7-10-12/Daily Chatter for the Menopausal Mad Hatters

Options

Replies

• kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi. Cheryl here. I'm 55, but not menopausal. I don't know why either. I'm married with four children ages 17 - 28. The oldest daughter is in Guatemala this week. It's actually hotter here in MD. I'll be more involved in two weeks. I promise. We're doing storm clean-up, juggling contractors for inside and outside damage, tree removal. What a mess. We're supposed to leave for two weeks at the beach this weekend. It was planned and paid for a year ago. Did I mention that company is coming for a few days before we leave? Our daughter bought a condo on the day of the storm and hasn't moved in yet. There was no power for five days. We've been helping her paint, etc. Never a dull moment. I'm enjoying the posts. Sounds like my kinda' place!
  • Kellysmom78
    Kellysmom78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi. Cheryl here. I'm 55, but not menopausal. I don't know why either. I'm married with four children ages 17 - 28. The oldest daughter is in Guatemala this week. It's actually hotter here in MD. I'll be more involved in two weeks. I promise. We're doing storm clean-up, juggling contractors for inside and outside damage, tree removal. What a mess. We're supposed to leave for two weeks at the beach this weekend. It was planned and paid for a year ago. Did I mention that company is coming for a few days before we leave? Our daughter bought a condo on the day of the storm and hasn't moved in yet. There was no power for five days. We've been helping her paint, etc. Never a dull moment. I'm enjoying the posts. Sounds like my kinda' place!

Hi Cheryl, just wanna say I know what your going through. I live in South east Tx, and have been through 3 hurricanes in 4 yrs. One with tree damage and the other flooded our whole town! Just remember we are here for you. I would say do what you need to do to take care of yourself then worry about your weight, that's a lot of stress on you at this time. We will be here for You when your ready to start again!
    Sherry

Hiya Cheryl!!! omg... my head was spinning just listening to what you're trying to deal with.. and since Sherry said it perfectly - I'll just nod alongside her!!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hello all you beautiful Ladies~ My name is Tammy and I live in Louisiana.

I am a wife and have 5 children ranging from 30 to 6, my parents oldest and youngest grandchildren !!! My siblings aren't interested in taking this title from me. :laugh: I gave birth to my last child when I was 45, short story the doctors said I couldn't have more children. God proved them wrong. She is a blessing!!! As I get older I worry about being able to be active in her life and be here for her as long as I can.

I am a teacher about to start her third year. My first year I taught 3rd grade and loved it but numbers went down and I found myself looking for a new position. Last year I took an out of field position at the high school teaching Civics and World Geography. I enjoyed hs but it was challenging. So this year I am again changing schools since I was teaching out of my field. This year will be 6th and 7th grade Social Studies. Can you tell what my favorite subject is by now? HISTORY !!!

Teaching is part of how I started this new journey. I go early and stay late every day, do lots of walking this past year and I began losing without really trying so I figured I should try working with this after school ended in hopes that when school starts this year I will be down another 30 pounds. I am at 17 currently and we still have over a month until school starts so I am hopeful, but more than that I want to be able to walk without becoming winded or planning my day around doing this that don't require me to do much walking or standing.

I have a totally different feeling this time around than I ever have before. I am taking baby steps b/c in the past I have tried to do everything at once and overwhelmed myself. This is the first time I have ever used an online resource such as MFP, but I have found it a great resource for keeping me accountable. I have added lots of fresh foods and am working my way to making better choices, but when I want something if I have the allotment I eat it. This helps me from going of the deep end and doing worse harm later or just giving in as I have done so often in the past.

I am so glad to have a support group of ladies with similar background and goals. Anyone that would like to send a request please do.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Well, almost end of day here.. which means I'm heading into my danger zone.. after dinner, before bed..... this is one of the worse time for me for mindless eating... I'm not hungry at all tonight (as opposed to last nite around this time) and I had a 2 hr nap this afternoon so I'll probably be up even later .. but... the good news is a) I have no crap food left in my house, and b) I'm too exhausted to get in the car and drive somewhere to get something (oh yes.. I did that in my OLD habits.. more times than I care to remember).

Hmmm.. for once being lazy pays off ... who'd a thunk it??

But I am grumpy tonight.. no reason to be, other than it appears a herd of elephants have been let loose in the unit above me for the past hour; I should change into my jammies just to keep me from going up there and baring my teeth at them!! I even went for a stroll outside to get away from the thumping and to calm down.. but I'm still grumpy :grumble: so think the best thing to do is crank up the a/c, and go for a bubble bath!

I think we're all doing really well at trying to make changes.... we just have to remember that small changes lead to long term changes.. and every little bit we do to improve our health in some way is absolutely an IPOM moment, and a nother step on the journey to getting healthier once and for all..

Well done, hatters!
  • lorielou111
    lorielou111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha! you are living my life!! Maybe it's our snoring men's fault we're too fat?!! You hear how if you don't get enough sleep it can cause weight gain!!
  • lorielou111
    Options
    ohh Snoozie, I am sorry you are having a grumpy night, do you know how much you make my day?? You make me lol!! Ithink a cool bath and a glass of wine with some club soda to cut the cal's might be better for fending off the hot flashes!! what you need is a good IPOM for starting this great group for all of us!! Thanks Bunches, Lorie.
  • lorielou111
    Options
    PS: do you ever wonder... if our guys know how many times.. if they opened their eyes while they were sleeping even once, they'd see us standing over them with a pillow... just contemplating....hmmmmm LOLOLOL...

OMG - You have NO idea... Especially after the 4t or 5th time up because the bear is snoring!!!! :mad: :explode:
    [/quote]

HAHA! Nevr did that but have yanked the pillow out from under his head many a night "out of love" to open up that airway so he can breathe better!! Sleep apnea is a real bummer!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Lorielou.... out of love huh??? yep.. we believe you... LOL... so sweet to be opening up his airways for "him" .. too funny!

I noticed you posted a little while ago on the original page we started; we're going to do a new page every day so there arent 4,000 posts for everyone to scroll thru, so I'm going to move both yours and merci's recent posts over here if that's ok??

T2 wil be creating Wednesday page for us (hopefully.. i love ya techno T!! LOL) so everybody.. when you come into the group, just check for a topic with the current date to post on.. that way we won't miss any of the hilarity and giggles and support!!

The bubble bath helped with the grumpies.. but I'm gonna wait on the wine til tomorrow night; since tonites dinner was burned and dried up.. I wasnt going to waste my occasional glass on that LOL!! B ut tomorrow. NITE..... a small glass is MINE!! :drinker:

Thanks for the pep talk btw... you're right.. and I have claimed my IPOM for today already lol.,. so i'm not claiming another til I see at least one other Hatter claim one publicly here!! Cause we've all got one small success to share from today.. I know it!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    NEW POST FROM LORIELOU (just bringing it over to today's page)

lorielou111

Joined Jun 2011

Tue 07/10/12 08:47 PMHi all my new menopausal friends! this is so great to hear all of your stories and help each other achieve our goals!! I live in a small town in New York in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region . I have an awesome husband that is very supportive and loves me fat or thin, and Ihave been both time and time again! My goal is to lose weight and feel good getting dressed in the morning, get back into my workout mode, and stick with it. I do have a love affair with peanut m and m's and truly feel life would not be the same without them! Hence they cannot be in the house or I can find them like I'm a m and m sniffing dog!! lol. I have 2 college age kids, one goes to St. Bonaventure, and the other is completing his time at R.I.T. and just moved to Mass. to do a co-op for M.I.T. Go figure, trust me ...their parents are not brainiacs, must've been the prenatals and all that Sesame Street I made them watch while I got ready for work!!heehee! I think I am pretty far into menopause,as I stopped having periods about 2 years ago. Still having the good "ol hot flashes and night sweats though and I like to think of them as cleansing out all the toxins each day!! :) As far as menopause weight gain goes, I don't see the big thing about gravity making everything go South, I am finding my belly fat to be rising daily! Soon I won't need a push up bra to hike things back up where they once were. See, you can always find the possitive in everything. :) I look forward to our group and it is so nice to meet all of you!! Lorie
  • Snooozie
    Options
    ** NEW POST FROM MERCI NURSI ** (Just bringing it over to today's page)

Hi everyone! I am so excited about this group. I too have had a weight problem my whole life, gaining, losing and then gaining back. But y'all know what I'm talking about.
    I am a nurse so I should know better, kinda like the way we shake our heads at nurses that smoke, that is how I am. On top of it, I am a Public Health nurse, I am very aware of the problems we have with obesity, especially here in the south! As my boss told me I needed to come up with a program to motivate people to lose weight, I laughed and said if I could do that, I would have done it.
    I also have five kids, a 20 yr/old, a 17 yr/old (totally with ya in the teenager issues!) and triplet 5 yr/olds. If that isn't enough to make me stress eat, I can always come up with something!
    My biggest weaknesses are all the things my kids love and eat constantly. Then I find myself looking at pics of food on Pintrest .
    I decided I had to do something when a couple months ago when I realized that I could't put off a knee replacement surgery. I don't want to go thru that again, so I have to loose weight or I will need the other one done in a couple more years.

Oh yeah, I could use a glass of that wine too!

MERCI - welcome!! Wow.. You have a lot on your plate (hmmm.. perhap not the best choice of words...lol???) So awsome that with all that you have going on...you're making changes for the better... and you're in the right place for those of us who excel.. or USED to excel... at finding any excusie under the sun..... one glass of wine coming right up!!! :drinker:
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ok I have had my coffee and have had my walk. Got smart on the before I finished my last .5 mile I turned the ac down to 71 degrees so it would be cool when I got back in. Best Idea I had all day. But it has just started. :laugh:

LOL C!! I wish I had thought of that before I went out!! Just cranked the sucker up ... but I'll have my head in the freezer til it kicks in!

WAY TO GO on getting in your walk...!!!! It's only 10:30 in the morning (where I am anyway) and you've already got a success for the day! congrats!!
  • cheryl5115
    Options
    Ok I have had my coffee and have had my walk. Got smart on the before I finished my last .5 mile I turned the ac down to 71 degrees so it would be cool when I got back in. Best Idea I had all day. But it has just started. :laugh:

LOL C!! I wish I had thought of that before I went out!! Just cranked the sucker up ... but I'll have my head in the freezer til it kicks in!

WAY TO GO on getting in your walk...!!!! It's only 10:30 in the morning (where I am anyway) and you've already got a success for the day! congrats!!
    Thanks . Snooozi, my brain does work sometimes. lol
  • cheryl5115
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I'm at the dentist with my 14 year old, who is getting a cavity filled, which costs $120. I told him next time I'll do it myself with dad's drill! I had one of those nights when I couldn't stop eating, and I didn't even eat anything I really enjoyed (ugh). The scale was up this morning which is a good reminder of the consequences of my porcine behavior!

Snoozie, I love the IPOM, and will make every effort to have one every day too!

flip, I think our husbands were at thermostat police academy together! Last night I woke up so flipping hot, and the thermostat said 75! I grabbed my pillow, went down to the living room and cranked the AC down to 70 (different zone), and had a nice sleep. This morning he asked me why I left... Because I was HOT you idiot! I'm always hot, why don't you get that?

Got my bike ride in before the dentist, headed to work and then my 16 year old's baseball game. Hope to check in with you ladies tonight when I'm at my computer, and I have a real keyboard!

PS Made 2 gallons of coffee concentrate yesterday. If you like iced coffee, check out thepioneerwoman.org for the recipe!

TRY BEING HOT AND HAVING TO LISTEN TO A GRIZZLY BEAR SNORE NEXT TO YOU ALSO:explode:

:blushing: Uh, in my house apparently I'm the snoring grizzly bear, although I've never actually heard it myself so I think they're making it up....
    I have actually woke myself up before. Who else has?
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well girls, another unsuccessful day :( . I've done so well for so long, and tonight I just ate weird crap (like half of the PB&J I left for my son when I went to work):angry: . This is where I struggle... I lose the weight, and then I think I'm a skinny person, and then "poof" I'm a fat person again! Tomorrow is a new day, and I am determined to get back on track!!

Lorielou, my daughter will be a sophomore at Hobart and William Smith, your neck of the woods, yes?

Thoroughly enjoyed everyone's posts today, big thank you to Snooozie and T2 for bringing us together.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    PS: do you ever wonder... if our guys know how many times.. if they opened their eyes while they were sleeping even once, they'd see us standing over them with a pillow... just contemplating....hmmmmm LOLOLOL...

OMG - You have NO idea... Especially after the 4t or 5th time up because the bear is snoring!!!! :mad: :explode:
    [/quote]

I hear it only takes 6 lbs. of consistent pressure with the pillow to interrupt breathing for good.....just sayin':wink:
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I'm at the dentist with my 14 year old, who is getting a cavity filled, which costs $120. I told him next time I'll do it myself with dad's drill! I had one of those nights when I couldn't stop eating, and I didn't even eat anything I really enjoyed (ugh). The scale was up this morning which is a good reminder of the consequences of my porcine behavior!

Snoozie, I love the IPOM, and will make every effort to have one every day too!

flip, I think our husbands were at thermostat police academy together! Last night I woke up so flipping hot, and the thermostat said 75! I grabbed my pillow, went down to the living room and cranked the AC down to 70 (different zone), and had a nice sleep. This morning he asked me why I left... Because I was HOT you idiot! I'm always hot, why don't you get that?

Got my bike ride in before the dentist, headed to work and then my 16 year old's baseball game. Hope to check in with you ladies tonight when I'm at my computer, and I have a real keyboard!

PS Made 2 gallons of coffee concentrate yesterday. If you like iced coffee, check out thepioneerwoman.org for the recipe!

TRY BEING HOT AND HAVING TO LISTEN TO A GRIZZLY BEAR SNORE NEXT TO YOU ALSO:explode:

:blushing: Uh, in my house apparently I'm the snoring grizzly bear, although I've never actually heard it myself so I think they're making it up....
    I have actually woke myself up before. Who else has?

Oh, me...MANY times (but I will NEVER admit that to my husband!). When I was pregnant, and had a job where I traveled, it used to happen to me on planes (sitting next to STRANGERS!) all the time! Ok, and how am I supposed to prevent myself from farting in my sleep? That wakes me up too! And then my husband says something stupid like "excuse you"...jeez, talk about making a girl feel bad!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LMAO @ the 6 lbs.... hmmm learn something new every day !!

Like the laughing yoga.... that's just too funny!! I can't quite picture me doing the upward dog move WITHOUT laughing... but have never heard of anything like that either!

MeRobi: I think we're all here because we've done exactly the same thing many many times before... but this time it's going to be different!! One pig out is NOT gonna destroy all your hard work; so forgive yourself for the slight indiscretion, and tomorrow morning you'll be back on track and doing awesome again...!

And I'm not quite sure who posted about waking themselves up with their snoring??

But I'm going with whichever hatter (sorry.. can't remember off the top of my head) who said THEY TELL ME I SNORE BUT I THINK THEY'RE JUST MAKING IT UP... !!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Stumbled across a great topic called "35 quick and easy lunches" so thought I'd share the link in case anyone else struggles with lunch ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/658405-35-quick-low-calorie-lunches?page=17
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Another day is done........We did it! I was going to say" Sleep well" my friends ....then I stopped and had to think about that. hmmmmm Well, dont let the bedbugs bite! Hows that? Linda:yawn:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Night all, turn those thermostats down low and off you go. I set up our page for Wednesdays chatter. G