How much water should I drink a day and why?

Options
Poorgirls_Diet
Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
Drink lots of water! How many times did you hear this when you go and do a search about weight loss tips? Every time, right?

Well here are seven tips on why we should be drinking water.

Benefits of Drinking Water

Water improves your health in many ways. It helps cleanse your body from waste and toxins, and it improves your skin moisture.

It improves the absorption process of vitamins and nutrients. This means better digestion and increased energy levels.

Water is your best friend if you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight. It helps to suppress your hunger. Water is a natural appetite suppressant. This means you can use water to reduce your appetite. Recent study by University of Washington shows that drinking a glass of water reduce nighttime hunger cravings for most of the dieters.

It speeds up your metabolism, so you burn more calories than usual. How does drinking water help you burn calories? Your body needs to metabolize stored fat into energy. Your body metabolism can be slowed by even mild levels of dehydration and with a slower metabolism, you burn less calories and you lose weight slowly. If you drink enough water, your metabolism levels increase and with a higher metabolism you burn more calories than usual.

Drinking water helps you maintain muscle tone which is one important point of your diet plan.

Water helps to prevent the sagging skin which is caused by losing weight. Water plumps the skin cells, giving the skin a younger and healthier look.

During weight loss period, your body may produce lots of waste to get rid of because of all that fat. So water is essential to your health while dieting.

How Much Water To Drink A Day

So now you know why water is so essential for your health and weight loss process. Let’s learn how much water should you drink per day?

General rule says that you should drink at least 8 glasses of pure water every day. This amount may change depending on your medical condition. If you are overweight you should drink 1 glass extra for every 20 pounds you carry because the extra weight creates extra metabolic demand. If you are working out you should add 1 glass for every 20 minutes of your workout routine.

You shouldn’t count sodas and coffee in your liquid consumption. 8 or more glasses of water should come in addition to other beverages you drink.

If you are suffering from headaches, dry skin, dizziness or constipation, you may be dehydrated and you should drink at least 8 glasses of pure water every day.

Replies

• Catie_v2
    Catie_v2 Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks for posting this....I was loving it until I read the "glass for every 20 pounds" or 20 min of exercise line....I feel like I am floating as it is - LOL
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Since giving up caffeine and fizzy drinks I find it so easy to drink at least 10 large glasses of water a day. My skin has never looked so good, or felt so soft. My non-mfp, think I am crazy not drinking coffee anymore, I remind them when i wake on a morning I am wide awake and ready to face to world.
  • gitjigy
    gitjigy Posts: 2
    Options
    I have several friends that are nutritionists and they say to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day. 150lb person should drink 75 ounces of water. I am drinking A LOT of water. :)
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am floating in water too lol.