My First Appointment for Surgery

Options
Well, I'm finally taking my doctor's advice about doing something about my precarious situation of being a ticking time bomb. I am 51 year's old and I am on 9 different medications due to my obesity. I had my first consult this past Friday thinking I wanted to go with the Lap Band. However, I am now convinced that the Sleeve would be best for my situation. Very happy to have found this group and looking forward to good information, commiseration and coaching.
I have used MFP for many years but now I am really going to make use of it. Best food database and now that it links to my Fitbit data I should have no excuses for not making this work.
Just hit my highest weight of 262 on my 5'7'' frame and feeling disgusting.
Thanks.

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming surgery :) I had RNY a little over 3 months ago. My husband is set to get a Sleeve in December. There is so much support on this site! Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • ktempl
    ktempl Posts: 8
    Options
    Congrads! I went to my seminar thinking I would have the band, but ended up having the gastric sleeve instead. I've been really happy with it. I'm now off my BP medication and the joint pain is gone!!
    Kelly
  • chennes
    chennes Posts: 7
    Options
    I had lapBand on sept 2011 my highest weight was 291 and the day of surgery I was 255 and now I'm at 180 I absolutely love my lapBand i would recommend the band to anyone that has a similar story to mine because you can always get fills and unfills and you feel more restricted the tighter it gets. Anyways good luck to ya!!
  • Davius
    Davius Posts: 4
    Options
    The potential to be off all my BP and diabetes medicine is pretty exciting. Looking forward to following your progress.
  • Davius
    Davius Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks to all:smile:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    For diabetics, RNY is the best option really. You will be amazed at how fast your blood sugar will normalize. The surgery itself does something to some of the hormone and enzymes that are responsible for insulin resistance. If you have insulin resistance issues at all you will be amazed at the difference. I have a bad pancreas, I produce very little insulin...but I was also very highly resistant. You notice I said..was. Pre-op I was taking the highest allowed dose of metformin and using an average of 200 units of insulin a day. Yes, that was not a typo...I really said 200 units. My doctor had me stop taking the metformin a few days before surgery to give a chance to get out of my system some. Starting at my second post op day my blood sugar started dropping rapidly. I had to back off on my insulin pump settings quickly. I have never taken another metformin since before surgery and I now use around 40 units of insulin per day. I will never get off of it because of my pancreas, but many type 2's never have to take another diabetic med again. I also no longer take anything for my cholesterol or blood pressure. It was a completely life altering surgery for me :)
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    Diabetically speaking, the DS is the best choice for someone looking to rid of it. The good news, is that the sleeve is the 'first part' of the DS, you could always have the second part of the procedure done. I do know lots of people that have had WONDERFUL success with the sleeve, and I always recommend it those who are not keen on the RNY. Best wishes!