30's Daily - 7/11

Options
Leeloominai01
Leeloominai01 Posts: 93 Member
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

☞ Name/nickname reminders -
Paul (PJYoung2012)
Carrie (camsmommy2008)
Sara Grace (SaraGrace82)
Susan or Susie (susieq101178)
Debbie (shorty313)
Melissa (lissa0040)
Jackie (jaxygirl)
Sonya (sonyachan)
Ellie (ellie78)
CurlyPep (lilpe5512)
Harold (hcdawg)
Jill (Blueyz82)
Dan (G3tR1pp3d)
Stacy (chanstriste13)
Cristi (blueeyedcrist)
Amanda (AmandaK3)
Bishop or Todd(BishopSmurf)
Kelli (daisy51981)
Sarah (SarLem81)
Clare (clareeast)
Amanda (WhiteCloud)
Emma (elstein)
Cynthia (saihtnyc)
Emily (emom3boys)
Randy (Randyamc)
Sandra (Leeloominai01)
Toni (Themoodys13)
Corey (coreyisaacs)
Joe (misterbigg36)
Dee (Dedee36)
Tawnya (RubytOU)

Replies

• Leeloominai01
    Options
    I don't think I ever realized just how devastating a combo meal can be to your calories until I actually saw it.

Same here Corey - and I think this is why MFP is so incredibly useful!!

Paul I wanted to say you are absolutely right with making sleep a goal. It sounds odd but a lot of my extra weight came from not sleeping with a toddler who has a terrible terrible way of keeping me awake most nights. I started reading about it and the impact it has on your general wellbeing is pretty significant!

Dinner yesterday was a total bust :blushing: We had book club which always = wine, plus the lady who hosted gave a meal where we normally only have snacks. And I had dinner at home. But that's fine, onwards and upwards they say! I have to run again tonight so hopefully I'd be below my calorie target for the day, and I think I'll weight in again on Thursday.

Hope you all had a good day!
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I need to squeeze in my weights today around helping DH pick up his car at the shop. This week has been super hard on accommodating exercise ti seems all around!

I agree on the fast food places - I was trying to decide what to get at Wendy's (I looked up their NI online) and although they had some great low cal options, the sodium in them was through the roof! But I was able to make an informed decision, at least :wink: I was surprised at the NI for even half a container of fries though!

I've had a few comments in the last few days about lost weight :bigsmile: One from a coworker and one from my uncle.
  • saihtnyc
    saihtnyc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping back in after joining and then going MIA for a bit. I've had a ton of travel in the past month, a really hard, crazy month. I am now trying to lose the pounds I gained while traveling through South America, during my daughter's surgery, and during generally a very stressful month. :(

Sleep - that is interesting to think about - I tend to sacrifice sleep for personal time in the evening once kids are in bed. I should make it a priority as well.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Alright, first I'm going to start out by making a suggestion. As we seem to be carrying over conversations from one day to the next should we maybe just have a chat thread in general and not start a new one every day? Just a thought.

Okay, I will go to the gym tonight. No matter what it is happening.

I tend to stay away from fast food, an occasional trip to Chipolte is about as fast food as I get. My problem is restaurants! I also tend to go to local places more often than not so there is never any nutritional info. Its a bit of a guessing game but I just do my best to pick something that sounds healthy.
  • shorty313
    Options
    Ellie - funny, I was thinking the same thing about a rolling thread! Maybe we should do one/week, because I'm assuming there's a limit in how long a thread can get?

I have the same problem with local restaurants, it's really a guessing game. Though we don't go out to eat much at all with a rambunctious toddler :wink:
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree on the fast food places - I was trying to decide what to get at Wendy's (I looked up their NI online) and although they had some great low cal options, the sodium in them was through the roof! But I was able to make an informed decision, at least :wink: I was surprised at the NI for even half a container of fries though!

It is utterly ridiculous how salty fast food is, but the places that actually list their detailed nutrition info online are definitely the best. Did you know that Panera (aka St. Louis Bread Co, depending where you live) ADDS salt to all of their sandwiches? Seriously, look at their online nutrition info - you can cut out some sodium by remembering to ask for NO SALT AND PEPPER on your sandwich.

I actually wrote a letter to Chipotle (well, online feedback, but you get the idea) complaining about how ridiculously salty their chicken is - to me it's almost inedible...like eating a salt lick :sick: . To their credit, somebody actually wrote back...but he basically said that they've experimented with lower sodium food options and people don't like how they taste :grumble: . He recommended that I order the steak instead of the chicken, and the green salsa instead of any of the others, as these are the "lower sodium" options. Still high in sodium, but better than the other options....I guess if I'm going to eat fast food that's all I can hope for.

Anyhoo.... I am also recently back from some travels - such a busy summer! I spent this past weekend at a friend's lake house in Wisconsin, and I have a *wicked* bruise on my leg to show for my epic failure of a first attempt at water skiing. Fortunately for me, this trip included a lot of exercise, so despite the large quantities of beer and cheese, I actually lost about 0.5lb...with any luck, that will go down a bit more after my muscles (all of them) stop being SO SORE :bigsmile: Also, I hope the wicked bruise heals at least a little bit before traveling AGAIN this weekend to my husband's family reunion (large bruises usually don't make good impressions on the in-laws, lol).
  • Dedee36
    Dedee36 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good morning

I'm another that made the fast food mistake the other day. I forgot my supper in my vehicle and it ended up getting a little warm so I was not going to eat it. Grabbed 2 soft shell taco and OMG!! 200 cals a piece!!! Next time I'll just grab something at the cafeteria at work,

I got some breakfast today!! I think that is very hard on my diet. Since I work late, I get up late, then getting the kids taken care of, this and that.... before I know it it's 10am and an hour or so before lunch. We eat at 11:30 since I have to be out the door to go to work at 1. Then we have supper at 4 when I'm at work. So by the time i get home at 11, I'm in snack mod. Argh!
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    [/quote]

Paul I wanted to say you are absolutely right with making sleep a goal. It sounds odd but a lot of my extra weight came from not sleeping with a toddler who has a terrible terrible way of keeping me awake most nights. I started reading about it and the impact it has on your general wellbeing is pretty significant!

[/quote]

Oh totally Sandra but as a chronic sufferer of insomnia for most of my life getting enough sleep has always been a struggle. Plus seeing as I start work at 7.30 in the am I get up most days around 5am to make breakfast and prep for the day. This is why I really need to work on it. But my habits when it comes to sleep are terrible. I tend to get in from the gym and instead of going to bed I sit in front of the TV. Or worse I doze off on the couch and wake up late and then stagger off to bed. I need a set time and I need to get up later. But the brain has been trained to wake up at 5am. I really wish I could convince it who's boss sometimes.

Pretty busy day for me today as the new guy working with me is away sick. Still i got a lot done today and I feel pretty good about it. No gym tonight as Wednesday is a rest day for me when I visit with friends and go to the store. My fruit store is dangerously low. Just a couple of dubious bananas and quarter of a melon. Wont make much of a smoothie with that lot.
    I tend to steer well clear of fast food and as my fiancée isn't a fan either It's not a problem. I do like Wagamamas though and crave their chilli squid some days. I like a trip to the restaurant as i like trying new foods and have read pretty much everything Anthony Bourdain has ever written.
    What do you guys think of these cheat days my trainer keeps talking about? The idea of a workout for you metabolism sounds great but gorging on junk food on purpose seems dangerous.
  • shorty313
    Options
    We don't generally eat fast food either, we were just on a road trip with limited options :smile:

Personally, I don't believe in planned cheat days. Sure I have days where I go over for whatever reason (dinner out, some wine, etc) but generally I make room in my calorie allotment every day for the foods I like to eat, so I don't feel the need for a weekly pig out session. I eat a bit of chocolate every day, but just a small amount! I don't think my calorie goal is overall low enough to slow my metabolism or anything like that.
  • ellie78
    Options
    I don't like the idea of a cheat day either, to me it implies that you eat poorly all day, like forcing yourself to have junk food. I do, however, support taking a break from logging every once in awhile. I take the approach that I won't worry about where the number ends up, but I eat what I feel comfortable with, not what I will feel guilty about later. You may want to try logging food but not calories as well if you really feel like you need to track. To be honest I've been tracking food for so long I can pretty much add it up in my head whether I'm tracking or not, so from that standpoint I almost always make my no logging days ones where I eat out and don't know calorie content. That way I truly don't know and am basically forced to make a decision I am comfortable with as to what I eat.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good Morning you beautiful peoples, you guys are awesome!!!

I'm sooo flippin tired... that is all.

Oh and I like the idea of an ongoing thread also. ;)
  • Leeloominai01
    Options
    Today was NOT a good day, again. My calories are ok but the nutritional value of what I ate is just :embarassed:

And I'm flaking out of running tonight, I'm way too tired and my head isn't 'right'. I have 1 more run for the week so I'll do it tomorrow night.
  • coreyisaacs
    Options
    I also am really flippin tired. Went to bed when I usually do, but when the alarm went off I slapped the snooze button for about an hour and a half. Just one of those mornings I didn't want to move.

I agree that having an ongoing thread for the week would be better.

Our problem is not fast food, but resturants a well; specifically local ones. So we try and find generic information and enter it the best we can. I enjoying logging my food in and seeing the calories. Just lets me know how terrible I was eating before and just how easy it is to overeat.

Also, I really enjoy this group...you guys are awesome and inspirational.
  • ellie78
    Options
    I finally got to the gym last night and I am pretty dang sore today! I also was forced to use the squat rack facing the mirror and had to watch myself doing front squat push presses and man was that not cute! any dream I had of looking hot while lifting are now shattered, lol
  • shorty313
    Options
    So I lost 1.5 lbs this week, which while normally is great, it's because I have some weird stomach bug this week that started Sunday. I start the day off fine, but then after 2pm I get terrible pains and am useless most of the rest of the day. :sad: So I've ended up the last 3 days under calories (not terribly so, but still). I wonder if dairy may be the culprit, I'm going to cut it out for a few days to see if it helps. Maybe it's hormones? It's just so odd that it doesn't kick in til afternoon - I'm not eating the same things every day so it's not like there's an obvious source of pain.
  • coreyisaacs
    Options
    Stomach bugs are not the ideal way to lose weight, but its weight loss nonetheless. Hope you get to feeling better though.

I did not lose anything for this week. It may be due to my starting to reincorporate weight training into my routines. It's been a good steady loss up until now, but I'm not discouraged in the least. I think it's called recomposition or reshaping when you start building muscle and lossing fat. That of course, is a good thing, but it is frustrating when the scale doesn't move even when your clothes start getting loose.

We are heading to see some friends this weekend, and I am really looking forward to it. Though it may be difficult to stay under my calorie goal, we're going to have a lot of fun!!!
  • saihtnyc
    saihtnyc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I'm sorry about the stomach bug! That is a crappy way to lose weight when you don't feel good. It's much better to have loss weeks where you feel fantastic and powerful and healthy. Hope next week is that kind of week for you!

I'm needing some motivation so I want to be more active in this group. In the past I've been a person who motivates others and sticks with eating healthy and great. I am just struggling right now, my downfall is treats in the office kitchen. Just when I think I'm doing well, someone brings in donuts the other day. I resisted until it was close to lunch time and then I was just starving so I had one. Then it was a plate of cookies sitting in front of me at a meeting yesterday for 2 hours. Eventually I had some!

Does anyone have good strategies they use? I'm trying to remember my pre-baby-rocking-the-weight-loss strategies I had going on back then. I think my best one was to have a healthy snack with me so if I felt hungry I just ate carrots or a yogurt and wasn't eating the bad things out of of hunger. And then just resisted the temptations by thinking of how much I'd hate having to log those things.
  • SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to chime in that Debbie's idea of having a weekly thread is fabulous. Since I am out west I often to get the thread after the conversation has more or less ended for the day. If it just continued on that would be awesome!

My knee is going much better. I am hoping I can start the NRoWL back up soon. Target is next week.

I am also just trying to stand up a lot more. There is sooo much compelling literature about the damage that sitting at a computer all day does to our bodies. I am thinking about getting a Fitbit to track how much time I spend moving versus being still. I have been threatening to enact a rule that if I am chatting online, writing email, or writing forum posts I MUST stand. It's not so hard since our kitchen counter is exactly the correct height for working on the computer while standing.

I have been doing some research on the Mediterranean Diet and I think we are going to try it for awhile. Seems to meet our needs & desires pretty well. Anything too low carb makes me very grump and unpleasant to be around. I like that this diet suggests lot's of whole grains and beans. Also, you are supposed to have a salad with every meal which should help with getting in more vegetables.

Glad to see the thread so busy! You guys are wonders.

Sara Grace