Swimming Endurance

mamaclose
mamaclose Posts: 179 Member
I am doing my first sprint triathlon on August 4th, the swim portion is 300 yds in open water. I've been swimming at least twice per week for the past few weeks. I am confident that I can finish this swim length.

However, at the end of September the sprint triathlon I am doing, the swim portion is 0.6 miles, significantly longer! What is the best way to build endurance for swimming? Just to swim more? Like more lengths or certain drills?

Right now I noticed that my legs get tired quickly (which is frustrating because I can run and bike long distances!) and I get out of breath after a few hundred yards.

Suggestions welcome!

Replies

• PeloMichelle
    PeloMichelle Posts: 100 Member
    I'm looking forward to other's answers but I've worked up swimming endurance just through longer lengths/swim sessions. I use drills to build on form and speed. I read somewhere that to really improve (or not lose ground) with your form and swimming fitness level you should be in the pool no less than 3 times per week. Not sure if that might be really tough for you coupled with your running and biking goals, but it sounds beneficial.

Good Luck!!!
  • First some questions...
    What stroke are you using Mama? - Front crawl or Breast stroke?
    Wetsuit or not?
    Do you wear Goggles
    and do you put your face in the water between breaths:happy:
  • mamaclose
    fleaglebeagle: I am doing front crawl, no wetsuit in the pool, yes to wearing goggles and yes I put my face in the water between breaths.

3boysz2keep: I try to get in the pool 3 times per week, but sometimes I run out of time! I could double up and combine bike/run or bike/swim or swim/run to get 3 days of each in per week, which would be ideal.
  • Hi, I'm new to this group , only just found it and glad I have ! :)
    I started swimming only two weeks ago after not swimming for about 2 years , and I decided I was going to swim a mile a day , I built up from 30 lengths , to 48 to 66 (a mile) in the space of three days (this is in a 25m pool) , and I've found the best way to get faster and faster is just by going as often as possible , luckily I'm a student so I'm off for the summer so I can take an hour/two hours out of my day to swim.
    I've gone from swimming a mile ten days ago in about 65 minutes to swimming a mile today in 55 minutes, just keep going and I was once told by a swimming tutor that once you've got the breathing sorted you'll be able to go on and on without stopping !
    Maybe if you live near somewhere in open water you could work out the 0.6mile and see the difference between swimming that distance in that water compared to a pool ?
    Good Luck ! I really hope you do well ! :)
  • Hi Mama

Have competed in long distance lake races from 1mile to 10.5miles in length....(admittedly coming home in the last half of the finishers...) I would suggest :-

Re:What is the best way to build endurance for swimming? Just to swim more? Like more lengths or certain drills?
    When I am building up for any long distance swimming event, I concentrate on distance first. So my approach has historically been swim more and more lengths until I reach 120% of the open water distance in one session. So... in your case, I would have a target of 0.75 miles in the pool for a 0.6mile open water swim.
    (the extra to accommodate for the cold, sighting, unfamilarity, and poor navigation)

Only once I achieved or approached the 0.75 distance in the pool, would I start to work on SPEED drills.

However Technique Drills would be good whilst building distance.... see below.

RE:I noticed that my legs get tired quickly
    I think you make be kicking too hard or too often or both. When swimming front crawl over short distances, its easy to maintain a quick powerful kick. 4-6 kicks per armstroke is a norm.

But kicking quickly and hard on long distance will exhaust you.
    Endurance is all about an efficient stroke.

E.G. Over some years, my long distance pace has transformed into only kicking 2 kicks to every 1 arm pull. And to be honest I am merely fluttering my legs and feet rather than kicking hard. I'm using my legs more for balance in the water than for propulsion.

But you could wreck your stroke if you go for a quick transformation, so I would recommend kicking not as powerfully as you normally do.... to start with.

It could also be that your legs and feet are sinking... For long distance ( and any swimming) your body and legs must be as flat on the water surface as possible (for crawl). Sunken legs are a killer for long distance.

It's often said that swimming is a technical sport - long distance is where this becomes sooooo true.
    For me, technique is all about :-
    Good arm entry into water, stretching out before the "catch"
    Being as flat on the water as possible
    Kicking from the hips, not from the knees
    Floppy-ish ankles.
    Rolling with the armstrokes
    Flutter kicking for long distance
    and great breathing

Therefore I build technique drills into my training... as that is as important as fitness.

Finally, Open Water requries "Sighting"... i.e. a quick look ahead at where you are going.... But that risks dropping your legs and therefore slowing you down.

So when getting close to the event, put in one QUICK peak for every 1 or two lengths in the pool, to get used to maintaining your
    stroke whilst sighting.

And at the end of the race on the day..... sight more regularly if you put a spurt of speed on in the last 100 yards.. as you can easily go off course when worrying about speed more than direction in a frantic finish.

Hope I've not been a bore... and good luck in the races....
    Mail me if you want any more info based on my experiences and keep us all posted with how it went on the big days!
  • P.S.

If you are wearing a wetsuit on the day, watch out for chaffing on the back of the neck, with some wetsuits.
    I'm told some folk apply Aquaglide or some water based lubricant to the back neck to ensure no rubbing.
    (Petroleum based lubricants can wreck a wetsuit over-time apparently)

Apparently you may benefit from additional bouancy in a wetsuit too--- i.e. higher legs :-)
  • I was once told by a swimming tutor that once you've got the breathing sorted you'll be able to go on and on without stopping !

Very true!
    Technique... :-)
  • mamaclose
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU fleaglebeagle! Not a bore at all, very valuable information!

My swim coach is constantly telling me to kick faster and harder, so that may be why my legs are tiring so quickly. I've been watching Terry Laughlin swim and he seems to have more of a 2 beat kick like you're describing.

The breathing is another area I really need to work on! When I started in June, I could do like 3 strokes and then was gasping and out of breath. Now I can comfortable go a few hundred yards without feeling like I am going to die! Patience and practice I suppose.

I won't be using a wetsuit for my tri in August, but am considering getting one for my OWS in late September.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    I agree I will be working on technique to improve my endurance along with swimming 2-3 times a week thru this winter

Connie
  • A great way to increase your endurance is to play with your breathing; ladder-style. Breath every 3rd stroke, every 5th stroke, every 7th stroke, every 5th stroke, every 3rd stroke, every 5th stroke, etc. by 50s.

Above is a bit advanced but, you can play with the numbers... breath every other stroke, every 3rd stroke, every 4th stroke, every 3rd stroke, etc.