonz
    Shelleybonz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    13a.jpg

You look great !!!- size matters more to me than what I weigh and I am hoping to FEEL better as well!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    PS.. My advice for those that are "gaining weight" is to STOP weighing yourself every day. It does NOTHING for your self-esteem or motivation. I have recently stopped weighing-in daily because I found myself wanting to give up when the scale didn't say what I wanted it to. So, I now only weigh-in once every week or two. It works sooooo much better (for me) because, in a week or two's time, there's almost zero chance that I won't lose atleast a half pound or so. So, I won't get so discouraged being up 1 pound one day and plateaued the next.. Etc. It's not conducive to my staying on track. As long as you know that you are staying committed to your food/exercise plan, there's really no reason to put yourself through that every single day!

^^^^^^^This
    I know for me until I joined a weight challenge I was only weighting ever 2 weeks. The fluctuation of the scale make me crazy !!!! I now limit myself to only when required for whatever challenges I am part of. It takes a little will power when I am feeling I have been doing good but I know if I cave in and weight and it doesn't reflect what I feel it should that it crushes my motivation.

STAY STRONG and remember keep up with measurements they mean so much more !!!
  • chrism14
    chrism14 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes - I was gutted when I jumped on the scales today and I had gained weight. However I had decided I wasn't going to let this be the excuse to give up as I am feeling really good for having done these workouts. Pleased I'm not alone as i felt I was doing everything else right.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!!!! :wink:
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Thx Shelleybonz... just wanted to prove that the scale doesnt show that you lost fat and gained muscle, muscle weights more than fat, it also doesnt show that you gained water weight, it just shows that you gained.
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have gained almost 2 lbs since I started the program, but I'm hoping it's normal (especially now that I see you guys are experiencing similar gains) and I'm going to keep on working at this. Eventually my body will have to change!
  • sharkweek
    Options
    I'm not gaining or losing anymore - just straight maintaining no matter how hard I work or how I change what I eat. I'm almost a pound heavier than I was when I started. Getting really depressed and discouraged. And no, I'm not losing inches, and no, it doesn't matter if I only weigh myself once a week.

I've netted everything from 0 Cals (1472 Cals but burning that with exercise) to 1300 Cals to 1500 Cals to 1700 Cals, and none of it has made a difference. To make matters worse, I was solidly losing before I started the shred and it screeched to a halt as soon as I did.

Any advice?
  • SammieGetsFit
    Options
    Since I'm not experiencing continued weight-gain, I know it's easy for me to say, but hang in there! It's barely been two weeks, which isn't enough time for your body to understand that this is a serious lifestyle change for you. It's resisting, but it will give in. :flowerforyou:

Here are a few more articles for you:

http://coachterricruce.com/why-on-earth-am-i-gaining-weight-after-starting-a-new-workout-program/

"Don’t quit!!!

You should begin to see the scale drop again within a few weeks. If you do not, you may need to take another look at your diet. Exercise will not make you gain weight. Consuming more calories than you burn will make you gain weight. It’s that simple."

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

"When to be concerned:
    If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends… exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using SparkPeople's Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest.

Moral of the story:
    Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time! "
  • sharkweek
    Options
    I'm netting under 1700 no matter what, and I've only gone up to 1700 (MFP's calories based on my goal and current weight) maybe twice in the last two weeks. If 1500-1600 with lots of exercise is too much for my body, I really don't know what to do because I'm also not losing when I net 1200, 1000, or less. Whether I'm high or low, I'm not losing.
  • sharkweek
    Options
    Never mind. At this point I probably need to talk to a nutritionist more than start a forum post. I don't think I can close replies, but please disregard this thread.
  • sandrahermione
    Options
    I saw a Jillian post saying dandelion tea will get rid of retained water, so I am trying that. It does get better by level 3 though. I am getting real results. Yeah.