Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I put a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil, and the same of unsalted butter into my coffee each morning. I also use a little sweetner as well. It felt odd at first, but now I realy look forward to it. Recently i was away on a business trip and just used cream in my morning coffee, and found that I missed my coconut oil and butter. I have tried it in tea as well and it is nice, but I prefer coffee.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The term"extra virgin" is meaningless marketing babble when applied to coconut oil. Don't pay extra for it.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Grrr! Grocery store did not have coconut oil.... internet, here I come!
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sounds so weird in coffee, but I'm oddly interested.. How much do you put in?
    I add 1 tblsp of coconut oil to my morning coffee.
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    Grrr! Grocery store did not have coconut oil.... internet, here I come!

Do you have a Super Walmart? Look for Louanna brand. It is the cheapest!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you!

Any certain brands taste better than others? I assume I get extra virgin? Or virgin? Or regular?

This ^^^^^
    I have experimented with many different brands until I tried Barlean's extra virgin coconut oil. It comes in a dark container and in my opinion it may keep it fresher. I only know in my opinion it is the best one and only one I will use. When you open it you smell aroma of coconut. I use it as a moisturizer and my husband notices when I am not using it and says he wondered why he didn't smell the coconut perfume. :laugh: Check out in search engine "coconut pulling" I do this 20 minutes in the morning and also for slow thyroids massage your neck and thyroid with it. I was eating it for months out of the container a tablespoon but I can't stomach doing that anymore, it is better melted first. One last thing I recently started using it for the oil needed for my popcorn and it works great added benefit is easy way to get more coconut oil.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    I use it just like butter or oils but I don't use it a lot.

One thing I love to make is cocoa crack;)

2 Tb coconut oil
    1-2 tsp baking cocoa
    stevia to taste or xylitol (grind in a coffee grinder to make it powdered)

Stir altogether and pour on a plate--put in the freezer for an hour.

You can sprinkle unsweetened coconut or slivered almonds on top :)

Crack off a piece and enjoy. Feels like a chocolate bar in your mouth.

**You can adjust the cocoa if you like it lighter or darker.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

2 Tb coconut oil
    1-2 tsp baking cocoa

Stoir altogether and pour on a plate--put in the freezer for

Why not use cocoa butter instead of coconut oil? It has a higher melting point so it is solid at room temp. You can also use unsweetened bakers chocolate.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

2 Tb coconut oil
    1-2 tsp baking cocoa

Stir altogether and pour on a plate--put in the freezer for an hour.

**You can adjust the cocoa if you like it lighter or darker.

I do the same thing, but over soaked nuts or frozen bing cherries! yum. I use cacao and stevia with the extra virgin coconut oil.

Also, EVERYONE, make sure you get twice as much omega 3 in you as your omega 6 (coconut oil).
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000140000000000000000.html

list of omega 3 EFA food sources.

And nutvia extra virgin coconut oil comes in a clear jar, so be sure to keep it in a cool, DARK spot! All oils need to be stored in darkness.
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    I completely forgot about coconut oil...I am a huge fan and believer! Mine had went bad by the stove, so I through it out n forgot to replenish it :) but I will today! Thanks for the reminder!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i find that meats/veggies cooked in coconut oil does make it taste slightly coconutty.
    it's nothing offputting, but its there. it could be certain brands though, i've only tried one i got online for free.

on the other hand, coconut shrimp or chicken would be amazing cooked in it! - but i've never tried.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options

2 Tb coconut oil
    1-2 tsp baking cocoa

Stoir altogether and pour on a plate--put in the freezer for

Why not use cocoa butter instead of coconut oil? It has a higher melting point so it is solid at room temp. You can also use unsweetened bakers chocolate.

I use coconut oil for the health benefits. Does cocoa butter give you the same benefits? Is it also a MCT fat? I'm asking because I don't know.
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    i find that meats/veggies cooked in coconut oil does make it taste slightly coconutty.
    it's nothing offputting, but its there. it could be certain brands though, i've only tried one i got online for free.

on the other hand, coconut shrimp or chicken would be amazing cooked in it! - but i've never tried.

Find Luanna brand of coconut oil. It has no coconut flavor and is great to fry/cook with.
  • LaJaunaF
    Options

And nutvia extra virgin coconut oil comes in a clear jar, so be sure to keep it in a cool, DARK spot! All oils need to be stored in darkness.

Coconut oil is an exception to this rule. It will very rarely go rancid because it doesn't allow bacteria to grow! It is fine sitting out on the counter.
  • mstorvik
    Options

Mine came in a yellow canister from amazon :) And I have been having it in coffee in the morning with a little half and half and yum! I don't care about the oil slick! I don't notice myself being "full" longer though, but I am using 1 t right now. I love eating the rest off the spoon - tastes AMAZING!!

Coconut oil is an exception to this rule. It will very rarely go rancid because it doesn't allow bacteria to grow! It is fine sitting out on the counter.
  • JenniferDent_CHC
    JenniferDent_CHC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I always have a jar of extra virgin coconut oil on hand as well as a jar of refined coconut oil. Refined doesn't have the coconut taste so I usually use that to cook with. I don't like my eggs and spinach tasting coco-nutty! I'll use the extra virgin coconut oil in my morning tea and protein shakes.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I thought at first putting it in coffee was weird but then I had it and omg! I am converted! I love it :)!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Love Love love coconut oil! I'll have to check my brand when I get home but it's not overly coconuty tasting. I have a 5gal bucket of it since I make soap from it. I put it on my skin, in my hair, use it on my face, cook chicken and fish with it, mix it with lemon juice or vinegar for dressing... I've eaten just a spoon of it straight. Best stuff ever
  • mstorvik
    Options
    I have to admit that I kinda like eating it straight, too. :) That soap sounds GREAT!!!