Beans...

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
Ok, so I LOVE beans...all beans, and they are soooo good for added protein, but getting my family to eat them is like trying staple jello to a tree. :explode:

I'm talking about things like kidney beans and black beans etc. They don't like the texture. I've tried them in soups, chili, etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found any good recipes that disguise the beans??

Replies

• mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hmm, haven't tried to disguise so can't help you there. :(

I too love beans. I cook them as a side for white rice. My husband and my 3 y/o like them too; my 7 y/o eats them but Mostly because she has too or no dessert lol.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can puree them and add them to soups and stews. It acts as a nice thickening agent. My favorite was the old weight watchers 5 can soup . . . killer on sodium though. 1 can fat free refried beans (or pureed beans of your choice), 1 can rotel tomatoes with green chilies, 1 can chicken broth, 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 1 can of chunk chicken breast ( I always preferred cooked chicken breast and not the canned stuff, texture was odd to me) We liked tortilla pizzas too . . . refried beans spread on tortilla, sprinkled with cheese, and nuked for a bit. They are nice baked too - definitely a winter treat to heat up the stove though.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My girls are eating beans but the really love lentils, or better said lentil soup.
    I roast some onions with carrots and potatoes, then add red split lentils and lots of cumin. Let it cook and then put it in a blender. If you like you can add some lemon juice at the end.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My girls are eating beans but the really love lentils, or better said lentil soup.
    I roast some onions with carrots and potatoes, then add red split lentils and lots of cumin. Let it cook and then put it in a blender. If you like you can add some lemon juice at the end.

Oh, yummy! That sounds fantastic. Do you put in the crock pot or the stove?
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Links, Links,Links:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2010/05/19/falafel-sandwich/

http://www.dollarfriendlymeals.com/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/589933-black-bean-brownies

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/12/beans.html

"beans, beans, they're good for your heart!
    the more you eat, the more you fart!
    the more you fart, the better you feel,
    so eat more beans with every meal!
    ........................from Noodles, Nitwits, and Numbskulls~
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Happy cooking!
  • jyska
    Options
    I already know that just a mashed version won't help, but the soup thickener concept might disguise them enough! Maybe that's an option even in chili....hmmmm....

I have some lentils that I think I tried once before, but I didn't put them in a blender for the soup, I'll have to try that recipe Noor, thanks! I'm slightly confused though..Roasting to me has no added water....do you add any water to that?
  • jyska
    Options
    "beans, beans, they're good for your heart!
    the more you eat, the more you fart!
    the more you fart, the better you feel,
    so eat more beans with every meal!
    ........................from Noodles, Nitwits, and Numbskulls~
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Happy cooking!

Oh, man!! I used to sing that as a kid! that brought back memories! :laugh: :laugh:
    thanks for the links...I will check them out!
  • Noor13
    Options
    I already know that just a mashed version won't help, but the soup thickener concept might disguise them enough! Maybe that's an option even in chili....hmmmm....

I have some lentils that I think I tried once before, but I didn't put them in a blender for the soup, I'll have to try that recipe Noor, thanks! I'm slightly confused though..Roasting to me has no added water....do you add any water to that?

Sorry, didn't make that clear. Sometimes it sucks when English isn't your native language lol
    So yes, you just roast or fry them in some kind of fat (I like butter) and then of course you add water.
  • Noor13
    Options

Oh, yummy! That sounds fantastic. Do you put in the crock pot or the stove?
    Either way works.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I LOVE beans...all beans, and they are soooo good for added protein, but getting my family to eat them is like trying staple jello to a tree. :explode:

I'm talking about things like kidney beans and black beans etc. They don't like the texture. I've tried them in soups, chili, etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found any good recipes that disguise the beans??

Time to tell them to cook for themselves! :)

One question, how are you cooking them? What texture do they come out as? Are they hard, or mushy?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    2 of my kids HATE kidney beans so when I make chili, I puree one can of kidney beans and add to their chili. They have NO clue!!! And it kind of helps thicken the chili too.
  • jyska
    Options

Time to tell them to cook for themselves! :)

One question, how are you cooking them? What texture do they come out as? Are they hard, or mushy?

lol. oh, they already do cook for themselves to a large degree (I'm a firm believer in independence) and they will eat them (very, very grudgingly) because I have little tolerance for pickiness, but I do understand that not everyone will like every thing. So I keep cooking them, but I'd sure like to make it easier for them to eat them on occasion...hehe

The beans are soft, but not really mushy. normal texture you'd find in a chili I guess.
  • jyska
    Options
    2 of my kids HATE kidney beans so when I make chili, I puree one can of kidney beans and add to their chili. They have NO clue!!! And it kind of helps thicken the chili too.

I will definitely try this next time!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My kids LOVE roasted chickpeas.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We usually do beans in chili, or daal with Indian food.

I know it sounds crazy, but I actually eat a can of black beans on my own every morning. Thorough rinsing, a bit of seasoning, and a tiny bit of olive oil, a zap in the microwave, and they are almost the perfect meal all by themselves as far as nutritional completeness. Very satisfying, and I don't have to push beans on any other family members.
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    Oh, and have you ever tried making black bean brownies? That would sneak some beans in on your family! :laugh:
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    I also put kidney beans in my Spanish rice and Tortilla Soup recipes.