Welcome RN's! Introduce yourselves!

Options

Replies

• amykins68
    amykins68 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm Amy, an Oncology infusion nurse at Cedars-Sinai in Beverly Hills, CA. I LOVE my job and have done oncology nursing for my entire 10 years as a nurse.

My weight has fluctuated my entire life. I've lost LOTS of weight (60-100 pounds) three times in my life and gained it all back...plus some. I just turned 44 and the time is NOW! I'm tired of feeling like crap. This time, it's do or die!

I look forward to supporting and receiving support from the folks on this site. Good luck!
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Strivingforhealth12 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello to my fellow nurses! I have been an RN for almost 30 years. I don't feel that old, but that sounds really old!

I joined mfp 5 weeks ago and just discovered the message board and this group. I work as a supervisor in a long term care facility. I love my job (most days) and especially enjoy working in end-of-life care.

One of the biggest challenges at work is staying away from the "goodies" that are always around. Grateful families, hospice agencies, other vendors, always bringing us food. And then there's the birthday celebrations, ... I do try to bring enough healthy snacks in my lunch bag to try to keep me away from the other stuff.

I welcome conversations with the rest of you about how you "strive for health" as a nurse.
  • NicoleJennaS
    Options
    Hi all! I'm an ER RN in the beautiful state of Washington . Today is my first day out here. Thus far I've been doing this "weight loss thing" on my own and lost 11 lb. Now I feel I need a support of other people to get rid of the last 12 pounds. Nice to be a part of your group.
  • rabbittoes
    rabbittoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone.

I have been a nurse for 16 yrs now. I started out in ICU/CCU. Then worked in Hospice for 5 yrs. I now work outpatient surgery and love having my life back. NO weekends or Holidays. I joined long ago and then tried again at the first of the year, but haven't lost much weight. Been working on eating healthier and lifestyle changes. Recently purchased a vitamix machine and absolutely love it. Stress eating is my downfall. Losing a total of 60 lbs would make my heart sing for sure! I do love nursing but can't seem to find a balance between working and eating...LOL:heart::heart:
  • NEWME911
    NEWME911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HELLO!

I AM TORIA. I LIVE IN NC. I HAVE BEEN A RN FOR 11 YEARS. I HAVE WORKED IN GERIATRICS. I CURRENTLY WORK IN THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT AND TEACH NURSING ASSISTANTS AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. LOVE NURSING AND TEACHING!!!! I HAVE AN ADORABLE EIGHT YEAR OLD SON. I JUST JOINED MYFITNESS PAL TODAY. IT'S HARD TO STAY IN SHAPE WITH THE FAST AND STRESSFUL LIFESTYLE THAT I HAVE. BUT I'M READY TO GET STARTED AND GET FIT!!!
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Strivingforhealth12 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    HELLO!

I AM TORIA. I LIVE IN NC. I HAVE BEEN A RN FOR 11 YEARS. I HAVE WORKED IN GERIATRICS. I CURRENTLY WORK IN THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT AND TEACH NURSING ASSISTANTS AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. LOVE NURSING AND TEACHING!!!! I HAVE AN ADORABLE EIGHT YEAR OLD SON. I JUST JOINED MYFITNESS PAL TODAY. IT'S HARD TO STAY IN SHAPE WITH THE FAST AND STRESSFUL LIFESTYLE THAT I HAVE. BUT I'M READY TO GET STARTED AND GET FIT!!!

Welcome to the journey!
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So cool to find a group of RNs here!! I'm new to the profession, and start my 1st job in a few weeks. Going to be night shift once orientation is done. I'll be on the CICU. Hoping to learn lots from you guys ... weight loss tips, work tips, whatever it is you're all willing to share! I came to MFP AGAIN to try to jump start my weight loss ... being in the professions I felt that I should lead by example. Hard to tell people how to eat right when you're a bit of a chunky monkey yourself ... know what I mean?? Looking forward to meeting you all! Have a great week!
  • training101
    Options
    I have been a registered nurse for 12 years in the hospital setting. I have worked in oncology, cardiac step down, and ICU. Most of my career has been on midnights, afternoons, and weekend cadre shifts. I have developed some bad eating habits over the years. For example, ordering take out with the group at 1 am. I have lost and gained large amounts of weight. Now I have to start practicing what I teach patients about healthy eating habits. Recently I have accepted a day shift position in discharge planning. It is my goal to track what I eat and exercise on a consistent basis. On a personal note, I have been married for 18 years and have one son who is a teenager.

Please feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey. :0)
  • jennpiller
    Options
    Hi, i am Jenn, I am a psychiatric nurse and I've been a RN since Aug. 2010. I love my job but it's very stressful. Been watching my calories for awhile now but just joined lifetime fitness and adding exercise now, not just for weight loss but stress relief.

looking forward to getting to know you.

jenn
  • jmobashrn11
    jmobashrn11 Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jessica. Graduated in May with my BSN and became licensed this week. I had an interview with an oncology floor this week as well - hoping to find out soon that I got the job!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    My name is Beth and I have been an RN for 7 years. I've worked in the OR since graduating and I love it! Since getting married in 2007 and having 3 kids in four years, I've packed on 40lbs. Hoping to lose it with the support of MFP and the nutrition plan and workouts from NROL4W (at this time).
  • Celticb3lly
    Celticb3lly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My name is Sarah. I have been working as a nurse for 2.5 years now on the same unit. I work on a med surg ubit that focuses mainly on surgical patients. I have had trouble dealing with the stress, scheduling (12 hour shift and only a 30 min unpaid lunch break that usually does not happen until 1 p at the earliest) and loneliness. I live 90 min away from my family and 3 hours away from my best friend. I on occasion hang out with coworkers but they are truely the only ones I know in the town I live in.

I have never been thin in my life. Now though between the weight I put on in college and the with work, I have more to loose than ever before. I admit to having been a yoyo dieter. I want to finally achieve my goals and ultimately get down to a size 8 or 135 pounds. I am currently 262 at last check 2 weeks ago and wear a size 18 to 22 depending on the company.
  • joannecooper63
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joanne. A GP practice Nurse in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire UK. I have been a RN for 23 years. Even when I'm writing it I cannot believe it has been that long. I live in The Fens with my Husband of 25 years and both my children are at University. I have gradually put on weight again after the kids have gone, partly empty nest and partly with my Husband being on late shift and being on my own in the evenings and eating all the wrong things.
    I am 50 next May and I do not want to be as heavy as this after then. I know I need to be very disciplined and I would like to be able to share this journey with others who are going through the same thing. Good luck to everyone starting on this journey.:smile:
  • obizyanka
    obizyanka Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am a brand new RN (new career) and was just hired for my first nursing job and it is one of my dream positions L&D. I'll take any advice or tips you can give :) Im soo excited, and nervous, and afraid haha :) I liked L&D best during clinicals and was not the fondest of med/surge.  I'm looking fwd to more nursing edu- however i will wait 6mo, b/c then the hospital will cover further edu. (im already in over 100k in other degrees---whole 'nother story)

As for my body, I want to drop about 10 pounds (who doesnt) but more than the numbers game, i'm in great shape honestly, and just want to get toned up. if the numbers dont change its ok, i want to lose inches!
    I want to get back to my regular toned self and keep it that way. I will need to figure out a food and work out plan for when my new job will start. Orientation will be days, so thats fine- but my real shift will be 3-11 with some nights and weekends.
  • MiaLTaylor
    MiaLTaylor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My name is Mia, mother of three. I guess that makes me Mamma Mia. I've been a nurse for 13 years. Started out in TCU them went to ICU. From there I went to the goat pool, but I've been in PACU for the last 6. We are constantly changing things up. Now PACU also means endo, Same day center, and now relieving OR circulatory for lunch. I'm looking for a lifestyle change that will fit my iterative schedule . It's hard to work out when I'm on call a lot.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm an RN and work the Trauma Center in Memphis,TN. I did shock trauma for 7 yrs and have now transferred to a different pace in Interventional Radiology. Had gastric bypass on 4/9/12. So far i'm down 84 lbs. Starting weight was 376 lbs! My goal is 200 lbs. I may not reach that goal but I plan on getting darn close!
    I'm married and between my wife and kids we kave 6 kids between us. Ages range from 21-4. The oldest and youngest are mine with hers all in the middle. My wife Christi41475 is also a member here. She had gastric bypass in 10/10. She has lost close to 150 lbs. And I must say she is SMOKING HOT! Just had a mommy makeover June 1.
    Friend us and chat away.
  • gatigress
    gatigress Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiyas everyone. I am a nurse on an inpatient psych unit. I have been a nurse for 2 1/2 years. I went straight into psych from nursing school and I love it. Sadly night shift and weight gain went hand in hand and now I am on the road to trying to get back into shape. I started working out this week. Not really doing a diet, just trying to eat healthy and work out more. Nice to meet everyone.
  • KatdenRN
    KatdenRN Posts: 52
    Options
    Hey! I am Katrina. I have been an RN for 13 years. I traveled for 2 years. I have been working in an ER for the past 10 years. I have been overweight most of my nursing career and hope to change that over a very extended period of time!
  • MiaLTaylor
    MiaLTaylor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use my iPad , and I hate auto correct! Im not good at editing my stuff before I send either.
  • annjj
    annjj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been working night shift now for over 10 years and as soon as my working nights come my diet and exercise are out the window. Does anyone have any suggestions for light filling meals to eat at work and healthy snacks. I dont think I eat enough at work and then just crave lots of buttery jammy toast when I get home.
    Any help appreciated.