How many carbs do you shoot for?

Options
mattsgrl98
mattsgrl98 Posts: 46 Member
I have pcos. Have been trying to lose weight for a long time. I am always yo yoing. Weight watchers didnt really work well. My doc recommended trying a 1000 cal diet which I found hard to stick too. Then I found MFP! Love it. I have been following calorie restrictions but am losing at a turtles pace. I have been reading about low carb and pcos, and just low carb benefits in general. I was wondering if most follow the Atkins plan or if you just limit carbs to a daily amount and not eat refined carbs. I started following low carb but not extrememly low by only getting carbs from fruits and veggies. Like today I had more carbs than I wanted but it was from 1 cup of blueberries, and 1 cup of green beans for dinner. It was 46 carbs. And 8 grams of fiber from it. So do I subtract the 8 grams of fiber from the 46 carbs? Not sure exactly how to do it lol. Or how low carb count I should shoot for. Also do you stay under the fat recommended number on here or do you tend to eat a little more fat and extra calories to make up for the lack of carbs? Any help would be appreciated :) Any low carb friends would be great, feel free to friend me if you would like. Extra support is always good :) I guess for now I am just shooting for whole foods, lean protiens and try and cut out processed junk which pretty much equals out to be low carb.

Replies

• celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am doing a diet called a ketogenic diet its like Phase 1 of atkins. I cant really "follow" the atkins diet because im highly allergic to gluten. I eat 20-30 grams of carbs per day to keep myself in Ketosis ;)
    I eat a High fat/protien diet overall the diet has helped me lose weight when no other diet would :( I can control my eating and Im not hungry all the time.

I also have pcos and other health issues that make me believe that this is the best diet for me when all other diets have failed in the past!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yes, you subtract fibre.

i eat 20 grams a day to make sure i stay in ketosis. personally i don't see a point to do low carb unless you're in ketosis, but that's me.

i eat way more fat than is reccomended (high fat, low carb)

you should read the atkins book. takes about an hour to go through all the sciency stuff and understand why it works.
    i dont count cals but i always end up eating between 800 and 1400 or so.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    More fat is the way to go, good fats (i.e. not trans fats, not oils from plants).

You can only process so much protein so blasting through the default fat allowance is a must.

The latest on my nutrition book readingfest is "The Perfect Health Diet" and this pretty much tallies with what I have been doing (although they allow potatoes and rice, not for me right now). It's a good read.
  • mattsgrl98
    mattsgrl98 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :)
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    I have just started eating low carb, and right now I am keeping it under 100 gr a day - usually around 60-80 gr ( probably less when excluding the fiber), I have my goals set at 40-30-30. I am trying not to eat rice, pasta, bread, etc. I'm not sure where I am goinf with this, will see where this takes me! So far I love it!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Some of the physicians I work for tend to go for a benchmark between 120g-150g per day, but this depends greatly on how high the A1C readings come back with.

My A1C began at 11.2 approximately one year ago, this September. For my situation, I was advised 120g per day, no more than 40g per meal if I ate three meals.

Come December 2011, my A1C was redone and measured 5.2....... Four months time, with dietary changes, and I completely erased Diabetes from coming. Three weeks ago, it was redone.. .and Im still 5.2!!!!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also follow the keto diet and stay between 20 to 30 carbs per day. This is minus the fiber. I followed this diet for 2 months and felt wonderful. Fell off of it for a few weeks and felt like crap again. I recently went back on and feel wonderful again.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As of now, I'm shooting for around 70-100g. Ideally, I'd like to be under 50 and I feel much better when I eat less carbs, which I've done in the past. However, right now I'm living at home until I get married in the fall so I'm kinda stuck with the family plan. My family is very big on the family dinner thing and my dad loves to cook (which is great, but it is usually something high in carbs and mega calories). I can usually stay under the 100 mark and still feel ok and not insult anyone by not eating dinner and making my own dinner.

I try to watch my carbs for health reasons over weight loss so it is about finding the balance that works for you. Some people do well on the keto plan and others do well with just monitoring it. I find the keto plan works really well if you aren't worried about cooking for a family. Otherwise, it gets to be a nuisance cooking multiple meals for kids, spouse, etc.

Some things that really help are just reducing certain types of carbs. Like you said, getting carbs from fruits and vegetables. Also, limiting breads, pastas, etc. A big one that helps me is what cramernh said and that is limited the amount of carbs per meal. Other things that work for me, if I have pasta for lunch, then I don't have potatoes for dinner. I try to limit my carb load to one meal, and one item per meal, if I can. It's all about finding what works for you! :smile:
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    yes, you subtract fibre.

i eat 20 grams a day to make sure i stay in ketosis. personally i don't see a point to do low carb unless you're in ketosis, but that's me.

i eat way more fat than is reccomended (high fat, low carb)

you should read the atkins book. takes about an hour to go through all the sciency stuff and understand why it works.
    i dont count cals but i always end up eating between 800 and 1400 or so.

I agree about what's the point unless you're in ketosis...

Also, I cannot seem to be able to eat that little and not be starving... Even when I am high fat. I'm kinda jealous! :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    20-30 carbs a day minus fiber and 2400 calories.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Also, I cannot seem to be able to eat that little and not be starving... Even when I am high fat. I'm kinda jealous! :)

There is a line of thought that says that skipping along on the fringe of ketosis is the best way to go, this way the body can handle _some_ carbohydrate in the diet better and it's more flexible than being completely fat-adapted.

But hey, it's all details, once you cut the grains, processed junk and sugar you are most of the way there IMO.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    wow you guys are SUPER low carb! I don't know how you do it. I strive for 100g day usually stay under but i find it pretty difficult. But alot of my carbs are from fruits (which i will not cut just because it has carbs).
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay around 100. I can't do 20-35 a day. I have lost 17lbs and by know means has it been fast. Good Luck
  • pennyo140
    pennyo140 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I'm doing up to 20 carbs per day. Yesterday was my first day. I was out of control with carbs, kept gaining, trying to diet, failing, negative self-talk until yesterday. Today I feel less bloated and big than I have in a long long time. I'm aiming to follow Atkin's induction until I get down to my goal weight, then I'll add some healthy carbs. Only 6 lbs. to go! Calorie intake around 1500 per day.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I "try" to stay below 20 grams but will go as high as 50.
    I do not deduct for fiber.
    I am very low carb and it is working great for me.
    Feel free to friend me and/or look at my diary.

Debbie
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options

lower carbs means fewer post-meal energy spike and massive dips. it all means improved overall blood sugar levels - which with that whole insulin means less fat storage. Even if you're not doing low-carb to force your body into burning fats, it can still have massive weight-loss AND overall health and energy benefits.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I shoot for no more than 50, and lately I've been at less than 30. I don't deduct fiber. I've just cut out dairy products so it might be easier for me to keep them pretty low now
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do between 15 and 20 grams a day. Most come from the salad (with extra dressing) I have at lunch.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    25-35 net... 1400 cals