Week 5!!

Options
Hi all! I just finished W5D1 this evening and felt AWESOME! My pace feels like it was faster today than it was during W4, though I'm sure I'll slow back down again for D2 on saturday. d: Was lucky enough to get a relatively cool day after a torrential downpour all morning - half of my normal route was completely underwater. Took a different path I'd been meaning to explore but was always too lazy to deviate from my normal route, and it definitely helped to have a change of scenery.

Funny fact - for some reason I just glanced at the scheduled intervals and thought D1 was an extension of W4 (I just saw 3 and 5 minutes and assumed they were the same haha). I was having issues getting through the 5 min run without checking my watch, but I noticed pretty quick I was running longer than normal, but it felt totally fine. I realized once my first run was over that it was 3 sets of 5 minutes, but the 5 min. felt just as easy as last weeks 3 minutes. Pleasant surprise!

Anyone else on Week 5? I'm kind of excited/nervous for D3... haha.

Replies

• justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just finished W5D2 tonight. Not looking forward to D3 but interested to see if I can do it. Hopefully it wont be too hot out >.<
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just finished W5D2 tonight. Not looking forward to D3 but interested to see if I can do it. Hopefully it wont be too hot out >.<

i did not find w5d2 bad at all. I am not looking forward to d3. I think my body can do it, but my mind might not make it.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I just finished W5D2 this morning. Not bad at all, but it was a little warmer than what I am used to. Nervous and excited for that infamous D3 on Tuesday... yikes!
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I will be on W5D1 Monday and think it will be a good experience. By Friday those 3 minute runs were a piece of cake. It's crazy how the body strengthens and adapts. I too am a little apprehensive about W5D3, but think it will fall in line.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Let us know how it goes!
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did w5d3 this morning. With my husband next to me and good music to listen to, I made it through the 20 minutes. It was not very fast, but I made it. I did have some discomfort for some of the 20 minutes. After the 10 minute mark I felt better. I am having shin pain this evening, but hopefully some stretches and icing will help. I got through it and it was not too hard. I am absolutely amazed at what I can do.
  • keithgi
    Options
    I was thinking W5D1 wasn't going to be that tough, but it was challenging. Don't know if it was the 95% humidity (although a relatively cool 68 degrees) or the fact that the second leg was uphill. I guess the important thing is I did it and on to D2.

@classsictoaster, et al - keep us posted on your progress, it's helpful to see how everyone is doing.

ETA: @Elisac2008 - congratulations on a successful W5D3!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I was thinking W5D1 wasn't going to be that tough, but it was challenging. Don't know if it was the 95% humidity (although a relatively cool 68 degrees) or the fact that the second leg was uphill. I guess the important thing is I did it and on to D2.

@classsictoaster, et al - keep us posted on your progress, it's helpful to see how everyone is doing.

Will do! Was originally scheduled to run tomorrow, but I think I'll run today after work, since my strength training has been put on hold for the past two days. Need to get that kickass playlist into gear.. I'm nervous haha. d: I'll post how it goes this evening!

Great work everyone! Glad to see other people conquering D3. c:
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Well, I did it! I was so nervous to get out there and run, but once I found my tempo, it was smooth sailing. It was really humid - I got out during a window of no-rain after a really drizzly, bleh day - but I powered through. Didn't stop once! And I even jogged a few minutes into my cooldown! I am so thrilled to be where I am today, considering I struggled to finish a mile back in February. Goes to show that anything is possible! (:
  • keithgi
    Options
    WTG, that is Awesome! Did not realize you were in Ft Worth. With the temps in the80s and humidity, you should be doubly proud. Glad it went well and thanks for blazing an inspiring trail for the rest of us.

BTW, I grew up in Irving and graduated from UT Arlington. I've been away for some time, but I still miss it. When I was in college, I used to run after dark by the street lights... summers, as you are well aware, are brutal there. I wasn't a morning person then, so dark thirty was the best time to get in a run.

Again, kudos to you!
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    Well, I did it! I was so nervous to get out there and run, but once I found my tempo, it was smooth sailing. It was really humid - I got out during a window of no-rain after a really drizzly, bleh day - but I powered through. Didn't stop once! And I even jogged a few minutes into my cooldown! I am so thrilled to be where I am today, considering I struggled to finish a mile back in February. Goes to show that anything is possible! (:

YAY! You get a big gold star!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I'm actually in the Houston area right now for the summer, but I go to school at TCU. (: Either way, it's always hot and humid!

Thank you so much! Finishing that run was so relieving. Now I feel like the 5K distance isn't so out of reach after all. c:

Also, I just used the MMR site to estimate my run distance, and it came out to right around 1.7ish miles in 20 minutes. ARGH so close!! Though, with my extra running into my cooldown, it came out to be right around 1.9ish, so I'm close! I guess I'm running an 11 minute mile pace for now - which I'm pretty happy with. I'll have a few extra weeks before my first 5K race to practice running the 5k distance, so I'm hoping speed will come with the extra training. (:
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    W5D1 tomorrow for me - am actually kinda looking forward to it - had a good night last night with W4D3.
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    Forgot to add -- I did w5d2 this morning. It was pretty good. I had a good podcast so that helped. I started to falter in the middle of the second 8 minute run, but picked my feet up and kept going.

Day 3 on Thursday!
  • keithgi
    Options
    WTG everybody! Did W5D2 this morning... felt pretty good, a couple of low spots but powered through. Beautiful morning, 68 degrees w/93% rel humiidy. Ironically my second run started in front of the local Krispy Kreme, I thought I could smell the raspberry filling, lol. Getting psyched about D3, not sure how I'm going to work it in as we're leaving on a trip Friday morning. May have to get up super early, we'll see.
  • darkling_glory
    Options
    Awww, yeah! I just kicked day 3's *kitten*!!

Bought some new, lightweight running shoes and had my best pace yet. So glad I ditched the trail runners!!

I feel fantastic! Can't wait to get out there again and run some more!
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's been great and inspiring for me to see all of you post your success so I figured it's time for me to share & pay it forward! I did W5D2 on the track today and it was so much easier than I thought it would be. I'm really excited about the changes in my body and I'm really feeling more confident about D3 now!
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It is so great to read about everyone's success with W5! Way to go all of you!!

I will be on to W5 on Monday............I am a week behind due to repeating week 3. Completed W4D3 this morning and felt great!! I went for an extra minute or so at the end of the last 5 minute stretch and ended up throwing in an extra jogging portion (about a minute) on my cool down walk back home. Very excited to have a go at W5D1 next week!
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Did my W5D1 today and killed it. Somehow I'd convinced myself that this was when the sneak-in run for 20 minutes was, so at the 5 minute mark I was gearing up to be 1/4 of the way done, and the app said "start walking". It was a nice surprise. I think I might actually have this!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Finished w5d2 last night after being on the road for the last week and a half for work...I thought it was going to be a struggle because I didn't really exercise or eat very well while traveling and had put on a couple pounds...but I powered through those 8 min runs without too much problem! Looking forward to the 20 min run tomorrow night!