Week 4!

Options
goodigirl2
goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
Who else is on week 4? I did W4D2 today. My legs felt good, and I actually felt like I could keep going at the end, but the sun was beating down on me so I called it good. I was really nervous about this week, but so far am happy with how I've done!

Replies

• wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did W4D3 today - felt great as well! Keep up the good work.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I just finished D1 last night! Went surprisingly smooth compared to what I was expecting. I felt like I struggled with the 3 minute run considerably on W3D1, and yesterday it just seemed like a warm up. It was nice to realize that, indeed, my body is changing.

Also, this isn't my first time doing C25K - the last time I attempted, I quit after W4 because I thought it was too difficult. I remember dying at the end of each session, haha, and yesterday was nothing like that at all! I was elated. c: I think part of the reason was because A) I slowed down, almost a bit comically (I felt like I was crawling by the end, but I was still technically doing a jogging motion??), and B) I was running outside instead of around a tiny indoor track. It's always nice to have new distractions, whether it be your surroundings, the people around you, or whatever (for example, it's a lot easier to say "I'm going to run to that tree" rather than "God I have to run another minute").

I did notice that it WAS right around the 4 min. mark of my 5 min runs when I began to burn out. Hoping to push past that tomorrow...
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Did W4D2 earlier today and thought I was gonna die. d: However, I think a lot of it had to do with me starting to "overheat" per say - I got out later than I wanted to, and the route I normally run was mostly unshaded at the time I was out there. It was also around 90 degrees and extremely humid.. needless to say, I was a bucket of sweat when I finished! But I did finish. (:

Next time I think I'll stick to running early in the morning/late evening. d:
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did w4d2 yesterday on the treadmill. The gym felt so hot. I am going to do w4d3 tomorrow and hope to get near a fan. I also had my first side stitch yesterday, which put a damper on my run.
  • goodigirl2
    Options
    I'm having to switch up my routine because I joined a local 5k training group where we run T-Th-Sa. I'm going to continue with C25K for distance because the new program is starting really slow...run 1 walk 2...so in 5 weeks when that is built up, I'll be done with C25K! Anyway, I'll do W4D3 tomorrow...hoping to get out early enough to avoid the "overheating" because that is worse for me than burning in my legs or lungs!
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did w4d3 today. I think I am going to try to do w5d1 on tuesday, but if i do not make it through i am going to repeat w4d3.
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 on Tuesday. Glad to see it is do-able. I'm a little concerned as I don't think I've gotten the controlled breathing down quite yet, but I've completed all the runs up until this point. Glad there are others doing the same thing to help keep me going!
  • What_Katie_Did
    What_Katie_Did Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I managed W4D1 fine but then really stalled on W4D2. I did leave a big gap between runs rather than the one day gap and I think I lost a bit of my stamina during that break. I thalassaemia trait so find it difficult to get the stamina up but I'm going back to do W3 over again in the hope it kickstarts my stamina. I really don't want to give up and I was devastated that I stopped halfway through the second 3 minute run on W4D2, I felt like total failure but I couldn't feel my arms and I was lightheaded and dizzy so I stopped before I collapsed!

Do you all take water with you when you run? It's not particularly hot here right now and a lot of the time I'm running in the rain, which keeps me cool, but I think I might have managed a bit more of W4D2 if I had water with me. I haven't taken it so far as the podcast (NHS) doesn't say to have it with you.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I run on an indoor track and ALWAYS take water with me. Its not air conditioned, so it gets REAL hot and humid in there. I leave my water bottle somewhere on the side and if I get super thirsty, I stop and get a drink during my walk sessions. Then I always drink some before I stretch as well.
  • goodigirl2
    Options
    Good luck...you will do great!

I don't carry water, but I do chew gum. I know there are conflicted feelings about chewing gum during exercise, as it can fool you into thinking you're not thirsty. But it doesn't bother me...I can still tell when I need a drink. It just helps me get through a longer run without NEEDING water. I try to by the most obnoxious flavor of mint so it lasts a long time and keeps my mouth feeling fresh. It sounds funny, but it's worked for me for 6 years since I started running.

I did have to stop running during the last 5 minute run of W4D3 yesterday, I think due to the heat. I stopped for 1 minute and continued the last minute running. I ended up finishing 2 miles in the same time I had done on previous days, so I know I was running faster yesterday than the other days. But, I finished running and am going to move on to week 5.

I start W5D1 Wednesday (moving to a W-F-Su schedule). I'm nervous.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I did d1 today. Almost crapped out on the last 5 min run but I powered through. I did get a nice blister though. My first. I feel like runner!
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just did D1 this morning. Temp was only 70 degrees but 97% humidity. Whew, I did a fair amount of sweating! Run segments 2 & 3 were on a long slow uphill and were tough. Run segment 4 was downhill and a nice change. Overall I felt good, especially looking back on it! I'm thinking (hoping) humidity won't be so much of a factor Wednesday.

I grew up in the DFW area and know what many of you are going through. When I lived in TX I used to run after dark by the streetlights. It was still plenty hot, but I was able to do it. You that are running in these hot areas please be careful.

Good luck to all!
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I completed W4D1 this morning. I'm using a slightly different program than C25K so, I had a 6 min. run interval this morning. I struggled with the 3 min. lengths last week, but made it through the 6 min. with little issue today. It's amazing how these programs work. I would not have been able to run for 6 min. without stopping a month ago.
  • ccbarbeau
    ccbarbeau Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm running W4D3 tomorrow morning. I started C25k when my son was 5 weeks old; I've repeated a couple weeks and had to take 2 weeks off because one of my knees was bothering me. With 50 or so extra pounds on my 5'11'' frame, that comes as no surprise to me!

I too am surprised that I am able to run 5 minutes non-stop, as I have not done this before in my 31 years on this planet! I think I may also repeat week 4. I'll see after tomorrow's run.
  • goodigirl2
    Options
    Starting W5 tomorrow. Looking ahead to W5D3, run 20 minutes straight!?!?! OMG I'm already having anxiety over it.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    goodigirl2, we're on the same schedule! (: finished W4D3 yesterday, and even jogged into my cooldown for a few extra minutes - proving myself that the 8 min run on D2 will be nothing! D3, however... yikes. mentally preparing myself for that one hardcore. d:
  • goodigirl2
    Options
    Whoa, good for you! I finished W5D1 and did ok. I made sure to get out before the heat really picked up, and was able to do it exactly as called for without walking any during my run segments. I am nervous about the 8 minutes, but I'll get through it. :) I have family in town this weekend, so my schedule may get mixed up. I'm thinking I might repeat this week again, just to make sure I'm set!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just did day 2. It was tougher than day 1. I think it was the heat. But I pushed through!
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just finished w4d3 and I found this week to be pretty hard. I felt tired and it took some mental effort to keep going. I made it though, so I'll go onto w5 next.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ready to start Week 4 on Monday. Bring it on!!:happy: