What do you plan on doing differently this semester?

Options
Now that this first semester is over I think I'm going to do a lot of things differently than what I did last semester :) So I don't make the same mistakes ever again.

Stuff I plan on doing differently:
-Stop doodling whenever my Russian professor rambles on. Sometimes I don't pay attention to when she gets back on topic so I forget what she says :)
-Use my planner! I was using it for a couple of the beginning weeks, and then I stopped. When I keep up with writing in it I'm more organized!!
-Take something I'm actually interested in (sorry for those who like Anthropology, I just thought that class was so boring and I ended up not doing well in it :embarassed: )
-Study regularly! Not just cram. Sure I still did good, but it wasn't worth the numerous times I cried because I was so stressed out during the cram session. I've always crammed, and it always just made me so anxious! I need to stop doing that!

Replies

• Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Remember that 20 years from now, my GPA won't matter.
    I know this seems like the worst goal ever, but In about5 months, I'll be tweaking over it.... I normally ed up with a 3.2-3.5, so I can't complain.... I just need to accept that I can only do my best

other than that, I actually have a pretty good system down. :)
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ugh yeah there is so much to improve on.

1. Get to the gym at least 4 times a week.
    2. Start studying the DAY i get new information, not just the week before a test
    3. Stop eating bagles and rice bowls. Pick out a salad or a veggie sub more often.
    4. Make time for friends, but not let that be all I focus on
    5. Keep a more regular sleeping scheduel
    6. Make detailed to-do lists to keep me on track
    7. Not lose my pedometer AGAIN

25846456.png
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bah, school is getting closer and I'm starting to think about these sort of things again. Good thread.

- review my notes from lecture and readings regularly, not just before tests/exams. elaborate, make them good notes, do problem sets at the end of the chapter. really work on understanding rather than memorization.
    - be more social, get out and do stuff with people and attempt to make more friends.
    - avoid parking tickets at all costs
    - try and find a lifting buddy for the gym.
  • raemadeline
    raemadeline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    - Get my dream internship at Microsoft for the summer
    - Try to make time in my busy homework schedule (I go to Carnegie Mellon) to work out at least twice a week
    - Study more thoroughly but stress out about grades less
    - Stop stress-eating cartons of ice cream after failing exams (the reason i gained 5 pounds last semester)
  • SarahElizabeth416
    SarahElizabeth416 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i'm out of the dorms now so I get to start cooking my own food! I'm happy I have control of what goes into my meals and I can eat a lot healthier. I also want to be in the gym at least 3 days a week. Academically, I will study way more than freshman year. I think I let "college" get in the way of college last year and didn't realize how much more difficult school is at a University than high school.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    -More time in the gym, not just my once-a-week Flirty Fitness class.
    -Actually make time for friends; don't be so against going out and actually enjoying the time I have in college.
    -WRITE. I have a thesis due in mid-spring, and defense of it afterwards. This is no 'write the week before' paper. GET IT DONE.
    -Be more active with my boyfriend. No more him sitting at the desktop and me in the bedroom on the laptop.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    i. Go to office hours for my profs. The times I've gone I've gotten better marks on things, and realized that some of my professors are ridiculously rad individuals. So, I should really be spending more time with them.
    ii. Make a gym schedule and stick to it. I get too comfy/lazy at school.
    iii. Make a reading schedule. I did a reasonable job of this last semester, but I'd love to kick it into high gear and time manage better.
    iv. Make a move on my crush. Because really...why the heck not.
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Going to Japan as an exchange student so attendance will be a lot more strict. No more too lazy to get up for class days :(
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I will try not to rely so much on cafeine pills.
  • lblackham1993
    Options
    actually get up a go to uni
    not be drunk most days of the week
    stop eating pasta + salad cream as an acceptable meal
    :D
    saying this. i still did awesome last year at uni and got a first.
    still gonna party cause well I'm at uni! and dancing burns calories riiiight?! :D
  • nicolebunny55
    Options
    1. Make out a schedule for myself and actual keep it.
    2. Look at my planner after I write things down.
    3. Plan out my meals for the week.
    4. Take my lunch instead of eating the unhealthy stuff at school.
    5. Make time for at least one hour of exercise everyday.
    6. DO NOT GET STRESSED OUT (I think this is the hardest one for me)
  • rene121
    rene121 Posts: 4
    Options
    - Attend all lectures and tutorials (including the dreadful 8am tutorials and the 5pm lectures that are boring as hell)
    - Do readings, lab reports and assignments the week that they are assigned and not the day that they are due
    - Take notes in class
    - Ask more questions
    - Interact with classmates better
    - Stick to my gym schedule

I swear my list is the same every semester, and I only can keep up with it for about 2 weeks. Haha maybe I'll actually change my ways this time.
  • muffinattack
    muffinattack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    -Going to my lecture classes, no matter how tired I am.
    -Not to die between clubs, planning a convention, 17 credits and hopefully a job
    -Exercise at least 3 days a week, and go to one of the cardio classes
    -Making Dean's list (at least a 3.5)
    -Write down what I have to on a piece of paper and stick that mofo to my wall.
    -Not procrastinate as much
    -Try to eat cleaner and more vegan/vegetarian. :3

Gonna make this semester kick *kitten*.
  • Marigenous
    Marigenous Posts: 57
    Options
    -get to bed at a reasonable hour
    -wake up for class
    -STAY AWAKE IN EARLY MORNING LECTURES
    -go to the gym at least four times a week
    -no more exam-time candy binges
  • AggieSigner
    AggieSigner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One thing I did when I took a geography class was I had a study partner. Because the class was on Tuesdays and Thursdays, one of my labmates, that sat at the same table that I did, and I would meet on either Tuesday or Thursday, sometimes both days, like an hour or so before class and we would work on any of the labs that were due, and study for tests when we had one coming up. I hope to find a study partner for one of the classes that I'm taking in the fall.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    1. writing everything I have to do in my organizer.
    1a) do scheduled homework the night it gets assigned, not the day before
    2. Continue to run every morning
    3. Read all required texts, not just skim through and home for the best.
    4. No more cramming. I want to make a 3.5 or higher when I graduate which means I have to work extra hard for the rest of my semesters.
    5. Make new friends, I haven't really made a friend since being in college and those are the friends who last a lifetime! I need to get truckin!

6. Succeed in whatever I set my heart to.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Go to the rec center more often
    Eat nutritious and balanced meals and snacks - no 2nd dinners!
    Drink less alcohol and eat less fast food
    Take yoga classes and spin classes
    Go to bed at a decent hour and wake up early enough to work out and start my day off right!
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1. USE my organizer it shouldn't just sit pretty
    2. Cut out pizza, if I want it I need to exercise for it
    3. Use the gym at least twice a week
    4. Get up early before class
    5. Use the library its not a scary building
    6. Not die inbetween my classes
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    I only have one semester left, but I plan on using my last semester to try to boost my GPA one last time (unfortunately everyone else will have another semester of grades to outpace me in the curve), I'd like to pack lunch every day, and use the gym on campus at least once a week for weights.
  • celloeuse
    celloeuse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hoo boy.
    -Actually study. So begins my upper-level classes so there's no more coasting allowed.
    -Go to either the gym at my residence or on campus. No, really. Do it.
    -Use the planner.
    -Don't use the car. bike to and from school. Saves money and burns off whatever horrible crap I'll be eating in morning rush.
    -Wear sunscreen.
    -Get serious about my future. No more slacking.