vegetarians who are hitting 30% protein?

bellabrite
bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
May I see your diary?

I've been a vegetarian forever but apparently am not getting as much protein as I thought I was!
Thanks.

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Bump for the vegetarians in our group
  • MissSifaka
    MissSifaka Posts: 25 Member
    Oh my goodness, I hear ya. 30% is a lot, I've been hitting it or getting close just recently .
  • bellabrite
    Thanks, I'll take a look! I didn't realize my diary was private so I just made it public -- though i am not a good example!

We should start making a list of foods that are surprisingly high in protein. I'm going to start drinking protein shakes again, but need other sources too.

I'll start with a few!

Amy's - Pasta and Basil Pesto Tortellini, 1 Entree - 20 grams
    Gardenburger - Breakfast Sausage, 2 patty - 20 grams
    Whole Foods - Nutritional Yeast , 4 rounded tablespoons - 14 grams
    Orzo Pasta, 2 oz. - 7 grams

I wish we could search the MFP food database by amount of protein (or whatever) in a food!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I eat mostly vegetarian and was striving to hit 30% for a while. I've backed off to 25% because of nausea, but I'm still getting between 130-170g depending on the day!
  • bellabrite
    Honestly, I don't even know how carnivores do it. It seems like one has to add so much supplemental protein. I'll try to get to 25%, anyway.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian, and I still have trouble some days if I don't make a conscious effort. and use supplements (although my goal is to eventually get off the supplements completely)...I do have this link though that I researched just for other ideas of protein sources - maybe it'll help?

http://missolive.hubpages.com/hub/Best_High_Protein_Foods_for_Vegetarians
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian. I would like to be, but I'm too lazy, I'm married to a steak and potatoes guy, and I really like seafood and steak--otherwise, I could do it. That said, I do eat a lot of vegetarian-based protein (again because I'm a poser). Morning star products: vegan grillers and the breakfast sausage things--I eat both of these just about every day.

I don't know how many grams you're aiming for but here's what I do:
    One griller: 15 gr;
    2 breakfast sausage: 10gr
    --that's 25--plus half a cup of egg whites (I don't know if you're vegan), which is about 15--so I'm up to 40.

Mid day: protein shake made with almond milk, egg white protein (14gr for 2 scopes),1/2 cup Greek yogurt (12gr) and some peanut butter is about 28 or so.

Then I make up the rest with animal-based protein at dinner. I aim for 100-120.
  • lfosberry
    lfosberry Posts: 2 Member
    I'm veggie too! It is HARD to get all that protein in!

I like to have hardboiled eggs in the fridge so I can get a quick protein snack when needed.
    Protein shakes
    Greek yogurt
    Beans of any kind
    Hummus
    Unflavored protein powder added to sauces and soups

... hmm. i'm drawing a blank now haha.

I don't think I've hit my protein macro AT ALL lately... need to fix this :(
  • bellabrite
    Thanks for the ideas and article!
    Actually I didn't even think of adding protein powder to soups, etc.

I think my main issue is the quantity of food you end up eating -- even if you're eating a balanced diet. I'm at 1800 cals right now, and that will go up when I start lifting in a few days.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    I'm vegan and I have mine set at 25% right now. I have to get in a protein shake every day right now but I'm trying to figure out how to get it in without needing to use powders.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    You know I think for vegetarians getting to 30% protein might be a little unnecessary (not that I am at all qualified so you know others who know what they're talking about speak up). If you eat a bean it has protein, fat, and carbs! But obviously it's a great source of protein and we should totally eat them even if they don't count towards our percentiles totally. I don't get to 30%, but I get to 15-25%.

Calories are calories, and also our bodies can make awesome proteins from amino acids. That said eating a higher protein diet than before has helped curb cravings and helps me to make better choices throughout the day.
  • bellabrite
    Well, that does sound really sensible!
    I am doing a combo of em2wl, NRoW4W, and ChaLean Extreme--as a vegetarian!

Definitely not following ChaLean's calorie rec though (lol).

Funny, I have no problem hitting 30% fat!!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    Exactly! I eat so much fat and carbs. Sometimes it worries me how much fat I eat, but the more I read the more I'm convinced that a calorie is just a calorie. Here's my favorite quote that's got me to stop fretting a bit over how much I eat in carbs and fat:

"Perhaps the most important illusion is the belief that a calorie is not a calorie but depends on how much carbohydrates a person eats. There is an inflexible law of physics — energy taken in must exactly equal the number of calories leaving the system when fat storage is unchanged. Calories leave the system when food is used to fuel the body. To lower fat content — reduce obesity — one must reduce calories taken in, or increase the output by increasing activity, or both. This is true whether calories come from pumpkins or peanuts or pâté de foie gras.

To believe otherwise is to believe we can find a really good perpetual motion machine to solve our energy problems. It won’t work, and neither will changing the source of calories permit us to disobey the laws of science."
    -http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/nutrition/q-and-a-are-high-protein-low-carb-diets-effective.html