Newbie with pull-up goal

Options

Replies

• LadyAshes
    LadyAshes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this challenge! Unassisted here I come.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can do it ladies!!!! And it is so worth the effort. I am a very narrow shouldered, petite, 40 year old and I just achieved my first un-assisted pull-up this week! I've been using the Lifeline revolution band during my P90x2 workouts. About a month ago I started doing "negatives" (going as slow as possible on the way down of the last 3 reps of each set) and really pushing myself every time i workout to use less support. I made marks on the band and numbered them so I could keep track for logging each exercise.

This is by far the most satisfying, empowering and exciting fitness achievement of my life.

NOW I'M WORKING ON DOING 2 IN A ROW!!!!!

Highly recommend the Lifeline Revolution band for assistance
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm on the quest for pull-ups too! With the advice of someone I trust, I've started doing weighted negatives with a chin up grip. Hoping to transition to a pull-up grip as I get stronger.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Great goals! I am trying to increase my pullups. They are very tough! For years I couldn't do it, and then one day I suddenly could! It's a great feeling.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    OK, tonight I managed lots of assisted pull-ups with legs stretched out and resting on a bench in front of me. I learnt that the further away the bench is, and the straighter the legs therefore, the harder the pull-ups are. So the plan is to keep moving that bench.

Also managed 3 x 20 second negative chin-ups (in NROLFW), and half a (positive?) chin-up - half because I started on a bench where my arms were already bent, so I didn't have the full distance to pull myself up from. Not explaining that so well - I did take my feet off the bench!

How's everyone else doing?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    That's great progress! I know what you mean by arms not fully extended -I still count it as a chin up:)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i read that it's best to not do the pullups with your arms fully extended because it puts too much pressure on your elbow joint so you should alway try to keep a slight bend in your arm.

apparently there are people who have torn their biceps from doing pullups with locked arms
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 2 sets of 5 chin ups right now. When I started out I couldn't even do 1! A really useful way to get started is to just do the lowering down part, so stand on a stool, grab the bar, release your feet and lower down super slowly. Also doing push ups with your feet raised (on a stool for example) is good practice. Push ups use some similar muscle groups but with less body weight, so raising your feet is a great transition move to chin ups because it increases the amount of resistance on those muscles.

Excellent advice!

I'm up to 4 right now...I'll join you in reaching 2 sets of 5!!!
  • Zalitharia
    Zalitharia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 2 sets of 5 chin ups right now. When I started out I couldn't even do 1! A really useful way to get started is to just do the lowering down part, so stand on a stool, grab the bar, release your feet and lower down super slowly. Also doing push ups with your feet raised (on a stool for example) is good practice. Push ups use some similar muscle groups but with less body weight, so raising your feet is a great transition move to chin ups because it increases the amount of resistance on those muscles.

Excellent advice!

That is a great idea. I was up to 6 pull ups about 5 weeks ago, but I messed up my neck and my upper back and had to stop for 2 weeks. I tried again after two weeks, feeling good up until the 5th one, and I pulled something in my neck again, but this time not as badly. Now I'm nervous to push as hard as I need to push to continue to build the muscles. My goal for the end of the year is to do 10.

For those of you just starting it took my a long time to be able to do the first one, but it was so worth the effort. Keep it up! :)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    So i tried to do some reverse pull ups, and boy are my abs sore. Anyone else have that problem?
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

Excellent advice!

That is a great idea. I was up to 6 pull ups about 5 weeks ago, but I messed up my neck and my upper back and had to stop for 2 weeks. I tried again after two weeks, feeling good up until the 5th one, and I pulled something in my neck again, but this time not as badly. Now I'm nervous to push as hard as I need to push to continue to build the muscles. My goal for the end of the year is to do 10.

For those of you just starting it took my a long time to be able to do the first one, but it was so worth the effort. Keep it up! :)

About a month ago, when I was going for 4 in a row, also pulled/strained my neck and back. It was awful! I am listening to my body more and when it says "NO" I'm listening from now on. I just wanted #4 so badly! I can do it now, slow and steady wins the race : )
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    So i tried to do some reverse pull ups, and boy are my abs sore. Anyone else have that problem?

Do you mean, lowering yourself down from the pull-up postion or hanging upside down by the knees?
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back to the links posted. This was a goal for me too, and I'm not quite there....
  • Dancer113
    Dancer113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in on this challenge! This has been a goal of mine for some time...determined to get it done! Good luck ladies!
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm working on these as well (pull-up and chin-up). Here's a great page from the StrongLifts program on form and tips. If you can't do pull-ups yet, maybe try chin-ups as the article recommends. I'm finding quicker strength gains with chin-ups. I'm working on improving my upper body strength. Here's the article:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-pull-ups-and-chin-ups-with-proper-technique/
  • LinteeBean
    Options
    I'm also a newbie and have a goal in mind of being able to do an unassisted pull-up! I ordered New Rules of Lifting for women, which arrived last night.
    Fortunately, my gym has an assisted pull-up machine, so I'm using that... but I also found this link REALLY interesting and educational. Among other things, it explains how to work up to doing an unassisted pull-up (or push-up).

http://www.crankyfitness.com/2011/07/push-ups-and-pull-ups-for-women-too.html
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i read that it's best to not do the pullups with your arms fully extended because it puts too much pressure on your elbow joint so you should alway try to keep a slight bend in your arm.

apparently there are people who have torn their biceps from doing pullups with locked arms

According to Mark Rippetoe in Starting Strength, "A correct chin up or pull up starts with straight elbows and ends with the chin well over the bar, as high as possible. An incorrect chin up displays an incomplete range of motion, starting with bent arms or ending under the bar."

I can't think of anyone whose word I would take over Rippetoe when it comes to pure srength movements, so I do feel like I'm cheating if I keep my elbows bent. But I can't say I've heard from any fitness professional recommend to keep elbows bent. It sounds more like a bodybuilder thing to focus on biceps development.
  • michellelee2935
    michellelee2935 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mine is on the 15th, i am so in
  • jpratt44
    jpratt44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I flippin' love this challenge! I am so in! Ever since grade school and that stupid fitness test I've always wanted to be able to do one. Life long goal achievement underway!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I can now do 3 consecutive negative chin-ups for 20 seconds with no difficulty at all. I've been doing assisted pull-ups with my feet on a bench in front of me, and they are easy too. But I tried a 'real' pull-up a few days ago and it seems like I am still a million miles away. :frown:

Don't know how to bridge that gap.