Five Days Dairy Free - 4th to 8th May (and beyond if it works!)

Options

Replies

• happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz I am going to do this challenge Granny and will get some coconut milk and give up my beloved hwc for the 5 days
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I was totally in, but now that I think about it, I don't want to do meat-only AND dairy free at the same time, because then I won't know which to credit with any changes I notice.

I think I'll do a Dairy free June, maybe. I suspect I will be sticking to carnivore beyond May, so then I will see their results separately.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I think I will give this a try, if I can still have butter. I'll try it for the 5 days and see if I like it. It's only 5 days. Last month I only lost 1.3 pounds total, so it's worth a try.

I suspect dairy and nuts may stall my weight loss. I will likely be eating more meat as well, although have not committed to the meativore challenge. For now I'll try going without cream and cheese and try to keep my carbs a little lower and see what happens. If not for my natural health practitioner who wants me to still keep some veggies in my diet, I would try the meat challenge too. That may come in the future for me.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    @Octobubbles fully understood. I wasn't sure about running this concurrently, but I'm not officially doing the ZC challenge and *do* want to do this one, so thought I'd offer it publicly. I've no idea if it will run longer than the 5 days and anyone can start and stop any time they please. I'm just interested in sharing results in one place to see if there are any general conclusions that can be drawn.

@Kitn yes, please have your butter and hop on board.

Welcome everyone - are you all poised for tomorrow morning? If you wish to post a start weight and/or any measurements or how you feel, go for it!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with octobubbles. The more I have thought about it I feel the same, that maybe shouldn't try both at the same time. I will be giving it a try at another time. Good luck everyone!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm on board. Almost started yesterday, but didn't resist a Tbsp of sour cream to go on my leftover fajitas. I'm torn between wanting to start losing weight b/c I dropped dairy and not losing and being able to continue to eat dairy!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    A couple of the challenges started when one person decided to do it on their own first, and then enough people expressed interest to make running it as a thing interesting. So, we could very possibly run a dairy free month in the near future.

I am doing dairy free this month, but only because I have been overdoing it and need to get back on track.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Welcome Wheatless <3 Tomorrow's a good day to begin ;) And thank you Goat, that pretty much sums up the way this one started for sure. I have 2¼ hours left to eat dairy if I wish (but I don't).
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    @Kirkor do you eat butter? Seems to me he's saying pastured organic butter (which is what I eat) is fine.

Clarifying butter is your best bet to remove the milk proteins and just leave the fat. Has a longer shelf life and higher smoke point too.

Clarified me some butter last night. It's really yummy! I'm trying dairy free for awhile too so count me in!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So do you think coconut milk will whip frothy like HWC in BPC?
    And how do you clarify butter?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    So do you think coconut milk will whip frothy like HWC in BPC?
    And how do you clarify butter?

To clarify butter.... Heat unsalted buttet.... Scrape off the foam that rises to the top... Then strain through several layers of cheese cloth....
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I just stir my coconut milk into my coffee but I'm sure it would whip up if that is an issue for you. If it doesn't, then coconut cream perhaps would? The cream is obviously thicker and richer in fat than the milk. Both can be used to make delicious coconut curries with any meat of your choice - prawns/shrimp, chicken, red meat...
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Well here I go, checking in for Day One...

Weight 83.1 kgs / 182.2 lbs. I was slowly increasing in weight during last week (when I was back on dairy after 5 days without). Coincidence? I don't know. Which is why I'm spending today and the next 4 finding out ;) If this goes well and I lose again, and the bloated feeling I've had all week goes away then I'll know I'm onto something.

If this experiment does go well, I will try reintroducing butter next week to see if I can 'get away' with that. I hope so, because my skin seemed my dry during my first 5 days dairy free. I obviously don't want that at my age!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    I weighed in today at 221.4 --up 2 lbs from yesterday. I've been gaining for three days now, maybe b/c of an antibiotic?? I didn't have cheese yesterday--head start!

I don't really want cheese/dairy to be the culprit that keeps me from losing, but if it is I want to know.
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well I have to be the sharpest tool in the shed - not! We usually eat around noon for the first time each day. Today we were out and had still not eaten by 3pm so went to a cafe. I got my usual Caesar salad and it was only after it arrived that I saw the shreds of parmesan cheese in it. Far too small to pick the pieces out. Oooh aaaah! In total it would have been about a rounded teaspoonful I think so I'm going to pretend it didn't happen - that's all I can do :dizzy:

I agree Wheatless. It would be nice if dairy wasn't to blame. However, if it is, I intend to stay away from it as much as possible while I lose and then I can enjoy it again when I want to maintain weight. Well those are my thoughts anyway o:)

ETA I didn't have any dairy yesterday either, aren't we angelic? Well, you more than me I think ;)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I think that dairy is one of those food staples that are easy go-to's that very easily put people over in calories. I've never been very keen on dairy being lactose intolerant, so for me it's not an issue. The theory about dairy causing stalls could be as simple as if you don't weigh every gram, it adds up so fast. Or there could be something in dairy that works counterproductive to fat loss. Remember that all foods create chemical responses in your body. Those chain reactions are what constitute "metabolism".

For dairy-lovers, maybe think of it more as a 2-3x a week, like more of a treat rather than a food that is a cornerstone of your diet ? I think 5 days is not enough to experiment, I'd shoot for 2-3 weeks, but if you see positive effects of cutting it out after only 5 days, then there's a strong indicator. Then experiment with thresholds and how much. I don't see a reason to cut it out completely, unless very severe cases.

Just a hunch, I do think butter is better than cream and cheese.

If you want to creep my diary for a life with very occasional dairy, give me a wave :)

Oh, a quick search provided two articles addressing dairy and slow fat loss on lowcarb macros:

From authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/
    Even though you may seem to tolerate dairy products just fine, eating them often and spiking insulin can be detrimental to the metabolic adaptation that needs to take place in order to reap the full benefits of low-carb diets.

In this case, avoid milk, cut back on the cheese, yogurt and cream. Butter is fine as it is very low in protein and lactose and therefore won’t spike insulin.

From dietdoctor.com/lose-weight-by-cutting-down-on-dairy-products-and-nuts
    Dairy products all contain a varying amount of lactose (the milk sugar), which slows down weight loss. What’s more, part of the protein in milk generates an insulin response, which can have the same effect. Consequently, cutting back on dairy products may accelerate weight loss. This applies especially to dairy products typically lacking in fat, such as regular milk and different yoghurts, but be careful with full-fat dairy such as cream and cheese all the same.

As with all things concerning diet, I think it's individual what types of dairy, how much and how often you can eat with no adverse effects. No one size fits all.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    There will likely be mishaps like that along the way, May. I forgot to tell my husband to leave the cheese off my burger a couple days ago. Hopefully a slight oops won't make a huge difference. I've allowed myself some (measured) blackberries for 3-4 days and I think I have to cut them out b/c I've been gaining. :(

If I ever hit the magic button and lose weight I hope I can have some dairy and fruit during maintenance. We can dream, can't we?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Here I go, my first day dairy free.

My weight has been bouncing around but is up due to social alcohol consumption lately and going over in my calories the past couple of weeks. Too many dinners out celebrating various occasions. I hadn't had alcoholic beverages for months before Easter, then there was just too much going on to avoid celebrations. So today I am up 1 whole kg from 2 days ago ( pre- birthday drinks and dinner, darn that steak rub and a bit of Haagen Dazs...)
    May 4 - 98.7 kg / 217.14 lbs.

It will be hard for me to tell whether dairy might be to blame, since I plan to cut out all dairy except butter, but I also will watch the calorie intake more diligently and cut out the alcohol and nuts, and watch the berry intake. So if I have favorable results, I won't know whether to attribute it to the dairy or to caloric restriction, or the alcohol or nuts. But I'm up for the challenge, and need to get back on track.

The only concern I have is that the cheese would bump up my protein intake, and I struggle as it is to eat enough protein, so will have to up my meat portions likely to compensate
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Right, I'm in! I think dairy is messing with my eczema anyway. Gonna be using ghee and butter as Im not having coconut.