Fitbit users

Options

Replies

• DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm no less confused now than I was last night or this morning. I think I'm just going to go back to my old way of logging on MFP and hope it all syncs over onto Fitbit. I have to do all my food & activity logging on my Android phone and can only sync intermittently when I lug my MacBook to some wifi hotspot. Logging via the Fitbit app sucks because it won't let me custom create exercises. :p
  • Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I think your best bet is to go to the Fitbit forum. There is a fellow MFP-er named "Kimsied" there who is super-knowledgeable and helpful. She really knows her stuff when it comes to Fitbit and the syncing between Fitbit and MFP.

Here's a bit of what I know:

Regarding calorie goals. The number displayed on your Fitbit would be your TDEE (on the first day it may be higher than expected because it also includes your BMR & sedentary activity burn since 00h00 that day, not since you "switched it on"). On the fitbit website you can set certain weight loss goals (the typical lose a pount = 500 cal a day deficit), so the website will give you a calorie target depending on the goal that you have selected.

I have found that I needed to change my MFP activity level because I was getting some very high fitbit adjustments on MFP even on days I didn't exercise. And I have also found that my calorie burn was a bit higher than scooby estimates for moderate activity (which I thought I was). But it is so much easier to see your actual TDEE. Once you have worn your Fitbit for a while you can get a daily average which will be a better TDEE to use to calculate your cut value.

[Edit to add: I would definitely suggest only logging food and exercise on MFP and linking MFP and Fitbit. You actually don't need to use the stop / start function for exercise where you measure with a HRM. When you have done the linking you also record a start time for the activity on MFP, then Fitbit will over-write its recorded burn with what MFP tells it you burned during that time]

Enjoy!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I actually unlinked mine for now. I am going to use both separately for a week to see my numbers first. Then I will try to link them again.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I actually unlinked mine for now. I am going to use both separately for a week to see my numbers first. Then I will try to link them again.
    So are you going to logg your exercises on the FitBit site?
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    So are you going to logg your exercises on the FitBit site?

For now yes. Probably this whole first week I will just do both until I get a picture of what I am actually burning. Then I will try to link the two. I was just getting so confused.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Is this forum on their site? Trying to get prepped to set up best friends.

Thank you!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    Is this forum on their site? Trying to get prepped to set up best friends.

Thank you!

They have a forum on their site but there is a group on here for fitbit users.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Thanks Heidi! I will look for that. Hers is expected to arrive Thursday.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit!

I don't remember setting a TDEE. I let it pick based on my age, weight, etc. It was really close. It adjusts the calories burned by your activity and steps, so it's not set in stone once it's set. It will change depending on how active you are. I'm considered lightly active. And looking at the Fitbit dashboard, it's true, I am not the go-getter I was in my 20s and 30s.

I sync mine with MFP, log my food into MFP, but I log my activity into Fitbit so that MFP doesn't change my calorie goal. That DROVE ME CRAZY in MFP!. I mean, my goal is to lose weight, and activity increases my chances, but MFP would just add those burned calories to what I could eat every day. I hated that!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just got mine and am patiently (well, sort of patiently) waiting for it to finsih charging.

Setup was super easy and it seems to sync well with MFP!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I just got mine and am patiently (well, sort of patiently) waiting for it to finsih charging.

Mine took no time at all to fully charge...less than 20 mins I think!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Mine took no time at all to fully charge...less than 20 mins I think!

Mine is charged and resting comfortably on my bra. Hey, does anyone know if boob bounce will throw off the numbers? I'm pretty busty!
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Options
    I haven't been using mine but I've just resynced it etc and ready to go!

Set myself some goals on the dashboard, looked back at the past and when I was hitting 7000 steps a day my TDEE was 2150!

So thats my new goal, everyday :-)
  • MeganKate24
    Options
    What I would like to know is how will you use your Fitbit on EMTWL.

If I do 7,500 steps - my calorie burn in 24 hours is around 2150.

If I multiply that by 7, and add on the calorie burn from my workouts (I wear a HRM), then deduct the amount I'm eating (1950) it leaves me with a deficit of 400 a day. This is higher than Scooby thinks I'm doing. It could also mean that on exercise days I'm below my BMR, as normally I just watch my exercise calories - but if I'm doing that much movement, that in itself is clearly burning calories if its taking me 150 calories higher than Scooby thinks I would do.

Hope that makes sense!
  • Glitter969
    Options

If I multiply that by 7, and add on the calorie burn from my workouts (I wear a HRM), then deduct the amount I'm eating (1950) it leaves me with a deficit of 400 a day. This is higher than Scooby thinks I'm doing. It could also mean that on exercise days I'm below my BMR, as normally I just watch my exercise calories - but if I'm doing that much movement, that in itself is clearly burning calories if its taking me 150 calories higher than Scooby thinks I would do.

Hope that makes sense!

Since my HRM exercises are logged on MFP and then synced to Fitbit I didn't add those workouts to my TDEE. I think the problem is if you add it it may lead to double counting (say you exercised from 07h00 to 08h00 one day, then Fitbit would have also calculated your BMR and movement for that period, maybe not as much as the HRM if the activity was lifting, but still). That's one of the reasons I prefer syncing as Fitbit then replaces its own count for the time period with what you logged on MFP.

But the rest of your method is the same as what I did. Only I used a longer time period (about two months' worth of data) to calculate my average TDEE for the period.

Regarding netting below BMR, I only deduct real exercise from my calorie consumption to check what I am nettng. But that is just how it made sense to me, not based on anything factual.
  • MeganKate24
    Options

Hope that makes sense!

Since my HRM exercises are logged on MFP and then synced to Fitbit I didn't add those workouts to my TDEE. I think the problem is if you add it it may lead to double counting (say you exercised from 07h00 to 08h00 one day, then Fitbit would have also calculated your BMR and movement for that period, maybe not as much as the HRM if the activity was lifting, but still). That's one of the reasons I prefer syncing as Fitbit then replaces its own count for the time period with what you logged on MFP.

But the rest of your method is the same as what I did. Only I used a longer time period (about two months' worth of data) to calculate my average TDEE for the period.

Regarding netting below BMR, I only deduct real exercise from my calorie consumption to check what I am nettng. But that is just how it made sense to me, not based on anything factual.

Yes, I do deduct 90 calories for resting which is what I get approx on Fitbit & HRM for an hours rest.

I don't log my exercise calories at the moment anywhere but in my diary / note section on here, as my diary is set manually for 1950 everyday - and it gets too confusing when everything is changing all the time! :)

I just keep an eye out that I don't burn more than 500 as then I would need to eat some back to meet BRM.

I will just carry on as I am doing I think? -If I didn't have the gadgets I would be none the wiser that my TDEE is perhaps a little low.

So did you decide on your TDEE cut from 2 months worth of data, rather than by using Scooby? x
  • Glitter969
    Options

So did you decide on your TDEE cut from 2 months worth of data, rather than by using Scooby? x

100%. Scooby is a generic estimate but my Fitbit data is specific to me :)

Sounds like you have worked out a method that will work well for you!
  • MeganKate24
    Options

100%. Scooby is a generic estimate but my Fitbit data is specific to me :)

Sounds like you have worked out a method that will work well for you!

Tempted to do this but if I stick with Scooby at the 1950 cut which I think is low, and take an average over a month, my bodys going to be use to 1950 and I'm not being very consistent if I change then! :-(

I think my daily burn is around 2350 (going from estimates of previous months using Fitbit etc)! So should eat around 2050 a day for my -300 defecit rather than 1950.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I am going to get a couple weeks worth of average burns from my fitbit before I sync it up to MFP.

Basically I wanted the fitibit to really settle my mind that eating so much was okay. It's already done that. PLus it is motivating me to move more.

If my average burn from my fitbit is higher than scooby than I will go with fitbit since it is more specific to me than scooby which is more of an estimate.

As for changing your calories....changing them once isn't going to ruin the whole consistency thing. The consistency idea is more for people who are doing 1800 one day, 2400 another day, 1200 another day etc. If you are bumping your cals once to match your current activity level it's not going to negatively impact you.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Got them this morning. Will the indicator say fully charged or just continue to stay high? Thank you!