More Calories or less?

Options
Joanne_8595
Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
Ok, I swear I got on the scale the last two mornings and gained 2 pounds back, and have not lost an inch! I am exercising more, and more intensely the last couple weeks and am able to do it consistently throughout the workout. It just doesn't seem as hard as it was, and I am keeping my heart rate up around 140 to 155 for most of my hour long workout, probably about 45 minutes of it. I have been doing harder workouts about 3 days a week, and 2 days of simple step type of exercise for an hour. I see my muscles appearing in my arms and legs, which is exciting and I feel a lot stronger (started using bands about two weeks ago). I upped my calories about a month ago from about 1400 - 1500 to 1670 plus exercise calories, which usually takes me to about 1900 to 2000 calories a day. The days I don't exercise I only eat the 1670 which is a little more than my bmr of 1548, TDEE 2129, and cut is 1809 which were all based on 1 to 3 hours of exercise a week. I am going on the premise that my exercise has increased significantly and the numbers for Moderate 3 to 5 days a week are bmr 1548, TDEE 2400, and 15% cut is 2040 and I think I am pretty close to that with my exercise. I am also not very active otherwise, with spending a significant amount of time on the computer and doing normal cooking of meals and dishes, that sort of thing.

My thought is I need to eat closer to 1900 calories on exercise days, with the thinking that I am not quite at the moderate 3 to 5 day activity level, but I am no longer at the 1 to 3 hours a week level either. I want opinions as to what you all think about it.

I feel great, have tons of energy, and have increased my protein levels over the last few weeks. There are only two other factors that I can think of that could cause me to gain, salt intake is slightly high and I drink coffee. I do drink a LOT of water though to combat both of these. Usually around 88 oz in a day, four 22 oz water bottles. My food diary is open for all to see, if you are interested in looking closer.

Is it possible that I'm simply gaining muscle and losing things like my double chin? My husband says he sees a difference, but my clothes fit exactly the same and the tape measure doesn't show any differences either. Sigh...

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think you are definitely within the moderate exercise category. Better to overestimate than underestimate. You could try playing with your macros (more protein, less carbs?) and see if that makes a difference. Are you getting enough fiber?
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    I am getting around 20 to 30 grams a day, which I think is pretty good?
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    I would shoot for around 30, and loads of fruits and veggies. I havent looked at your diary, but sometimes just getting more fruits and veggies in makes a huge difference!
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    I normally get a decent amount of veggies each day, but fruits I can only eat a small amount of. I get blisters in my mouth when I eat them, not a good thing. I do try to eat about 1/2 a cup a day of some kind of fruit though. Veggies are about 2 cups a day, which usually include lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots.

Right now I am working on the 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat levels. I tend to go over on the fat content trying to raise my calories, but my carbs tend to be low. My protein levels have come up since adding the shakes, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and larger portions of meat.
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    Been thinking about the macros. I only just started working hard to up my protein levels the last couple weeks, before that I was at about 20%. Do you think I need to give this more of a chance to work?
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Bummer about the fruit...as far as macros, yes, I think that would be a good thing. Also I'd really try to get some more veggies in, especially green ones. Another thing to consider would be to add some intervals to your cardio (think 30 seconds as hard as you can, 30 seconds ease off) and repeat for the duration of your workout. If you can add any kind of weight/resistance training that would probably be a beneficial addition as well.
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    Interesting, that's what my Wii Active 2 does, but more like a few minutes of running, then squats and jumps, then uses a band for toning, gives me quite a workout. I usually follow it with cardio, boxing, Kickboxing, then simple step aerobics. Opposite days I just do Wii fit step for about an hour. I want to get some dumb bells too, but have to wait on that.
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    I'm reading new rules of weight lifting for women right now. Just started it yesterday, but have heard its good.
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    Stupid scale. I really should tell my hubby to hide the thing. It puts doubts into my head, when I KNOW what I should be doing. I still want to know if anyone has any ideas, or thinks if I am off track, but I have a feeling that I just need to keep going and make sure I keep the protein levels up. The one thing I do know, even if it's not showing up on the tape measure or the scale, I am a LOT stronger then I was a couple months ago. I can plain DO so much more! The truth is I am healthier and happier this way, even when it's not showing where I want it to. :)