Fasting Day FD recipe ideas LUNCH and DINNER

Foamroller
Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Fellow 5:2'ers!

This is the LUNCH and DINNER thread.
If you have a snack or other idea, please go here:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10003948/fasting-day-fd-recipe-ideas-snacks-and-other

We all have our quirks and tastes concerning foods. Staying within the 500-600 kcal limit on fast days can be hard. If you have a recipe you think others maybe would enjoy too, please feel free to post it here.

To make the recipe suggestions easy for anyone to follow or adjust, I suggest posting a complete recipe including the following:
- Total kcal count
- kcal count /serving
- preparation instructions
- a complete list of ingredients with amount including kcal number for EACH ingredient...OR
- a picture of the ingredients list (take a screenshot of the recipe you made in MFP)
- a picture of your lovely recipe if possible.

It might seem over the board to ask for complete ingredients list. But people have allergies or dislikes or whatever reason for not wanting to include an ingredient. It's much easier to adjust and change a recipe when you have a list of the ingredients with kcal number.

If you're running out of ideas on what to eat on FD, join Pinterest. Search for 5:2 and you will get recipes until your heads spin. I'm on there as Foamroller, if someone wants to add me there too for even easier recipe share.

Bon appetit:)

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    This is what we had for dinner last night.

Pizza!

(I shop at Aldi's so a lot of this is their brand)

Fit and Active flatbread 90 calories
    1/4 cup great value pizza sauce 30 calories
    1/2 Fit and Active sweet italian sausage 90 calories
    1/4 cup Fit and Active Mexican Blend Cheese 90 calories
    .15 cup red onion 10 calories
    .15 large green bell pepper 5 calories
    .15 cup spinach 2 calories

317 calories total | 25 g carbs | 28 g protein | 10 g fiber | 15 g fat

We're kind of stuck on snacks. Outside of just fruits and veggies that is
  • Foamroller
    edited October 2014
    MIRACLE NOODLES can replace pasta :D

Well, it's not the same. But for those who crave pasta, but can't eat it on FD or are gluten intolerant, like me Miracle noodles is the answer! It has about 7 kcal/100 g and 3 g fiber too:D

I just tried 114 g shirataki noodles with kimchi and a soup base: 130 kcal.
    Shirataki noodles is roughly 97% water and 3 % fiber.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try the spinach miracle noodles I bought from iHerb with a lovely carbonara sauce!

Here's an old thread about it: "Let's talk about shirataki noodles"
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/536767

And here's a couple of links if you're interested:
    http://skinnywithfiber.org/shirataki-noodles-with-zero-calories-awesome-or-not/
    http://www.naturalnews.com/review_400032_miracle_noodle_glucomannan_konjac.html
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Books that I find good on FDs are the Hairy Dieters cook book, and Gok's Wok. All the recipes are calorie counted and very easy.

Last night I made steamed pork dumplings - lean minced pork mixed with ginger, garlic, spring onion and soy sauce. Roll into small balls, wrap in the green part of Chinese cabbage leaves, and steam. Around 40 cals per piece.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Books that I find good on FDs are the Hairy Dieters cook book, and Gok's Wok. All the recipes are calorie counted and very easy.

Last night I made steamed pork dumplings - lean minced pork mixed with ginger, garlic, spring onion and soy sauce. Roll into small balls, wrap in the green part of Chinese cabbage leaves, and steam. Around 40 cals per piece.
    Every time someone mentions dumplings or won-tons I get the shakes...yum! Are you using wraps or doing them straight up in the cabbage leaves? I need to try that.

I was steaming my potstickers (in wraps) in the beginning, but I've gotten my technique down when doing it in a skillet so that it only adds ~2 cal per. I usually do 48 at a time (the # of wraps in a pack), so for each 16 (x3=48) I use just 1 tsp of peanut oil on low heat. I keep moving/shaking the skillet, sort of like popcorn the old way...I don't let them sit for more than 30 seconds or they will stick and burn. Once they are nice and brown on the bottom (about 5 minutes) I add 1/3 cup of fat free chicken broth (water would be ok too), put a lid on them and let them steam until the broth is gone, but still while shaking the skillet. There's always a little oil left in the end...I just wipe the pan and start again for the next 16. I love the added crunch.

• Foamroller
    Now I want potstickers too! ...think I have some wrappers in the freezer. Great tips melanie and orlcam:)
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member

YUMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Just the cabbage leaves, no other wrappings. They worked well, and were even nice cold for next days lunch. I may experiment with other lettuce and cabbage type leaves.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Original Thread: Enjoy Yourself While Fasting: Recipes and Suggestions
    Author: @orlcam

August 22, 2014 3:19 AM

Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to good (tasting) eats. Specifically, recipes and suggestions that you can use to make your fasting days not just bearable but down right enjoyable. Anyone can contribute, if you have something to share like a recipe feel free (please). We can bat ideas back and forth and let each other know how their creations fared in our kitchens.

Everything doesn't have to be restaurant quality (although I've eaten some pretty bad stuff at many eateries). If you're going to take out some calories (namely fats/oils, wheat and sugars) then the taste and/or feel is going to change. What I strive for when coming up with a low(er) calorie dish is to balance that out by supplementing/changing the ingredients and rations to keep each bite full of flavor. Some cuisines lend themselves to these alterations better than others; mostly those with strong flavor profiles like Indian/Thai (think curries) and Mexican/South Western (think chilies and peppers).

Many of us have stocked up on some of the low-cal staples already, but here's one thing that you can probably do immediately (or with a 15 minute walk through your local market):

Fajitas or tacos: corn taco shells in the box (like taco bell and old el'paso brands) are just 50 calories a piece, if you can find the thin corn tortillas that'll drop the cals to 40 per (my local Walmart had them). Forget the beef, go with about a 1/4 to 1/2 lb of chicken breast, shrimp, or even fish (what you never had a fish taco?)...talapia is good. Get a can of Pam butter spray(it really cuts your oil/butter usage back), spray a skillet and saute your protein along with some onions...I cook them until they caramelize. Use a half pack (or make your own with no sugar) of taco or fajita seasoning, add it with a little water or 99% fat free chicken broth. Old El' Paso taco seasoning is 90 cals for a whole pack (one of the lowest). Reduce and spoon it on toasted tortillas or tacos. Add salsa, some skim or 2% cheddar cheese, lettuce, light sour cream and some avocado, also maybe some black beans. Depending on what you use and how you proportion it you should be able to eat 3 or 4 of these bad boys while keeping the meal under 500 calories.

Don't worry, on future recipes I'll be more specific and give portion sizes, the brands I used, calorie counts and possible ingredient alternatives. I just wanted everyone to see that you can easily take an everyday recipe and manipulate it into something that's low in calories while still providing satisfaction (tummy fullness) and flavor.

Things you're going to need to cook low-cal (in my opinion):
    • Pam Spray (I have both the olive-oil and butter), 7 to 9 cals for a 1 second spray
    • I can't believe it's not butter Lite (less than half the cals of butter), but I use butter too
    • No Fat Greek Yogurt
    • Mushrooms/Eggplant/Lentils/Beans (anything you like that can partially substitute beef/chicken)
    • Pure Stevia (this may be too radical for some, but I've made my peace with it)

Switches/swaps you'll need to make (just for cooking):
    • from Whole Milk to 2%/1% or Skim or Almond
    • from Whole Cheeses to 2% or Skim Cheeses
    • from Regular Sour Cream to Light Sour Cream
    • from Regular Cream Cheese to Light and/or No Fat
    • from White Bread to Lo-Carb Flat Breads/Wraps or Multi-Grain Breads
    • from Chicken Broth to 99% Fat Free Chicken Broth

Other helpful hints:
    • If the recipe is low heat and calls for butter use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light instead.
    • In place of heavy/whipping cream you may be able to use skim/almond milk & a tbsp(or 2) of light sour cream.
    • For a graham cracker crust, cut the crackers down and use Multi-Grain Cheerios (to taste).
    • If a recipe calls for lots of eggs, use half whole eggs and the other half in egg whites (x2).
    • Need lots of melted cheddar? Get Cabot light sharp cheddar, melt it, and mix in light sour cream or non fat yogurt.
    • For ground beef (not burgers) you need to cook it well, drain and rinse with hot water (gets a big calorie reduction).

If you feel you have to have a certain flavor in your recipe then use the ingredient, just use less of it, and if there's another option that has that same flavor, but stronger, then use it instead. One example would be in a sauce (like BBQ) that might use honey or brown sugar...both have that sweet earthy smell to them. Well raw molasses (in my opinion) is even stronger, and since they all carry the same number of calories (roughly) I would use as little molasses as possible to bring that flavor through and add Stevia to compensate. BUT...if a recipe just can't be morphed into an edible low-cal dish, remember, you can just hold out for 36 hours and enjoy it tomorrow.

Hope this helps someone...recipes to follow.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014

August 22, 2014 4:55 AM

Here's an easy one:

Flatbread Pizza (1 serving, 441 calories)
    • 1 flatbread, Flatout Garden Spinach (130 cal)
    • 2 one second sprays, Pam Cooking Spray - Olive Oil (14 cal)
    • 1/2 cup, Ragu Pizza Sauce Homemade Style (60 cal)
    • 12 slices, Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (49 cal)
    • 2 slices, Land O Frost Premium Old Fashioned Cooked Ham (30 cal)
    • 1/4 cup, sliced Mushrooms - Raw (4 cal)
    • 1 tbsp, Small Sliced Black Olives (13 cal)
    • 1/3 cup, Best Choice Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese (107 cal)
    • 1 oz, Rouses (local brand) Fat Free Feta Cheese (35 cal)
    Directions: Heat your oven to 375. Spray each side of your flat bread with the cooking spray. Place in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes (until it stiffens), remove and cover with pizza sauce. Add mozzarella then other ingredients, adding feta cheese last. Put back in the oven and cook for about 5 minutes or until desired doneness.

Options: Flatout has a number of different options (you can google them) including thin crust flatbreads that are made specifically for doing pizzas (120 cal) and also a light version flatbread (only 90 cal), but my local grocer only had the standard, garden spinach and italian herb (I bought 1 each of the last two). With pizza you can do anything, so you can easily reduce that calorie count by changing up the ingredients...do a Hawaiian Chicken (with pineapple), or a cheeseburger or taco pizza, etc. I actually made my own pizza sauce (with Stevia and crushed tomatoes...see below) that is about 2/3rds the calories, so that gets me 20 cal lower to start.

If you can't find the flatbreads you could try cutting open a pita (for 2 thin crust pitas) or even the low-carb wheat tortillas, but these flatbreads are thicker and better (imo) for making pizzas.

Enjoy

Homemade Pizza Sauce (makes about 3 cups, 86 calories per cup)
    • 1 can 28 oz, Contadina San Marzano Style Crushed With Tomato Puree (195 cal)
    • 1 tsp, Morton Kosher Salt (0 cal)
    • 2 tsp, Mccormick's Dry Italian Seasoning (0 cal)
    • 1 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black (5 cal)
    • 1/2 cup, Onion Raw Chopped (34 cal)
    • 1 tbsp, Garlic - Raw (13 cal)
    • 1 tbsp, Ariston Balsamic Vinegar (10 cal)
    • Stevia to taste
    Directions: add all ingredients (except for the Stevia), bring to a boil, turn to low and simmer for 1 hour. Pour into a blender and add water to increase to 3 cups, puree until smooth. Add Stevia to taste. Will keep in the refrigerator for a week or two.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Author: @thecarbmonster

August 22, 2014 7:12 AM

I'm pretty lazy, so here's some of my meals lately:

English Muffin Pizzas
    • Light English Muffin- 100 cals
    • Pizza Sauce- 30 cals
    • Mozzarella Cheese- ~100 cals

Easy to add pepperonis or veggies to add variety as well!

I make mine in a toaster oven. Could be done in a normal oven as well.

Toast plain muffin (both sides)
    Add pizza sauce and allow to heat up under toast or broil setting
    Add cheese and allow to get bubbly under broil setting
  • orlcam

August 22, 2014 3:39 PM

QUOTE @angela233Z:
    I am curious - how is the Chabot light sharp cheddar? i love cheddar - but not the calories.

If I had the choice of "normal" cheddar and Cabot extra light I choose normal...I love cheddar too, I have a great baked macaroni recipe that's my boarding pass for all family events. It was also the 2nd most ordered side in my restaurant behind the curly fries (kids love them some curly fries). I'm resigned to the fact that if I want good mac-n-cheese then it will have to be on non-fasting days.

I think the cabot is actually better when melted and mixed with light sour cream, if you absolutely need a lot but don't want the calories (it is 60 cal per oz as apposed to kraft normal sharp at 120...big reduction). Warning it is hard, meaning hard to melt, cutting it into small pieces or pulsing it through your food processor helps.

Other ideas if you you are looking to bring out a sharp flavor in dishes that call for cheddar:
    dill weed, fresh or dry (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dry is plenty to add zing)
    a tbsp or 2 of stone ground/creole mustard, I prefer Zatarain's
    in place of just milk use half milk and half light sour cream
    bleu cheese, about 1/2 an oz per lb of cheddar (people say "hmm" but can't put their finger on it)
    Don't add so much of these that they overpower the dish, but just enough to get the taste buds jumping.

Oh yeah, and liquid smoke...a dash or two can help emulate a smoked cheese flavor.
  • orlcam
    Author: @hteepeg

August 22, 2014 8:03 PM

These are great ideas. I am making my grocery list for tomorrow this evening and will add some of these to the list. Some of the things that I like on fast days are:

- Won ton soup (the broth is only chicken broth with a couple of drops of sesame oil and you can make the won tons with whatever filling you enjoy)
    - Steak and mushroom saute. I like to saute mushrooms and add leftover sirloin or ribeye in chunks. I can eat two or three small pieces of steak with a cup of sauteed mushrooms and feel like I am having a satisfying meal. My favorite seasoning sauce is Soy Vay but I like a lot of asian flavors.
    - I go to my favorite pho place and order a small chicken pho bowl. I add all my favorites except the noodles and chicken which I save for the next day. I can only get through half the broth anyway, so a good flavorful broth with bean sprouts, jalapeno, basil, and lime can really hit the spot and not even miss the noodles and chicken.

I do a lot of soups because I work in a cold office. The soup keeps me warm and full through my afternoon.

Good luck!
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014

August 22, 2014 11:01 PM

I've only been fasting 3 weeks but this is probably my favorite dish on fast days. Spicy, fragrant, curry...the trick here is to run away from the heavy cream and ghee (clarified butter). We can get by with just a little butter and Pam spray for searing the onions and chicken, but we get some of that lost creaminess back into the dish by adding light sour cream and almond milk. I use Deep South curry powder (mostly because it comes in a huge container for $7), but grab any one you think you'll like.

Chicken Tikka Masala (curry) with Mushrooms
    (only 788 calories for a 2.5 lb dish, divided into 4 10 oz servings it's just 197 calories per)

Ingredients:
    • 1 second spray, Pam Butter Flavor (9 calories)
    • 1/2 tbsp, Deep South Curry powder (10)
    • 1 lb, Tyson All Natural Chicken Breast Tenderloins cubed (400)
    • 1/2 tbsp, Land O'Lakes Unsalted Butter (50)
    • 1/2 medium (2-1/2" dia), Onion - chopped (23)
    • 1 lb, Mushrooms sliced - Raw (100)
    • 1 tbsp(s), Christopher Ranch Minced Organic Garlic (15)
    • 1 can, Contadina Tomato Sauce 8 oz (53)
    • 1 tbsp, Daisy Sour Cream - Light (20)
    • 3 tbsp, Great Value Greek Yogurt Fat Free (23)
    • 1/2 cup, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk (15) as needed
    • 1 tbsp, Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar (0)
    • 1 tbsp, Deep South Curry powder (21)
    • 2 tsp, Ground Cumin (15)
    • 1/2 tbsp, Black Pepper (Ground) (8)
    • 1 tsp, Morton Salt - Coarse Kosher (0)
    • 1 tsp, Spices - Ginger, ground (6)
    • 1/2 tsp, Spices - Pepper, red/cayenne (3) to taste
    • 1 tsp, Spices - Cinnamon, ground (6)
    • 2 tsp, Spices - Paprika (13)
    • 1 packet, Great Value Stevia Zero Calorie Sweetener (0) to taste
    Directions: You should take the time to measure out all of the spices (everything after the vinegar except the Stevia) and place them in a bowl to the side. When the process gets going it happens pretty quickly. Heat a skillet and spray with Pam, toss in your chicken breast (in 1 to 2 inch cubes), sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp of curry powder and sear (still pink on inside)...then set aside on a plate. Add the butter to your now empty skillet, once melted toss in your onions. When they start to caramelize toss in the mushrooms and garlic, constantly stir until the moisture starts to release from the mushrooms (3 or 4 minutes). Add the rest of your ingredients (except the Stevia) and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, add the seared chicken and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Add more almond milk (or chicken broth) if the mixture starts to thicken too much (I like it thick, about the consistency of refrigerated pancake syrup). Remove from heat and add Stevia to taste.

Options: I eat it just like that, with the mushrooms you don't really need another filler. However, feel free to add whatever your diet allows...noodles, rice, pita bread, etc. You can change this up and add many different proteins like shrimp, fish, beef, lamb, pork, tofu or other vegetables like eggplant, portobello, pumpkin. Also there are many types of curries, you can try adding more vinegar or coconut milk, it's really up to you and your taste buds.
  • orlcam
    Author: @hteepeg

August 23, 2014 4:49 PM

Won-Tons
    I haven't seen pre-made wontons, but my mom made them as appetizers my entire life. They are a comfort food for me! Here's how I make them:

Ingredients:
    • - Won ton wrappers
    • - Lean ground beef or reduced fat sausage (you could also use chicken or ground turkey if you like)
    • - Diced veggies to your liking (I use the ones below)
    • - Green peppers and onions (already diced and frozen from either Birds Eye or Kroger freezer section)
    • - A can of water chestnuts diced into small pieces (these give it a great crunch/texture)
    • - A can of bamboo shoots or mushrooms but usually not both
    • - Low sodium soy sauce (to taste)
    • - Grated ginger (also from the tube at Kroger or King Soopers)
    • - Grated garlic (fresh or from the tube)
    • - A little bit of water to "glue" the wrappers shut

How to prepare:
    • - Brown the meat
    • - Remove from heat and put in a bowl
    • - In the same pan, saute the veggies to your liking (firm or mushy - all preference)
    • - Remove from heat and add to the bowl with the meat
    • - Add soy sauce, ginger, garlic and mix (or you can add them all in the pan but I like to do it in a bowl so I can taste the mix and not over season)
    • - Let it cool a little
    • - Make a 3x3 square grid of wrappers on your counter or workspace
    • - Put a small tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper (the less wet your filling, the better)
    • - Pick up the wrapper and use your finger like a brush to wet 2 of the 4 edges of the square (I keep room temp water in a teacup for this step)
    • - Fold the wrapper into a triangle and pinch the edges to seal
    • - If you want to get fancy you can youtube videos on how to make tortellini or different "packets" for won tons
    • - I like mine to look like an envelope so once it is in a triangle, I wet 2 of the 3 corners and pinch them once over the other like a ring around my finger. It turns into what looks like an open envelope.

Depending on the size of your batch, I do the following:
    • 1 - Freeze some of them on a sheet tray and then load up into bags
    • 2 - Bake them on a cookie sheet until the edges are brown and then use a generic teriyaki or sweet and sour sauce for dipping
    • 3 - Make won ton soup broth and boil them in the broth for 5-10 minutes until wrapper has the texture that I want

Note: You could also use this filling for lettuce wraps!
  • orlcam

August 23, 2014 10:23 PM

QUOTE: @hteepeg
    I haven't seen pre-made wontons, but my mom made them as appetizers my entire life. They are a comfort food for me!

See what you made me do!? I got "won-ton" fever today...I wound up going crazy in the kitchen. I made about 50 potstickers and ate half of them <grin>...and I made cheesecake and ate 2 and 1/2 pieces...and I light fried some won-ton wrappers and ate them with some broth. Plus I had 2 servings of enchilada casserole with sour cream and guac for lunch. Can you say "bleh"? Man I'm stuffed, but it's ok, I still came in at about 70% of my TDEE.

Yeah, I don't think I'll post my potsticker stuffing, you've got a good recipe there already. I used a lot of the stuff you have listed, but made mine with pork loin and shrimp, plus cabbage, mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onion, fresh ginger, apple sauce, garlic and different seasonings/sauces. I think next time I need to get more water out (as you mentioned) of my cabbage and add another egg white and it'll be pretty good.

The main ways to make these types of dishes low-cal is: 1) go with egg whites vs whole eggs if the recipe calls for it, 2) use a low cal sauce as an alternative (like Walmart's low sodium soy...only 5 cal per tbsp, I also use fish sauce sparingly instead of oyster sauce.) 3) get creative with your oils (when frying my potstickers I did it in 3 batches and only used 1 tsp per, plus about half of that oil was still left in the pan which I wiped out before starting each new batch.) 4) say "no" to syrups and sugars, replace with Stevia or others low-cal sweeteners. If you need something thick try unsweetened applesauce and add some Stevia to it or use a little corn starch (which will need to be heated).

For the potsticker sauce I tried to emulate my favorite local Chinese takeout's, but their stuff is thick. They must use a simple syrup/corn syrup to get that consistency, the stuff is YUM, but BAD for you.

Strictly speaking this is a potsticker/dumpling sauce but I use it for eggrolls, crab rangoon, cho cho, shrimp toast, basically anything fried or with a wrap...I even put it on my lo mein.

Dipping Sauce (Total: yield 1/3 cup at 91 calories, or 6 tbsp at 15 cal per):
    • - 3 tbsp Great Value Low Sodium Soy Sauce (15 cal)
    • - 2 tbsp Nakano Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar (40 cal)
    • - 1/2 tsp Kikkoman Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (3 cal) to taste
    • - 1/2 tsp Maggi Fish Sauce (2 cal)
    • - 1/2 tsp Imperial Dragon Toasted Sesame Oil (22 cal)
    • - 1/4 tsp Garlic Juice (I get it from my jar of minced) (4 cal?)
    • - 1 stalk Green Onion sliced (5 cal)
    • - 2 packets Great Value Stevia (0 cal) to taste

Just mix everything together. I like it sweet, but you may want to cut back the Stevia. Fish Sauce is something not everyone likes, but I do. This should be enough to do 50 potstickers and beyond, I would use this amount over 3 or 4 Chinese meals.

Ok, my won-ton demon has been exorcised...for now.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014

August 25, 2014 8:17 AM

Enchilada Casserole:
    (Yield: about ~5.5 lbs at 2780 calories, or 8 11 oz servings at 348 cal per)

A good spicy dish, great for low-calorie conversion. The trick is to cook the ground meat well, drain, and rinse thoroughly with hot water. I did a test and weighed the 1 lb of raw ground meat after, it had reduced to 11 oz and was still a little wet. This means that if all 5 oz of what was removed was 100% fat then the calories had dropped by 1269. This would be impossible even if the package was mislabeled and I got 73/27 beef instead of (80/20). A lot of that is moisture, but even if we figure 50% of that is fat then we're going from ~1500 calories to under 900, nice! Others have crunched the numbers, so I used one of their upper middle of the road values, putting us at ~700 calories for 1lb of 80/20 after rinsing. Also by using thin tortillas, cutting them into 1" strips and laying them crosshatch in the dish we reduced total calories by another ~200.

Ingredients:
    • - 1 lb, Ground Beef, 80/20 Drained/rinsed (693 calories)
    • - 1 lb, Tyson All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenderloins (400)
    • - 1 pack, Old El'Paso Original Taco Seasoning Mix (90)
    • - 3 seconds spray, Pam Butter Flavor Spray as needed (24)
    • - 1 15 oz can, great Value Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn drained (210)
    • - 1 medium (2-1/2" dia), Onions - Raw, chopped (46)
    • - 1 28 oz can, Contadina San Marzano Style Crushed W/Tomato Puree (195)
    • - 1 can, Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (63)
    • - 1 tbsp, Spices - Pepper, black (16) to taste
    • - 2 tsp, Salt - Coarse Kosher (0) to taste
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Ground Cumin (11)
    • - 1 tbsp, Spices - Dark Chili powder (24)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Ground Ancho Chili Pepper (4) to taste
    • - 1 tbsp, Minced Garlic - Raw (13)
    • - 10, Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas - Extra Thin, cut in to 1 inch strips (400)
    • - 2.25 cup, Best Choice 2% Fancy Shredded Mexican Style Cheese (541)
    • - 2 tbsp, Course Corn flour - Masa (52)
    Directions:
    In a 4+ qt pot brown ground meat, cook well, drain, rinse with hot water, set aside. Spray pot with Pam, brown chicken breast (cut in to 1" to 2" strips), combine with beef and mix in about 1/2 of taco seasoning packet and 1/4 cup of water, reduce, then set aside. Spray pot with Pam and add drained corn and chopped onion, cook on medium heat until caramelized (about 6 minutes). Add tomatoes, rotel, remaining taco seasoning, spices and garlic and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Turn off heat and add beef and chicken to pot, mix ingredients. Heat oven to 350. Cut tortillas into ~1" strips (I used a pizza cutter and did 3 or 4 at a time), and place on a pizza pan or foil and bake in oven until crispy. Take about 1.5 cups of the meat/sauce mixture from the pot and combine with 2 tbsp of corn flour (masa). Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with Pam and then spread the corn flour/sauce mixture across the bottom of the dish. Next layer about 1/3 of your toasted tortilla strips in a crosshatch pattern, be sure to spread the strips evenly across the dish. Next layer about 1/3 of your cheese evenly over the tortilla strips. Set aside another cup of your meat/sauce and then layer the remaining evenly over the 1st cheese layer. Use the remaining tortilla strips and layer in the same manner as before. Drizzle the final cup of meat/sauce over the tortilla strips. Top the casserole dish with remaining cheese. Bake about 30 minutes in the oven or until cheese has melted and starts to brown. Remove, allow about 20 minutes to cool slightly and serve.

Options: Remember I am always shooting for a taste vs calorie balance, but there are plenty of ways to make this dish even lower in calories. You could remove some of the beef and/or chicken and replace with black or red or pinto beans. You could also replace the tortillas with some lightly pan fried (or baked) slices of zucchini or eggplant. You could also take out the caramelized corn but I think it adds another dimension to the dish.

I can eat about a pound of this stuff (1.5 servings) with a tablespoon of sour cream and guacamole (chopped lettuce is good too) over the course of a fasting day and still be under my 600 calories.

Enjoy
  • orlcam
    Author: @einzweidrei

August 26, 2014 3:34 PM

I don't really get TOO heavy into cooking, because my husband and I work opposite schedules. (Oh right and I hate cooking, lol.)

I do recommend these low carb/low calorie (45/piece) tortillas that TJ's sells.
    Also, if you are making tacos, although more expensive, the 90:10 ground beef has about 100 calories less than the 80:20 per 4 oz.

Personally, we haven't been planning too many meals lately. I've been buying:
    -Potstickers (1 serving is less than 200 calories)
    -Frozen wontons (50 cals/four---just bought them for the first time and having them tonight so I'll let you know how they taste.)
    -Frozen chicken/rice & chicken/lo mein meals that I split with my husband, <400 calories/serving.
    -Low calorie snacks (Ice pops for me, 15 cals/one and sugar free jell-o for my husband when he makes it.)
    -Soups, which we usually split as a side.
    *Note: I don't care about sodium and I love it.

As far as recipes, I think a fast/easy one is any type of stir fry. The best part is you can just add things/whatever you like. I usually throw in low calorie options: chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, onions, some type of sauce. Serving usually ends up being <300 calories/person for a nice sizable portion.
  • orlcam

August 29, 2014 1:35 AM

I've only been fasting for 4 weeks now, but I just ate the most satisfying dinner I've had so far while fasting; Blackened Tilapia on Coleslaw with a Dill Cream Sauce and a cup of Portobello Onion soup.

The soup is relatively easy (but tasty)...

Portobello Mushroom Soup:
    (Yield ~2.25 cups at 191 calories, or 2 servings of ~1 cup at 95 per)

Ingredients:
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Land O'Lakes Unsalted Butter (50 calories)
    • - 1/2 of medium (2-1/2" dia), Onions - chopped (23)
    • - 4 oz, Portobello Mushroom Caps , 1/2" cubed (27)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Minced Garlic (3)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Ginger root - minced (1)
    • - 1 tbsp, Wheat flour - White, all-purpose, enriched (28)
    • - 2 cups, Swanson - Chicken Broth - 99% Fat Free (10)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Concord Foods Reconstituted Lemon Juice (0)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Kosher Salt (0)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black (1)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Spices - Oregano, dried (1)
    • - pinch, Spices - ground Bay leaf (powder) (0)
    • - 1/4 cup, Blue Diamond Original Unsweetened Almond Milk (8)
    • - 2 tbsp, Daisy - Light Sour Cream (40)
    Directions: melt butter in small pot, add chopped onions and saute until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add portobello, garlic & ginger, continue to cook until portobellos begin to soften (about 5 minutes). Add flour and stir until dissolved. Add broth, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano and bay leaf and bring soup to a boil for about 4 minutes (soup should start to thicken). After boiling, reduce heat and simmer. In a separate small bowl mix almond milk and sour cream with ~1/4 cup of soup removed from the simmering pot. Stir separated mixture until sour cream has completely dissolved, slowly add cream mixture to soup stirring as you pour. Continue to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes until creamy. Serve while hot or save and reheat for later.

Options: You can choose to puree the soup after cooking...I prefer to leave it chunky. A great presentation (if you have room for the added calories, ~+150 per) would be to pour the soup into oven-safe bowls (like french onion soup bowls), float some toasted whole wheat/multi-grain bread cubes (tossed with parmesan and/or romano) and add a slice of Sargento provolone on top of each, cook on top rack at 425 degrees until cheese begins to brown and bubble (about 5 minutes), remove and serve on a plate (will be very hot).

Blackened Tilapia recipe to follow.
  • orlcam

August 29, 2014 2:08 AM

Blackened Tilapia with Dill Sauce over Cole Slaw:
    (Yield ~1.25 lb at 549 calories, or 2 10 oz servings at 275 cal per)

I wound up with 4 pieces of fish and they weighed in at a little under the 12 oz the recipe calls for. Also there was oil left in the pan after cooking, and I didn't use all of the dill sauce or blackening seasoning. This means that the whole dish is most likely closer to (or under) 500 calories (or about ~250 cal per 10 oz serving).

It looks foreboding, but it's really not...the Blackened Fish Seasoning recipe is there just in case you need it, but feel free to use a store-bought brand. The coleslaw and dill sauce can be made hours ahead of time (or the night before), also they can be added to other recipes. The sauce is simple and should go well with any pan fried/sauteed/baked fish (you may need to add a little salt; I chose not to add any because there was already plenty in the slaw and fish seasoning). The coleslaw is simple also, just a few ingredients plus some of the pre-made dill sauce.

Dill Sauce (~5 tbsp, 57 calories total):
    • - 1.5 tbsp, Daisy Light Sour Cream (30 calories)
    • - 1.5 tbsp, Great Value Greek Non-fat Plain Yogurt (11)
    • - 1 tbsp, Concord Foods Reconstituted Lime Juice (0)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Concord Foods Reconstituted Lemon Juice (0)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Zatarain’s Creole Mustard (15)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Spices - Dill weed, dried (1)
    Directions: Mix all ingredients well, refrigerate until use.

Cole Slaw (~2.5 cups, 62 calories excluding Dill Sauce):
    • - 2 cups, Shredded Cabbage (43 calories) any type or slaw mix
    • - 1 tbsp, Grated Carrot (3)
    • - 1 tsp, Minced Garlic (4)
    • - 3 stalks, sliced Green Onions (9)
    • - 1/2 medium stalk, finely diced Celery (3)
    • - 1 tbsp, Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar (0)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Kosher Salt (0) or to taste
    • - 1 packet, Great Value No Calorie Sweetener, Stevia (0) or to taste
    • - 1/2 of prepared Dill Sauce (from above)
    Directions: Mix all ingredients well (be sure to coat all vegetables with sauce), refrigerate for 1 hour or until use.

Blackened Fish Seasoning (Enough for 4 or 5 fish, 40 calories total):
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Black Peppercorns, Coarsely Ground (0 calories)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Kosher Salt (0)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Spices - Paprika (10)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Spices - Onion powder (12)
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Spices - Garlic powder (14)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Spices - Oregano, dried (2)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Spices - Basil, dried (1)
    • - 1/8 tsp, Spices - Pepper, red or cayenne (1) or more to bring the heat
    • - 1/8 tsp, Spices - Dill weed, dried (0)
    • - 1/8 tsp, Spices - Rosemary, dried (0)
    • - pinch, Spices - Ground Bay Leaf, dried (0)
    Directions: Mix all ingredients well. You can place in a large holed shaker to simplify application.

Blackened Tilapia (390 calories excluding Seasoning, Dill Sauce & Coleslaw):
    • - 12 oz, Tilapia Fillet (about 3, 4 oz fillets) (300)
    • - prepared Blackened Fish Seasoning (from above)
    • - 1 tbsp, Peanut Oil (only about 3/4 tbsp will be absorbed, 90 calories)
    • - prepared Coleslaw (from above)
    • - 1/2 of prepared Dill Sauce (from above)
    Directions: Heat about 1 tbsp of peanut oil (only about 3/4 tbsp will be absorbed by fish) in a skillet on medium to medium-low heat (hot enough to slightly blacken one side of your fish within 3 to 4 minutes). Cover fillets generously with seasoning. When oil has become hot place seasoned fillets in skillet and cook until the sides of the fish begin to turn opaque (about 3 or 4 minutes), turn fish over, cover skillet and cook for the same amount of time. Fish should be flaky and white through. Remove from skillet and place directly on a bed of cool coleslaw, top (to taste) with remaining dill sauce. Serve immediately.

Options: These would make great fish tacos (or fajitas), just crumble the fish in the taco and top with slaw and dill sauce. You could also bake some corn tortillas (cut into strips), sprinkle them with some of the leftover blackened seasoning and place atop the slaw (under the fish)…adding a crunchy texture to the dish.

Enjoy...I know I did.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Author: @bunnylion

August 31, 2014 11:51 AM

¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ Vegetarian Chili ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸ . · * / ` \ * · . ¸

The vegetarian version of chili has a lot less calories than the original while lacking nothing in flavor. Here is a personal favorite that is only 200 calories per serving.

You need:
    • - 1 onion
    • - 2 garlic cloves
    • - 1 fresh green bell pepper
    • - 175g Quorn meatfree ground/mince OR 1 can lentils (drained 265 g)
    • - 1 can kidney beans (drained 265 g)
    • - 1 can chopped tomatoes (with juice 400 g)
    • - 1/2 can corn (drained: 130 g)
    • - 1tsp oil (5 ml)
    • - broth as needed
    • - spices: salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper...
    Do:
    Heat oil in pot. Chop onion and add to oil. Cook until them until they are soft. Add chopped garlic and cook until you smell that nice toasted garlicy smell. Add chopped bell pepper. Add Quorn (or lentils) and all the canned ingredients. Add broth as desired depending on how liquid you like your Chili. Add spices as desired. Let the whole thing cook on small to medium temperature for at least 15 Minutes. Stir every once in a while.

Yields: Four small portions a 200 cals, three decent portions a 270 cals or 2 huge portions a 400 cals.

Variations:
    Quorn has loads of protein, is low in calories and the look, taste and feel are quite close to 'real' ground meat.
    However, lentils are quite a bit cheaper and might be more readily available in the supermarket. Taste-wise they are great as well but the Chili will only contain about half of the protein. If you don't mind soy, you could also use 50 g of dried TVP as another protein rich option.
    On non fast days I top it off with loads of cheese and sour cream. Maybe even a slice of bread?

I'm not a great food photographer but here is a pic anyway ;-)
    bbdvxr5uf4in.jpg