grip on deadlift

Options
tchrmom04
tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
Ok - I know I've seen this before but can't find the posts. I am on Stage 2 - I did Workout 3B today. Anyway - I'm at 95 lbs on my deadlift. It isn't the deadlift that is the problem - but rather the grip on the bar. It keeps trying to slip out of my hands and I have to stop - and put it down mid-set. I think I'd be able to do the whole set without stopping if I wasn't worried about dropping the bar. Any ideas?

Sherry

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I use to use chalk.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I use small weight lifting gloves. They work pretty good for grip. If the weight is too heavy for your grip, you may want to do some strength exercises that focus on the muscles in your hands and forearms.
    Keep on rocking those deadlifts!
    95 is AWESOME!!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Try the mixed grip -one hand facing you and one away from you. As you keep lifting your grip will get stronger.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I find a mixed grip helps (one hand over hand and one hand under hand).
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip has helped me take strides. I'm at 150 on the deadlift and the mixed grip helps me hold it for the whole set.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'll 2nd (or 4th) the mixed grip.

95lbs is amazings! I'm just off to the gym to do B3 and I'm still only at 45lbs (bar only). I've been working on my form though and may have to change to the Romanian deadlifts for a while due to struggling with the weight!
  • tchrmom04
    Options
    Thank you so much! :) I will try the mixed hold for sure. I really appreciate all the responses.

Sherry
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (stronglifts maybe) to use chalk first until that doesn't help anymore and then the mixed grip. I tried the chalk for the first time yesterday and held on to a bigger weight much easier than I had the day before with a smaller weight. Btw, it's called DEADlift for a reason, the weight should actually end up back on the floor at the end of each rep which may allow you a fraction of a second to regrip.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    ^you have all the good answers here: gloves, mixed grip, and resetting when you hit the floor
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It is ok to let go of the bar between rep.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above suggestions. The only thing that I wanted to add is that for me the mixed grip felt very very awkward at first. So don't give up on it too easily!
  • tchrmom04
    Options
    Well today I did the deadlift as part of my Stage 2 routine. I tried to let go of the bar as it touched the ground. But I found that it was delaying my lift. If that makes sense? So I ended up letting go and regripping as needed (usually around #5) and for the last 5 of my 10 rep set I rotated with the mixed grip.

So I'm happy I finished that Stage 2. :)

Sherry