Need help starting

Options

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Something @Raynn1 said on an other thread, but I wanted to record here:

"Sometimes its not something you have recently done that makes a difference.. its a compound effect from months of being consistent that lead to a drop in lbs, or a change in inches or whatnot..Weight loss/Fat loss/Inches lost are not all linear.. so sometimes it can seem like nothing is happening, and them BOOM.. a big drop.."

Good to remember, especially when I am considering cutting- prematurely cutting probably.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Just a few more thoughts: not sure how to process. I am doubting if I will ever have the self-control to cut. I cannot seem to even plan my maintenance day and stay on par with that.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @saranharm Isn't it funny that when we are not ready to cut, we just want to cut. And when we are actually ready, we just go, nope, I don't want to cut. I'm with you. Actually this thought plagued me even before I did a bulk in 2013. I didn't want to do it because I knew I would no want to let go of the extra food. But I ended up doing it anyway and haven't really done the cut since then, lol. Am I bigger? Well, I'm definitely stronger, more muscular, tighter and surprisingly not fatter of bigger at all, even hough I am definitely heavier. If I even decide to cut, I'm sure I'll be afraid of losing weight and therefore losing muscle and burning less calories.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Just a few more thoughts: not sure how to process. I am doubting if I will ever have the self-control to cut. I cannot seem to even plan my maintenance day and stay on par with that.

I think a lot of people think that way. They realize their goals and priorities shift when they are fed right, lifting heavy and things change without dropping cals. A lot begin to realize that happiness is not a smaller size, but being happy in your own skin. So its not uncommon for some people to just say F@$k it and stay at or close to maintenance and never really cut. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

For me, the longer I stay at cut, the more self processing I do and I like myself more. I fear cutting (a little)and finding myself struggling to jump down the rabbit hole again, and thats not something I want to do... So for now, maintenance is where I need to be, until I know I can mentally handle a reduction in cals and not feel the need to "rush" again and drop lots...I dont want to drop a few cals, and then get pissed if nothing happens.. lol.. thats the mental aspect of the journey.. when we think we are ready.. we probably arent:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Consideration of health factors comes into play too.

If the amount to goal weight is minor and not really putting you into unhealthy status right now (and I don't mean the badly applied BMI), do deficit days as you desire, and don't worry about. Nothing says when you do deficit you have stay in that mode for x amount of time.
    A very valid strategy when you do decide it's time is some days of the week at maintenance, some in deficit, and it may even be minor or more in comparison to each other.
    Or what appears to be a calm week in general will be great for deficit eating, but a more stressful week would be better at maintenance.

But indeed for some the extra weight is not minor and is fat and is a risk factor for health issues - that's no good no matter how confident you feel about yourself and carry yourself and smash your workouts. But still gotta have healthy body to lose just the fat.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @saranharm Isn't it funny that when we are not ready to cut, we just want to cut. And when we are actually ready, we just go, nope, I don't want to cut. I'm with you. Actually this thought plagued me even before I did a bulk in 2013. I didn't want to do it because I knew I would no want to let go of the extra food. But I ended up doing it anyway and haven't really done the cut since then, lol. Am I bigger? Well, I'm definitely stronger, more muscular, tighter and surprisingly not fatter of bigger at all, even hough I am definitely heavier. If I even decide to cut, I'm sure I'll be afraid of losing weight and therefore losing muscle and burning less calories.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

@terezatoledo its so true. In march I was ready to cut. So ready, in fact, that I rushed my reset. But now the thought is repulsive. Lol. I think you look great by the way. You obviously had a successful muscle building bulk. Yay for strength!

• jerilynconn
    Options
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    saranharm wrote: »

I think a lot of people think that way. They realize their goals and priorities shift when they are fed right, lifting heavy and things change without dropping cals. A lot begin to realize that happiness is not a smaller size, but being happy in your own skin. So its not uncommon for some people to just say F@$k it and stay at or close to maintenance and never really cut. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

For me, the longer I stay at cut, the more self processing I do and I like myself more. I fear cutting (a little)and finding myself struggling to jump down the rabbit hole again, and thats not something I want to do... So for now, maintenance is where I need to be, until I know I can mentally handle a reduction in cals and not feel the need to "rush" again and drop lots...I dont want to drop a few cals, and then get pissed if nothing happens.. lol.. thats the mental aspect of the journey.. when we think we are ready.. we probably arent:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator

@raynn1 I totally get that. I definitely said eff it. Then I pinched my belly in my belt, which is not only painful but kinda embarrassing. And it did make me realize that I do eventually want to reduce body fat. Some aesthetic reasons, but mostly practical for mobility and such.

I've also toyed with the idea of eating my usual foods (I know generally I am in the ballpark for protein. And fiber if it eat certain foods daily) and then for a certain amount of time just dropping one thing. I.e. if I eat eggs and cottage cheese and a carb that doesn't provide fiber for breakfast I could drop that carb (don't worry I get enough!) While "cutting" and it won't feel like an obsessive numbers game. Nor will I feel starving. Or dropping the butter on my popcorn or whatever. But will it be enough to eventually see results? Don't wanna miss out on any food I could be eating. :D
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Consideration of health factors comes into play too.

If the amount to goal weight is minor and not really putting you into unhealthy status right now (and I don't mean the badly applied BMI), do deficit days as you desire, and don't worry about. Nothing says when you do deficit you have stay in that mode for x amount of time.
    A very valid strategy when you do decide it's time is some days of the week at maintenance, some in deficit, and it may even be minor or more in comparison to each other.
    Or what appears to be a calm week in general will be great for deficit eating, but a more stressful week would be better at maintenance.

But indeed for some the extra weight is not minor and is fat and is a risk factor for health issues - that's no good no matter how confident you feel about yourself and carry yourself and smash your workouts. But still gotta have healthy body to lose just the fat.

I hate bmi too. I would categorize myself as overweight, but not obese. I do not have any health issues. I don't even feel like my weight affects most of what I do.

I will definitely consider smaller amounts of time at a deficit. It would be much easier on me than looking at 2 months of a cut.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Having some clarity working through the #crushingthedietmentality course. Great content!

I have devised a plan to put my eating on autopilot. I seem to be maintaining fine eating intuitively. But I laid out a few options for meals where I can get enough fiber and protein without tracking.

I am adding some cottage cheese/yogurt blend to my breakfast for extra protein. Also, going to get some chicken sausage at Sam's club for a breakfast option. I feel best if I get lots of protein in the am. Often times I don't get enough early on and its hard to play catch up- plus, if I have a protein shake in the afternoon or evening it makes me physically sick I have noticed the last few times.

I also decides if I don't have bran cereal for breakfast, like if I make pancakes or something, I will have a wrap of some sorts for lunch with a high fiber wrap. If I do have cereal, I will probably just have leftovers for lunch. While I do get some fiber from fruits and veggies it isn't a ton so I like to get in 1 or 2 servings of something high fiber per day to make it a bit easier on me. When I travel I use quest bars.

I think this feels like a good balance for me.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan going forward!!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Thanks @Raynn1 ! I think, too, it will help me focus on other things. One, why do I feel so crappy sometimes. I have already found some reasons. I think that's what Leslie schilling was talking about- I always tracked but I never could extrapolate patterns from my tracking. Not seeing the forest through the trees, something like that.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Well, not sure how well my intuitive eating is going. I am up 4 pounds since my last weigh in sometime last week. I am going to keep an eye on it. Its obviously not fat, but I laid out my plan for today in my food diary anyways.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think writing in a journal can help when you are trying to become more fit and get rid of bad habits. Is there a place to write your own thoughts on this site without it being a post on a public thread?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I think writing in a journal can help when you are trying to become more fit and get rid of bad habits. Is there a place to write your own thoughts on this site without it being a post on a public thread?

No. I decided to make this a public journal because reading others journeys helped me when I first started. There are a lot of ups and downs- its normal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Sadly no, it's either shared with ones on your list, or none, or everyone.

But it is nice to put notes about food in food diary and about what did or didn't happen with exercise in those exercise notes.

I'm sure it would make for interesting review and some possible revelations about connections.

At list limiting it to friend's list would limit number potentially seeing it - if they even care to look.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    @saranharm I have been reading older posts on this thread and you have a beautiful outlook on who you are and where you are headed. You have inspired me to do my own thread for my journey. Thank you. It is hard to take that first step and put your true self out there. Sharing your thoughts and concerns for the public to see and comment on can be daunting. You have an amazing self reflection.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @saranharm I have been reading older posts on this thread and you have a beautiful outlook on who you are and where you are headed. You have inspired me to do my own thread for my journey. Thank you. It is hard to take that first step and put your true self out there. Sharing your thoughts and concerns for the public to see and comment on can be daunting. You have an amazing self reflection.

Thank you @beverlyriley900
    The whole motivation behind loving myself as I am right now was inspired by someone else. This someone else doesn't see herself as in see her: beautiful. I figured that other people don't think of me as I think of me either. Its been the drive behind me so far and I have changed.

I'd like to think its helpful for others, this thread has been read about 4,000 times so obviously people are reading it.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    @saranharm @TerezaToledo can anyone start a journal/discussion thread in this group or is it limited? I have been playing around with the section "my blog" but I can't find what I have posted once I enter the information. I have also looked at the discussion site to maybe add a journal?discussion there but I think that goes to all of MFP?? I would like to put my thoughts down and I would enjoy learning from others and see if I get ideas for my journey from them also but this site is still a bit confusing to me. It is also difficult to find things again once I have stumbled on them. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @beverlyriley900 You can create your own thread here. Just "create a new discussion", chose a title for the thread, write as much as you want and post ;)
    The good thing about a thread is that you don't have to write a lot every time. You just share your thoughts/feelings/questions, as short or as frequent as you want.
    We will definitely love to hear more from you and how your journey is going and to support you. Go for it!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Btw, I must agree that @saranharm is amazing and has come really far in this journey! I see lots of good things in the future for you!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL