How do you log pole time as exerscise?

Options
Bentley2718
Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
Pole dancing isn't listed in the database, and I'm really not sure how many calories it burns. I tend to log time practicing tricks as "gymnastics," to split time free dancing between "gymnastics" and "dancing general" depending on what I do, and to log conditioning as "calisthenics." What do you guys do?

Replies

• helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've worn my HRM on occasion, and deducted 25% of the value because a lot of it is strength-based, and that's about the amount it'll overestimate strength by. I then work out a cals/minute reading and re-use that in future workouts!
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor yet, so am logging it as 'gymnastics general'. I was a gymnast years ago and feel it is a similar type of work out, but it's definitely not over estimating!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking I need to get a HRM. Are they comfortable to wear, even during pole?

Logically it seemed like the closest thing on the list, and from watching gymnasts work out (not in a weird way, but their work out area was near where I would go at my old gym on campus), it looked sorta similar in style.
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use my HR monitor and it is not uncomfortable to use while doing pole.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have a polar with the chest strap and its pretty soft. I forget im wearing it.
  • helenium
    Options
    I keep thinking I need to get a HRM. Are they comfortable to wear, even during pole?

Logically it seemed like the closest thing on the list, and from watching gymnasts work out (not in a weird way, but their work out area was near where I would go at my old gym on campus), it looked sorta similar in style.

HRMs are great, but overestimate strength estimations, which is why I always drop the calorie count I get by a) my sedentary burn during that timeframe and b) a percentage depending on what I deem my strength/cardio ratio to be (from 0 - 30%) for that workout.

I leave my watch off the pole though, and just have it sitting on a chair nearby. I'm scared the metal bits will scratch the pole's finish. I'm not exactly going very far away, but when I've climbed to the top of the pole I'm aware my watch may have got out of range.

This is one of the reasons why I only measure a workout using the HRM if I think I've increased my level of exertion during a standard pole workout.
  • Polebarbie
    Polebarbie Posts: 84
    Options
    I have a polar with the chest strap and its pretty soft. I forget im wearing it.

How much did it cost
  • helenium
    Options
    I'd tend to keep the 20-30% reduction in with the calorie burn. Not because that's how many calories you've burned, but you'd probably want to spend that on protein to build the muscle from the workout. I would hate to work my butt off on the pole for 4 hours and then not get EVERY LAST GRAM OF MUSCLE I DESERVE. :)