Great new snack

Options
Dayna154
Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
I don’t generally start topics often but I found a new snack Jack Links Big Dippers, they have more than one flavor combination. I tried the beef stick and cheese sauce. I liked it! I had gotten it since I was doing a lot of running this weekend and I had forgotten to bring snacks and I know that cheese and the beef sticks are good but I thought Id try this new combination.
I ate the whole 3.5 z package 4 g carbs, 330 calories, 15 g fiber, a little high in sodium and cholesterol but for a on the road snack pretty good and comes in a small package.
Just thought I'd share. I live in podunk so they may have been around for a while more populated places.. : )

Replies

• dreyan
    dreyan Posts: 18
    Options
    any other snack suggestions?

I over-eat on peanuts. :D Not good.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My go-to snacks are almonds, pork rinds, strawberries or raspberries with cream cheese and a smidge of Splenda, spinach chips, and celery.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have that problem with nuts too- love them so much I can't stop. Sometimes I will slice a bit of cheese, put it on a cookie sheet and bake it til it is sort of hard- I eat it like a potato chip!!
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have that problem with nuts too- love them so much I can't stop. Sometimes I will slice a bit of cheese, put it on a cookie sheet and bake it til it is sort of hard- I eat it like a potato chip!!

You can do that in the microwave, too! I take shredded cheese, mix some spices in it, then put maybe teaspoon size piles all around a sheet of parchment paper. Microwave 40 seconds (depending on your microwave's power) till it is orangy/brown and crunchy. Oh so good! Last week we had tacos so I made a couple sheets full of them and broke them up and used them as a base for nacho's/taco salad. So nice to have something crunchy!
  • qzisue
    qzisue Posts: 8
    Options
    i like pepperoni chips with cheese microwaved then dip in sf ragu pizza sauce
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I never have luck with the microwave. What type of spices?
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I never have luck with the microwave. What type of spices?

I love garlic powder and red pepper flakes, or dry ranch dressing mix and red pepper flakes. The ranch does have carbs so only a tiny bit. Yummy!

I started at 30 seconds, checked it, set it for 5 more, checked it and did 5 more. They are good even when they are totally brown! Not as good when they are still yellow. They are chewy then and not crunchy. Just keep adding seconds till you get what is right for your microwave.
  • dreyan
    dreyan Posts: 18
    Options
    Nice suggestions!

Im gonna try those nuked cheese snacks! Sounds yummy. :smooched:
  • Dayna154
    Options
    I have seen other recipies for the baked cheese that look really good. Havent tried them yet tho.

I found a couple other recpies for Kale 'chips'. I found them on the internet.

“Sour Cream” and Onion Kale Chips
    1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2 to 3 hours
    4 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 1/2 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 small red onion, sliced thin on a mandolin
    1 head of green kale
    1/4 to 1/2 cup filtered water
    1. Starting at the bottom of the kale, strip away all leaves leaving behind only the stems. Tear leaves into approximately 2- to 3-inch pieces.
    2. In a blender, combine the soaked cashews, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and 1/4 cup water until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be the consistency of a salad dressing. Add more water if necessary.
    3. Using mandolin, thinly shave red onion. Toss the sauce with the kale and red onion until thoroughly combined and lay out on dehydrator sheets. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for approximately 12 hours or until crispy.

I made these last night but didn’t have any cashews on hand so I used peanuts instead. I baked them in the oven at 275 for an hour with the oven door OPEN since I didn’t have a dehydrator. Turned out crispy and delish!

Great recipe but I find blending the onion and adding in a bit of fresh garlic with little olive oil makes it even better. It really is perfection. No one in my house misses those greasy round yellow starchy chips.

Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips
    Like nachos only better tasting and better for you. Satisfy your every chip craving with these cheezy, salty, green, and crispy kale chips!
    Print, Email, or Text this recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 large bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves ripped up
    30 grams organic sundried tomatoes, soaked in water to soften for at least 1 hour (see note)
    1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
    2 large garlic cloves
    3/4 cup + 2 tbsp soaking water from tomatoes
    2-4 tbsp fresh basil
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 tbsp nutritional yeast
    3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

1. In two separate bowls, soak the sundried tomatoes and cashews in water for at least 1 hour, but preferably 1.5-2 hours if possible. After soaking, reserve the tomato soaking water and set aside. Drain and rinse the cashews.
    2. In a food processor, with the machine running, drop in the garlic and process until minced.
    3.. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the salt. Process until smooth, scraping sides as necessary, and add salt slowly to taste.
    4. Wash the kale leaves and tear the kale into pieces, discarding the stems. Dry the leaves in a salad spinner (this helps the sauce stick). Place greens into a large bowl. Pour the cheeze sauce on top of the kale and stir with a spoon. Then toss the spoon and get in there with your hands to massage the sauce into the kale until well coated. Season with salt to taste. I used a few shakes of Herbamare.
    5. Dehydrate for about 12 hours at 105-110F. Kale chips are ready when they are super crispy and taste magnificent. I dare you not to eat a full batch in 1 day.
    Note: My sun-dried tomatoes were very hard and dry so I had to soak them first for about 1-2 hours. If you are using oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you obviously won’t have to soak them first. I would add them to taste and then use filtered water as needed, rather than the soaking water
  • Dayna154
    Options
    Parmesan Zucchini Rounds
    These are similiar to something I make but a simplier recipe.

Ingredients:
    1 oz Parmesan, freshly grated (I used the smallest holed side of a box grater)
    ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1/8 t black pepper
    ¼ t garlic powder
    2 egg whites
    2 ½ cups zucchini rounds, sliced about 1/4” thick (this was about 2 small zucchini)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 425. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and place a wire baking rack on top (I used two metal cooling racks).Lightly mist the racks with cooking spray.
    2. Combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, pepper and garlic powder in a shallow dish and mix together.
    3. In a small bowl, beat the two egg whites. Dip each zucchini round in the egg whites to coat both sides and then press each side of the round into the bread crumb/Parmesan mixture. Place the coated round on the wire rack on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining zucchini rounds.
    4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the Parmesan and bread crumb coating is browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

Yields 4 servings. WW P+: 2 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
    Nutrition Information per serving from myfitnesspal.com: 71 calories, 7 g carbs, 2 g fat, 6 g protein, 1 g fiber
  • Dayna154
    Options
    Cauliflower Fritters | Skinnytaste

I really want to try these, they sound SO good!!

This is a delicious way to prepare cauliflower. Similar to the taste of a potato pancake. Your kids will love them! Makes approx 24 fritters depending on size of cauliflower.
    Cauliflower Fritters
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 12 • Size: 2 fritters • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 108.9 • Fat: 6.6 g • Protein: 3.8 g • Carb: 9.4 g • Fiber: 2.1 g

4 cups steamed cauliflower (roughly chopped)

2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup Pecorino Romano
    1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
    1/4 cup hot water

salt and pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, flour, garlic, eggs, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water so that batter becomes slightly more dense than pancake batter.
    On medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp of oil in a 10 inch skillet coating bottom of the pan. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to form fritters. You can fit 4 fritters at a time. Cook until golden brown, turn and cook another few minutes. Add a little more oil to the pan, and repeat with the remaining batter.
    Makes 24 fritters.
  • JPempsell
    JPempsell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try some dried Edamame. That might give the nutty crunch your looking for.
  • KingDutchess1
    Options
    That's a great idea! I love cheese and I love crunchy snacks
  • Giggles40
    Giggles40 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Spinach chips???? Do you make them yourself? Are they crunchy?

Do you have a recipe?
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I just wrap some nitrate free lunch meat around a cheese stick, simple and easy to carry, or I make a mocha with coffee and a scoop of Champion Nutrition chocolate protein stack ( I like this one because it is low carb but no artificial sweeteners).