Five Days Dairy Free - 4th to 8th May (and beyond if it works!)

Options
GrannyMayOz
GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
Hi Everyone,

Been tossing this idea around with a few others since I went dairy free for 5 days recently and had better weight losses than ever before. Dairy may or may not be the reason, but feel free to join me and report your experiences, challenges, thoughts along the way if you wish.

Monday morning, 4th May is when I'm going to begin, but you can choose whatever date suits you!

If you're doing any other regimes (like the Meatless May Challenge) you're still welcome to join, but can we keep this thread relatively to do with the dairy free experience? I'm as liable to get off track as anyone, but it's a hope anyway :D

I'll look up some recipes for those that want them in a moment - just getting the thread off the ground first ;)

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Totally in! I tried to do four days this week but last night I forgot when I went to Starbucks, so I shrugged and put goat cheese on my eggs this morning. M-F sounds like a good start.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Totally in! I tried to do four days this week but last night I forgot when I went to Starbucks, so I shrugged and put goat cheese on my eggs this morning. M-F sounds like a good start.

I hear you Octo. Luckily it was on my 6th day (so my 5 days were over) when I was half way through an omelette lunch hubby had made me, and realised it had *lots* and lots of grated cheddar in it. I hadn't given it a thought, and David was the cook. Thank goodness it was Day 6 and not sooner!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    To FIT_Goat - I found one quote from you that I include below (after asking you to come here and post) :*

Lots of quoting from other threads, that may be of interest (and I hope the quoters don't mind)…

Paleo recipes are dairy free.
    kirkor wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »
    The only keto I know has been dairy-free, so yep it's quite realistic. ;)
    There's not a LOT of resources, and it can be frustrating sometimes to browse food blogs and see that so many recipes use cheese, but you get your "old reliable" dishes and soldier on. :)
    A few links to get you started:

http://ditchthewheat.com/25-dairy-free-ketogenic-recipes/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/18eebp/how_do_i_do_keto_dairy_and_egg_free/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1jtede/
    https://www.pinterest.com/sevimel/dairy-free-low-carb-recipes/
    ibetty55 wrote: »
    I've been reading Cordain's "the Paleo Answer" and he goes through all kinds of enzymes etc in dairy products that can be very detrimental to health and weight loss. I'm considering dairy free at least for a while as an experiment but might have to give up coffee also because I don't know if I can drink it without HWC
    wabmester wrote: »
    A couple more theories (I love a mystery):

1) If you are mildly lactose intolerant, there could be some swelling in the irritated GI tract. Swelling means water retention.

2) Cheese has a lot of slow-digesting protein, which is probably why it causes constipation in some people. If it slows down digestion, you could simply have more food in your belly (and the extra fluid needed for digestion).
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and today I have included dairy (cheese mostly < 4oz/day). My scale weight is unknown for Saturday and Sunday, but it has gone from 70.8 kg (Friday) to 71.9 kg for Monday and Tuesday. I am now out of dairy and don't plan on buying any more. We'll see how long it hangs around. But, a 1.1 kg (2.4 lb) scale gain from dairy isn't atypical for me. Is this a true gain? Not at this point. But, if I continue to eat dairy, I will likely not lose weight and might even start gaining from here.

Why? I don't know. Could be sodium or it could be a number of other things. At this point, it's a fairly consistent result. When I cut dairy out, the weight comes back off and my overall weight trends downwards. When I include dairy, I get a pretty obvious bump on the scale and the weight loss slows, stops, or reverses. I could question the mechanism, but I'm treating this as a simple black box problem. I know when I put "dairy" in, I get "{negative results}" out. So, I'm going to stop putting dairy in and not worry about what's happening in between.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Awesome, thanks Kirkor!

Here's a recipe recommended by my D-I-L who's an awesome cook. It says to grind the herbs and cook it in a thermomix, but I'm sure we can use other methods. 100°C is about 210°F recipecommunity.com.au/main-dishes-meat-recipes/lime-and-lemongrass-chicken/71328 OK, just realised it needs more decyphering. Switch the vegetable oil for coconut oil (or whatever you prefer). I'm switching to powdered spices instead of fresh, and coriander is cilantro in American.

Well I tried somewhat - after being railroaded by Pinterest for nearly an hour. Anyone else have to shut their eyes on the Pinterest home page to actually get where you're going? ;)

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Kirkor do you eat butter? Seems to me he's saying pastured organic butter (which is what I eat) is fine. HWC too, though I'm not suggesting cream be included in the diet for this 5 days, but there seems some need for clarity on whether to include butter. In my opinion, people can choose for themselves, but I ask that they state that is the case when we come to reviewing results.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have been resistant to try dairy free because I LOVE cheese, as many do. Though wonder if it would help me with digestion, since things are slow there (always has been, but I've always eaten cheese) and would like to find out. So, I think I'm in even though I'm a meativore too. Will confirm this closer to the 4th.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been super frustrated with my weight loss to the point of considering giving Keto a break for a month or so just to change things up. If cutting dairy will do it for me without giving up Keto for a while, I'm going to find out! I plan on cutting ALL dairy (cream and butter) for the 5 days just eliminate variables.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion in terms of experimental integrity:

Any diet that eliminates something tends to decrease calories, so if you want to reduce that bias, plan on what will replace your dairy in terms of calories and fat. And, of course, monitor both calories and macros during the course of the experiment.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ok. So cheese is out, what about cream or butter (I know they are dairy), but more natural. Is Mayo allowed?
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been thinking about what will replace the calories and fat from cheese, especially. Probably more meat and eggs. And macadamia nuts. I just made an omelet and it was sadly empty without the cheese...and I just had two pieces of bacon...
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If butter is allowed I'm in! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    RisiM wrote: »
    Ok. So cheese is out, what about cream or butter (I know they are dairy), but more natural. Is Mayo allowed?

Homemade mayo is an egg, maybe some dijon mustard (helps it emulsify), salt, pepper, and olive oil, usually - I don't see dairy, do you?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Butter doesn't cause me any issues. I include that with impunity. But, the rest come with some problems. My conclusions are already quoted above. After saying that, I found some blue cheese crumbles and added them with bacon to some steak.

I know the consequences, but I have a hard time saying "no" when it is right there. :tongue:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @Kirkor do you eat butter? Seems to me he's saying pastured organic butter (which is what I eat) is fine.

Clarifying butter is your best bet to remove the milk proteins and just leave the fat. Has a longer shelf life and higher smoke point too.

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I probably should try this. I have had a pernicious sinus clog for the past few months, so perhaps it is because of the dairy and whey protein that I have been consuming. Arg. I love cheese!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OMG. I don't think I would survive low carb without dairy..
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your input - thoughts, facts, knowledge and everything!

@camtosh - I spent my *entire* life with clogged sinuses, drippy nose and regular sore throats. Until I gave up milk. Not saying you consume milk, but that dairy could well be causing your sinus issues.

So for the challenge ... in my opinion...
    No dairy means the absence of hard or soft cheeses, yogurt, cream, ice cream, custards, kefir etc. Some people wish to still include butter, clarified butter or ghee as they are deemed a different object. This is completely fine, but please specify that you are doing this in any significant posts.

These dairy gaps can be filled with avocado, coconut milk, coconut cream, nuts, and obviously meat, eggs, animal fats and anything else you would normally consume that hasn't been squeezed out of a cow/goat/sheep/yak/cloven-hooved-other or mammal of any description.

Coconut oil is good for frying - the virgin version if you don't mind the taste, or refined if you want to avoid the taste and smell of coconut. Coconut milk is delicious and creamy in your coffee, and bearable if you're light-handed with it in tea. Coconut cream makes a wonderful base for a curry with your meat of choice, curry powder, cumin, a little bit of onion, a sprinkle of dessicated coconut, and maybe some cauliflower or broccoli sprigs if you wish.

Oh, and if you're dying for lack of cheese, there's a flaky ;) substance named Nutritional Yeast which you can sprinkle the tiniest bit on top of other foods, or eat with a spoon and it tastes very cheesey. However, it's high in calories and carbs if you have much of it, so this is just a tiny sprinkle. Wikipedia says "Nutritional yeast is produced by culturing a yeast in a nutrient medium for several days. The primary ingredient in the growth medium is glucose, often from either sugarcane or beet molasses." So although I've mentioned the stuff, go in with your eyes open.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am going to do no dairy for May. I know how bad it is. I might just throw out the big container I have of crumbled blue cheese, to avoid the temptation.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First off , @FIT_Goat , LOVE your black box approach to dairy!

I'm going to go cheese free (all dairy except butter and I will use Ghee) for May as well, BUT I'm also doing the meativore challenge so my results won't be pure as it will be difficult to say whether it was no cheese or no carbs that cause any significant changes... but just saying, I'll be feeling the no cheese blues as well.

Also, due to social functions etc, I will be starting both on May 4th.