What type of sewing do you enjoy?

Options
casi_ann
casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
I love to make garments, bags, accessories, home dec projects, doll clothes and toys. I also enjoy knitting. What about you?

Replies

• Maeiowa
    Maeiowa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I enjoy making quilts, table runners, and items for my grandkids!
  • casi_ann
    Options
    Welcome to the group Maeiowa. What type of things do you make your grandkids. I love sewing for kids.
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love to make Christening gowns and little girl dresses, dolls and doll clothes. I do sew for myself too. I also love buttons! You ought to see my button box! :happy:
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    quilting. Currently working on an american girl doll bed, bedding and quilt for a united way raffle where we work, my friend is making clothes. Can we say omg this is cute!
  • casi_ann
    Options
    Welcome Patchesgizmo and menletti, thanks for joining the group. Sounds like both of you keep busy with the hobby. Great job. :wink:
  • menletti
    Options
    I have a son who lives in Juneau. A few years back he sent me a handful of salmon vertabrae that he picked up along the beach. I know it sounds gross but they made THE CUTEST buttons on a little faux leather and fur coat I made for a doll.

Do any of you use unconventional things in your projects?
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just followed menletti here from another group! I am a quilter, although I like to embellish clothing. One of my favorite things to add to make an outfit unique is buttons. So I would like to hear more about button collections. The salmon vertebrae sounds awesome.
    I don't know that I have used unconventional things in my quilting, but I am also a photographer who loves taking photos of flowers. I printed my flower pics on fabric for my last quilt and I hope to do more of that.
    Right now I have two wedding quilts that need attention, but it has been so HOT in Maryland that I have not been doing much quilting. The weddings are both in September and I have resigned myself to aiming for Christmas presentations of the wedding quilts. I am going to do a full size Hawaiian appliqué quilt for my daughter and I am a little nervous. A niece is also expecting twins, so I am waiting to hear the sexes before I start those baby quilts. LOL before I had kids I would never have made gender specific baby quilts. But after having 2 girls and a boy, I like the nontraditional but gender specific quilts.
  • casi_ann
    Options
    Welcome hairsprayhon, glad to have you here. Melletti, I think using the salmon vertebrae is very creative. I have lots of buttons but wouldn't consider them a collection really. I like to embellish my projects with embroidery, applique and to do felting. I also like putting buttons and beads on non-tradional items you put them on
  • menletti
    Options
    I threw together a quilt for a vignette at work last Christmas. I didn't have any yarn to tie it with so I just sewed on buttons here and there. Wouldn't believe how many people wanted that quilt! Surprised me.

People give me buttons all the time or I find them on the streets or buy them at estate sales. When I'm stressed out I get my button box and look at all of them. They're very calming for me.

I made a "cowboy" shirt one time for a friend. He wanted unusual buttons on it. I went out and got a branch off a sagebrush and sliced it really thin, drilled tiny holes in the middle, sanded and sealed them and used those as buttons on his shirt.

I work in a hardware store. You can't believe how many different things can be used as buttons! My oh My!!!
  • Maeiowa
    Options
    I have sewn quilts for my grandson. I took some embroidery blocks my grandmother left me and I put them together to make a quilt for him and my future grandchild due in November. I have made a little backpack for him (he is only 3). I have made some baby bath towels with hoods too. I am sure I have made some other things, too, but can't think at the moment.
    I love to put quilt together and then send off to a quilter to do the quilting. I have free motioned quilted on little quilts but anything too big I don't even want to try to tackle!!
    What is your favorite thing to work on?
    Mae
  • Maeiowa
    Options
    I have a great collection of buttons, too. I inherited my mother's bucket of buttons. I love to put them on things too. I received a handmade keepsake quilt when I retired after 33 years of teaching. I put some of my mother's buttons on it. Makes it really special.
  • menletti
    Options
    I'm learning to quilt but it's not my favorite thing to do. A couple of years ago my daughter phoned me up and asked if I happened to have a christening gown hanging around that I could donate to a friend of hers. There were several hanging in the closet to choose from. I love doing all the fru fru on them. Tiny bows, little tiny beads, delicate embroydery....I think I like the hand work the best.
  • Maeiowa
    Options
    Sounds cool! I have a friend who makes christening gowns from wedding dresses! What a keepsake. I am not going to tackle that project.
    I started on small quilt projects - lots of times I bought kits and then went on from there. I find it relaxing (well most of the time that is)!
  • casi_ann
    Options
    My niece is going to have a baby in 2 weeks and as soon as i know the babies name i'll make some personalized baby bibs. I also love to quilt. I am to cheap to send my quilts to be quilted. I do free motion quilting on my own quilts. You'd be surprised how good you can get when you do it yourself. You can't be picky though.