My progress...it's not all about the scale! *pics*

Options
LoveLiveLift
LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
Just wanted to share my story. I've been logging into MFP for almost 500 days now. First of all, I want to thank all my friends on here for all their support and encouragement. You guys are amazing and I'm lucky to have you as friends.

I started MFP after seeing pictures of myself from spring break. I had been in school and was slowly gaining weight. I never really noticed until I saw the pictures.

IMG_1141-1-1.jpg

After plugging all my data into MFP, I started focusing on choosing healthier choices and staying within my calorie limits. I began running, and lifting weights occasionally. However, I was more focused on cardio than I was on strength training. I dropped weight quickly, but I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. This usually put me at a net calorie intake of ~1000 cals/ day. I still wasn't happy with my body. I felt better, but didn't look the way I wanted to. I felt "skinny fat", I weighed less than I had for 3 years, but still had a higher body fat percentage. Also, despite all my efforts, I had hit a plateau. I was stuck and I was getting discouraged.

IMG_2587-1-1.jpg

IMG_2588-1.jpg

Around this time, I had started running longer distances, and I decided to train for a half marathon. With all the training I was doing, I realized that I should be fueling my body properly. I upped my calories, but with the big burns, I still continued to net about ~1200 cals/day. Before I ran my half, I met an awesome lady on the forums. (You know who you are :wink:). She encouraged me to up my calories even more and explained that my net was too low and that was probably why I was plateauing. My body was scared to lose anything because I had been essentially starving it. I upped my cals and started eating back enough exercise calories to net my BMR every day. Some days I ended up eating over 2000 calories. However, my runs improved and I started feeling less fatigued. My body was happy for the extra fuel. During that time, I gained 3 lbs, but I felt better than ever. I decided to "throw away" my scale.

524012_722680245897_6603967_34182130_766242388_n-1.jpg

To wrap up, I'm still running, but not frequently. I switched my focus to strength training. I've been training with the New Rules of Lifting for Women book and just recently started Stronglifts 5x5. I still weigh myself occasionally, but I know the scale is a liar. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 145-150. Lately, it's been closer to 150. I work out 5-6 days/week. I usually eat between 1900-2300 calories/day depending on my exercise for the day. I no longer am a slave to cardio...I do a full-body lifting workout 2-3x/week and I take an MMA-styled class at my gym 2x/week for cardio.

photo-3-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

Thanks for reading. I always welcome new friends.

ETA: Sorry the pics are so huge!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! fabulous!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, you look great!
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Congrats! Feel free to add me. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fantastic journey! Thanks for sharing.
  • LoveLiveLift
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. It's so helpful for those of us who are in the beginning stages of our journey!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! GREAT JOB!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    :-) Beckdubs...love it...umm, so I am hoping to get this at success@em2wl.com...please!
  • justjen0117
    Options
    I SO needed to see something like this today! Thanks and congratulations!
  • LoveLiveLift
    Options
    Thanks! It hasn't always been an easy journey...but it's been worth it.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Great job! We sound similar. I used to run and I use to do triathalons and 1/2 marathons. I started New Rules as well and just started phase 2. I haven't run in weeks, but I feel so much stronger. I had to force myself to stop all the cardio. I actually really like lifting now. The book is very structured and guides me, I love that. You look great!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! You should post this in the success stories thread too!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    WOW, you look fabulous!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Well done! Your arm definition looks fabulous!

And you are 9 pounds heavier than your skinny-fat state, but look more fit. THAT is awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so awesome because of the actual weight!! Gads I hope a lot of "starving" people see this post!! Good job, hard work and smarts, lots of smarts, yeehaw!! denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Just wonderful!!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing!!! Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your story with us!
  • Btmartin54
    Btmartin54 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great!!!
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So inspiring!! I hate the scale. It's good to see that somebody who ways more now looks way better than before. Guess muscle does weigh more, but looks so much more better!! :-)

I've gained pounds on the scale, but have noticed my muscles growing! :-) yay!