Knee Pain while running? Could it be my new shoes?

Options
Feeling good for the first 3 miles on my run tonight, but after mile 3, both my knees ached. I slowed the pace down and even walked a bit, but concerned it's my new Brooks shoes. I have had trouble with my left knee (my knee cap spontaneously dislocated in February while getting my son out of the car and does feel weird at times, but not painful). Hmmm...wonder if I should give it another run and then make a trip to Fleet Feet to see if the shoes are the problem. Do NOT want an injury this early in my training!! Also, unstable knee caps do run in my family, and it's so painful when it dislocates. Should I wear a brace while running? Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would have it checked out by a PhysioTherapist who is familiar with runners. There could be many reasons for that knee pain. Sorry you are going through such pain, that must be very frustrating.
    Good luck, Saka
  • debomommyforhealth
    Options
    Thanks. It's not really bad...a dull ache. When I stop running or walking, it goes away. So, it's not enough to get too concerned about, but I am just terrified it will get worse. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I was getting some knee pain (sore/achy) after my runs (like the next day when I would take recovery walks) and my hubby suggested some new stretches to do after the run. I also started using a timer for my stretches (25 seconds each) to make sure I was getting a good stretch and not just going through the motion.

You can google to find a bunch of different stretches for your knees after running.

It took about of week of being deligent about the stretching before I noticed I no longer had the soreness during or after my runs.

Of course, if it's a persistant pain, definitely have it checked out by a doctor!
  • JenJenS5
    JenJenS5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had my fair share of knee pains and just had surgery in April 2011. Where is your knee pain at? Under the knee cap? by the patella tendon? There is a strong possibility that it could be your shoes, but usually your shins and feet would hurt before your knees would.
    - I would go to the store and have them do a gait analysis. Do you know if your pronate your feet when you run? They may have you buy inserts. I cant remember the name of a brand that I recommend to all of my soccer players.

- My athletic trainer at work hates knee braces! He said that it just allows whatever is going on to keep going on without fixing the main problem. A lot of knee problems is because the hip flexors, IT band, and quads are too tight. I HIGHLY recommend getting a foam roller. It has saved my life. You can youtube videos on how to use it.

Also to fix the knee cap sliding (my did it too) you need to do a lot of quad building exercises. Bridges, squats, etc. you can google those exercises as well.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Be very careful w/ knee pain. My running partner had the same problem about 6 months ago, but he's kinda a moron and just decided to 'run it off'.

Ended up he had a torn MCL and a fairly significant stress fracture...neither of which would have been anywhere near as severe had he gone to the ortho quickly rather than just thinking it would go away on his own. Two surgeries and 6 months later, he's just now able to start really walking distances again much less running.

Certainly COULD be the shoes, but it could be something more severe too. Pain in the knee is something I'd take more seriously than pain in other areas, honestly.