Terrified to lower cardio

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
So I am a stereotypical 'cardio queen' - I lost my initial 65 pounds by elliptical-ing, running, or pedaling away for hours a week. No strength training, because in my head 20 minutes of cardio burns waaaay more than 20 minutes of lifting. I would do circuits of some of the weight machines at the gym and felt like I was wasting time when I could have been running, etc.

Fast forward to now - after maintaining on 1500 cals and not eating back exercise cals for almost a year, I started increasing exercise and having binging episodes. I steadily went from 138 up to 147 from January to April of this year. This was likely due to the awful cycle - binge, overexercise, undereat, binge, overexercise, etc. In May, I got an iPhone and downloaded the MFP app. I was 148 with a goal of 145. MFP gave me a net calorie goal of 1620, so I'd eat that plus my exercise calories, putting me at between 2200-2400 a day (which, looking back, is near my cut value). Doing this, I gained 7 pounds. I started reset on June 10 at 154 pounds, the highest weight I've seen since losing my weight (I started in 2010 at 205 pounds. I'm 5'10, so my height is 'forgiving' - but not that forgiving.) I should also add that I don't have a fitbit or anything like that. I go primarily by what the machines claim I burn. I know it's likely an overestimate, but I was so hungry I would end up eating everything the machine said I burned back - which also could have played into my 7 pound gain... not sure.

I am entering my final week of reset starting this Sunday. I currently am eating at the strenuous activity level, doing 5 65-minute cardio sessions a week. And I. Hate. It. I dread each and every workout. Earlier this year I'd do this daily and never took rest days and now I plan rest days out a week in advance. I don't know if it's because I feel so fat and bloated or what, but it's unmotivating and, frankly, I'm not working out for the right reasons anymore. This week I ate a little under TDEE a few days and I could FEEL it - I was exhausted, practically lethargic. This makes me terrified of cutting because the purpose of a cut is to cut cals down. I don't think I could handle cutting with my current exercise regime.

I want to do two things: I want to lower to the moderate activity level of 3-5 hours and I want to start incorporating strength training. I have the NROLFW book but am a little intimidated by it. I was thinking of lowering my cardio sessions and starting Jillian's 30 day shred, or possibly looking at some of the Bodyrock youtube videos (I'd rather start strength training at home than in the gym since I've never done it before). I just know myself, and I know that if I do 30DS, even though it's 20 minutes of exercise, I'll be afraid to 'count' it, because the calorie burn won't be anywhere near as high as what I could burn on the elliptical or arc trainer. But 30DS 'counts', right? Or Bodyrock counts? I haven't weighed myself at all throughout reset because I'm not mentally ready to see a gain on the scale, but I know I've gained - my clothes don't fit right - so to lower my cardio seems so counterproductive. I'm also worried that I won't do the videos right and it won't be productive or show results.

Does anyone do 30DS or Bodyrock? Does what I'm saying make sense - or am I doomed to 65 minute cardio sessions 5x a week??

Replies

• seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    oh my goodness honey!!! you talked about "wasting time" and I will tell you right now you ARE wasting time doing 65 minutes of cardio...NOT the other way around!!! =) STOP doing that!! hehe...=) YES, 30day shred counts, YES weight lifting doesn't "feel " like as good of a burn but it DOES burn calories and the muscle you're gaining will burn more calories throughout your day! I was very pleasantly surprised when I started to cut out some of my excessive cardio ( and I was NEVER doing 65 minutes at a time) that I could still feel amazing after a good/hard/heavy weight lifting session and a quick 20 minutes burst of cardio on either the bike, climber, treadmill, etc. 65 minutes is completely and totally uncessary....ESPCIALLY if you hate it!!!! I promise you....stop! =)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I was you and I loved cardio! During reset not only was I having trouble with it mentally I had lots of personal stress. My runs just were no fun, I didn't feel great after and they were not helping my stress like they once did.

I lowered to moderate and cut out my running. The only cardio I do is walking and then I lift 3xs a week. I freaking love it! Plus, last week on my last week of reset I also took a workout rest and can't believe how much I enjoyed that, very un-me!

I use this at home:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html?page=2

30DS is basically cardio. I have done it many times and even thought I used 10lb weights, using the 25lbs with the above mentioned site I have seen much better results. This weekend I am buying 10lb plates!

It was weird for me not to always doing cardio at first but its been such a relief. I will still run the Bix7 this weekend but since I haven't been practicing my time won't be great but thats ok.

Maybe eventually I will incorporate HIIT again when I need to change things up. For now though I am enjoying myself! I remind myself that last time I was at my goal weight, I got there with absolutely no deliberate exercise. Not on purpose, I had went through a super busy time and I spent my free time playing with my kids instead of working out and then I would clean the house after they went to bed since my time with them was limited.

Its so nice to have more time to do other things around the house that I always put off for work outs and I now have time to get back into taking some yoga classes. I used to do yoga quite a bit but it eventually had to go since it did n't give me that calorie burn. Now I can go back and just enjoy it, not worry about the calorie burn and finally try Hot Yoga!
  • bethad5
    Options
    oh my goodness honey!!! you talked about "wasting time" and I will tell you right now you ARE wasting time doing 65 minutes of cardio...NOT the other way around!!! =) STOP doing that!! hehe...=) YES, 30day shred counts, YES weight lifting doesn't "feel " like as good of a burn but it DOES burn calories and the muscle you're gaining will burn more calories throughout your day! I was very pleasantly surprised when I started to cut out some of my excessive cardio ( and I was NEVER doing 65 minutes at a time) that I could still feel amazing after a good/hard/heavy weight lifting session and a quick 20 minutes burst of cardio on either the bike, climber, treadmill, etc. 65 minutes is completely and totally uncessary....ESPCIALLY if you hate it!!!! I promise you....stop! =)

do you do NROLFW? i have the book but i'm afraid to start it - completely intimidated by it, to be honest, and afraid i won't do it right. so are you at the moderate level, lifting and then short bouts of cardio?
  • bethad5
    Options
    I was you and I loved cardio! During reset not only was I having trouble with it mentally I had lots of personal stress. My runs just were no fun, I didn't feel great after and they were not helping my stress like they once did.

I lowered to moderate and cut out my running. The only cardio I do is walking and then I lift 3xs a week. I freaking love it! Plus, last week on my last week of reset I also took a workout rest and can't believe how much I enjoyed that, very un-me!

I use this at home:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html?page=2

30DS is basically cardio. I have done it many times and even thought I used 10lb weights, using the 25lbs with the above mentioned site I have seen much better results. This weekend I am buying 10lb plates!

It was weird for me not to always doing cardio at first but its been such a relief. I will still run the Bix7 this weekend but since I haven't been practicing my time won't be great but thats ok.

Maybe eventually I will incorporate HIIT again when I need to change things up. For now though I am enjoying myself! I remind myself that last time I was at my goal weight, I got there with absolutely no deliberate exercise. Not on purpose, I had went through a super busy time and I spent my free time playing with my kids instead of working out and then I would clean the house after they went to bed since my time with them was limited.

Its so nice to have more time to do other things around the house that I always put off for work outs and I now have time to get back into taking some yoga classes. I used to do yoga quite a bit but it eventually had to go since it did n't give me that calorie burn. Now I can go back and just enjoy it, not worry about the calorie burn and finally try Hot Yoga!

man, i didn't know 30DS was cardio. i have 5 pound weights and my boyfriend has 20 pound weights. i can barely lift his weights to move them let alone work out with them, but i feel like only using 5 pounds will be worthless...

that site looks interesting. i'm with you, i'm also doing the Bix saturday and am 100% completely dreading it. i had a nightmare about it last night. i'm type 1 diabetic so it's hard enough controlling my blood sugar for my usual workouts. the bix is going to take me way longer than 65 minutes and with being outside/humidity/ahhhhh. i tried to back out of doing it but i'm running with my aunt who is currently riding RAGBRAI - she basically said i had no excuse not to do the bix since she's riding her bike across the STATE through today... i guess she has a point haha.

how long do the workouts on this site last? you're in the moderate category, right?

edit to ask: TripleJ, did you take a complete rest week from workouts your last week of reset? i'll be in the QC all next week (which is also my last week of reset) so won't have gym access... if some of the bodyrock videos don't require equipment, i could do those at my parent's house, but otherwise i'm probably SOL.. is it really okay to not exercise at all but still eat TDEE? i'm still torn between eating TDEE for strenuous or TDEE for moderate, but that's a whole other dilemma. can you tell i overanalyze and freak out about everything?
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Well we could've done the Bix together but I doubt I will keep up with your Aunt. Plus I have even thought about an out...If I am feeling crappy and don't feel I have it in me to run/walk the whole thing I know there are bathrooms along the way I can stop at then just go back the other way :blushing: I know thats cheating and I am not even sure I would do it, but its not like there is a prize at the end or my time means anything to anyone other than me. Its just nice to know that if its too hot/too much I have an out which just makes me feel better about it.

It takes me about 30 min to do those workouts. I do have to rest in between so its not a constant 30 min of lifting. You definitely need weights and the heavier the better. Starting with your boyfriends 20 would be perfect. I suppose you could run through the routine with lower weights at your parents just to get a feel and practice the moves. And I am in the moderate. I do walk for about an hour 6-7 days a week but I don't feel its strenuous. I do feel I am on the high end of moderate so if I am really hungry or go over I feel like that gives me wiggle room verses if I was in strenuous, I would be in the low end and have to be really careful. and no matter what my goal or limit, I always go over!

Yes, its recommended to do a full rest at TDEE. One week shouldn't make much of an impact and your body will thank you. I am just into cut so I am going to see what my results are but I think I will do a full week of rest at TDEE every 6 weeks. I was still active. I went for a bike ride with the kiddos one day, I did lots of weeding that I had been putting off and I went for a few walks. My plan was to walk and do yoga but I was loving the freedom of it being okay to not exercise that I never did do any yoga and didn't walk everyday. It really showed me how much time I had been wasting with all those workouts and how much I was missing out on other things.

And since you are diabetic make sure you have Whitey's give you two popsicles, for your blood sugar and all :wink:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am on stage 4 of NROLFW and love it! It seems intimidating at first but once you get those first few workouts in you'll feel like you belong there (with the weights).
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do the NR program. Join the group. Ask questions. DON'T let it intimidate you. :) We were all beginners once.

I am struggling with dropping cardio, because that's what helped me lose most of my weight. It isn't helping me lose the last bit of weight. LOL

Lift heavy, build up lean muscle mass and eat to fuel your body and you will be fine! :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I did not lift heavy prior starting EM2WL. I too was a cardio queen. But I have reduced it and now I love the weight lifting.
    In the beginning I too thought it was a waste of time but not any more.
    If you don't like toil fin the gym, why don't you get a home workout programme like CLX or P90X.
    You will feel a lot better dropping some cardio, especially if you hate it anyways.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    65 minutes of cardio... that is way too long, dont even think I have enough songs on my shuffle to keep me from going crazy.. If you only have 2 sets of weights (5/20) and 5's are too light, maybe you look at getting an adjustable set, or possibly bands.. Bands are a great alternative and they give a good workout (I am a guy and yes.. I use bands at home..)
    I would definitely recommend trying one of the programs mentioned in this thread, your body may have gotten pretty used to your 65 minute cardio bouts that its time to switch to something else and get your body out of the rhythm.. Lifting weights may seem strange at first, but keep with it, its just as valuable as cardio.

One other thing, I strongly suggest you stop using the cardio equipment to tell you what your calorie burn is, those are usually overestimating your burn.. pick a TDEE+cut number and eat that, and dont worry about the numbers on the machines.
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters who moved to stenght training and short cardio (20 min) sessions. After feeling like you did, I have moved to this and feel much better and stronger.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Stop the cardio. It is way too much and obviously your body think it is the new normal.

Stop being intimidated and do NROL4W....I do not know a single person that regretted trying it. Really what you are doing right now is not working for you!!!!! Try something else.
  • katnohat
    katnohat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about using the 5-lb weights with 30DS. There are a ton of reps and I can guaruntee that if you are not used to strength training, even the 5-lb weights might be too much. (I myself had to use 3lb weights for some of the exercises....)
  • bethad5
    Options
    so if I do NROLFW is that the light activity or moderate level?

& no, i'm not eating back exercise cals anymore - i gained 6 pounds while doing that when i was doing MFP's method, then found this group, calculated my TDEE, and eat that now. not sure how much i've gained since starting the reset, but today is not a good day to ask - tried on some clothes that don't fit anymore, and just overall feeling pretty down :(

i work my butt off on the cardio machines but i take my nook, too. i've read almost 70 books this year and that's mainly because the only time i can justify reading for fun is while working out (i'm in grad school, so i do a lot of other reading, too... but never let myself read 'for fun' unless i'm at the gym and killing 2 birds with one stone). that's how i've gotten up to 65 minutes at a time, because i can get through a lot of a book in that time period!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump