Weighted Chins 60x5

2»

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    so can anyone here do a one arm chinup? (I can't)

Only the Rocky Balboa style. Right hand on bar and left hand gripping the right wrist.
  • One arm pull ups so seem difficult I just started doing weighted pull ups with a 35lb medicine ball in a back pack it works great pull ups are finally easy I also like to do a static hold at the top and go slow when coming down ...great burn..and helps increase your reps.
  • daharja
    daharja Posts: 15 Member
    Hi - New here, and new to bodybuilding (been at it 4 months).

Still working towards doing ONE unassisted chin - I'll get there, but in the meanwhile am cursing the way guys have all the built-in muscle. I've got a double whammy to work against - female *and* long-limbed. Will get there though!

Leanne in NZ
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Hi - New here, and new to bodybuilding (been at it 4 months).

Still working towards doing ONE unassisted chin - I'll get there, but in the meanwhile am cursing the way guys have all the built-in muscle. I've got a double whammy to work against - female *and* long-limbed. Will get there though!

Leanne in NZ

hehe just keep plugging away and you'll get it. And then you'll add weight, and then you'll try with one hand etc. etc. There is always something harder to try for all of us :smile:

Ster81: *slow clap* Farkin' awesome!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    One hand grabbing the bar while the other hand is gripping a towel draped over the bar. As you get stronger your towel hand goes lower & lower on the towel til you're eventually pulling yourself up with one arm.

This is probably the best progression to them. Once you start getting to the limit of your towel you can use resistance bands to hang on to with the other arm to further reduce the assistance, once you can do it the negative phase should be one arm only, only using the other arm to assist pulling back up.

But caution, keep a kink in the elbow, do not go to a straight arm dead hang one armed, this is extremely rough on the elbows.

I can't do an unassisted one arm chin yet, but I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Another way to throttle your lats with the pullup bar is to rotate yourself up so that your back is parallel to the ground and do BW rows (unless your abs and lats are ridiculously strong and you are very lean, you'll have to tuck your knees to your chest or at least partially tuck them). Your lats have to hold you in the rotated position simultaneous with being the primary mover for the row. This is the same thing for the back that doing pushups in the dip station is for the chest, where the chest has to hold the rotated position plus be the primary mover for the pushup.
  • chrisdavey

Another way to throttle your lats with the pullup bar is to rotate yourself up so that your back is parallel to the ground and do BW rows (unless your abs and lats are ridiculously strong and you are very lean, you'll have to tuck your knees to your chest or at least partially tuck them). Your lats have to hold you in the rotated position simultaneous with being the primary mover for the row. This is the same thing for the back that doing pushups in the dip station is for the chest, where the chest has to hold the rotated position plus be the primary mover for the pushup.

Yep! These are damn hard. If you look up Timbahwolf on youtube he does these fully extended. Absolute beast.

Another good one is overhand grip, pullup and then use you're core to raise you're legs to horiztonal while simultaneously extending you're arms and you end up in front lever position. Let legs drop back to vertical and then arms to dead hang. That is 1 rep. I don't know if there is an official name for these but Timbahwolf calls em ice cream makers for some reason so I just use that as well.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Hmm, usually an ice cream maker doesn't include the extra pullup. You start at the top of a pullup with a straight body, drop into a front lever by extending the arms and bringing the body to horizontal, then pull back to the top of the pullup instead of dropping into a dead hang. The way you describe is a little different variant on the theme. Ice cream makers are a great way to build lever strength since they aren't as ab intensive as holding the lever.
  • chrisdavey
    aah true. Didn't know that. The pullup is the easy bit anyway :tongue:
  • joepat21
    joepat21 Posts: 13
    I started doing weighted Pullups a few years ago because I work out at home and have no access to lat pull down machines and the like. Weighted Pullups are fantastic. Much better than Lat Pulls for development of a wide back, and you can use a closer parallel grip for thickness.

Also, hang from the bar with light weights after you've completed your workout to stretch the lats and encourage additional growth.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Great job!

I recently have fallen in love with weighted chin ups/ pull ups. My new dip belt will be getting a lot of use this year

I'm not quite sure why people don't tend to treat chin ups/pull ups as primary strength moves. They're one of the best mass builders (along with BB rows) for the mid back, upper back, and lats.

My goal is 100 lbs, I have a ways to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkd4FtYRNSQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Great work, OP.

For those without access to a vest or dip belt, it is pretty easy to cradle a dumbbell vertically in between your thighs without a spotter. Of course, at 100lbs this would not be very doable, but up to 50 or so should be ok.

I can't find a picture showing the grip I've used, but it goes something like this:

- Stand with you knees bent deeply and place the dumbbell between your upper thighs so your legs grip the handle
    - The top weighted end will be flush against the front of your thighs
    - The bottom weighted end will be behind your thighs and at an angle downwards so that it rests against your calves
    - Straighten up in your stance and keep a slight bend in your legs to keep the weight locked in like this - the dumbbell will not be parallel with the floor but at an upwards angle from back to front

I hope that makes sense and isn't something that will break your spine.
  • TheMattyExperiment
    TheMattyExperiment Posts: 178 Member
    I agree that Chins are one of if not the best exercise for building back and biceps mass. Last summer I was up to a 1RM of 100 lbs strapped to my waist but since then I've dropped off a little bit. Good luck with your goal! :D