Need help starting

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello Saranharm

I'm getting there with my protein macro !! However because of my love of fruit my carbs and sugar are over, is this very relevant if it's from fruit????? Thank carol

I'll add - if you have X amount of calories, and a big junk is coming from carbs, then you won't have the room to get more from protein.

So yes it still counts if from fruit. You are likely getting more nutrition than your body needs (vitamins/minerals) so some waste there, and the excess sugar (that's what it still ends up as in your bloodstream, fruit or bread or vegetables) still taking up calories you need from protein. Amino acids are still building blocks of healthy body too.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Raynn1 !!! I wanted to click "like," "love,", " inspiring," AND "insightful!"

Did some form videos:

Squats:

https://youtu.be/el5FGvC7K-U

Deadlifts:

https://youtu.be/k3qJPGJ3UYY
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @saranharm I know those feelings too well, for many years I felt like I didn't need nice things, that it was vain and futile. But the truth is that we deserve to take care of ourselves. That will make us feel good and by feeling good about ourselves we can be better mothers, wives, friends, employees, bosses, you name it. I am happy to hear you faced the challenge and came out of it different!

I love your squat form!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    Options
    On the squats, notice as you get heavier you slightly lean forward coming out of the bottom.
    Upper body is leaning a tad more over, making the bar path appear to move in front of middle of foot.
    Just make sure to keep the upper body as upright on heavier as on lighter lifts - may have a cue of getting chest out.
    May also see if you notice slight weight shift to ball of foot to tell you if it's happening.
    But great form over all, and nice progression.

On the deads, they are fast, are you taking a breath at the top?
    If not, no problem, great anaerobic system - I see you increasing that weight pretty fast.
    If the neck has any problems of being tense, might look at feet in mirror at start while bent over, so neck is part of spine straight line, then again as you lower.
    Great sumo form though.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    On the squats, notice as you get heavier you slightly lean forward coming out of the bottom.
    Upper body is leaning a tad more over, making the bar path appear to move in front of middle of foot.
    Just make sure to keep the upper body as upright on heavier as on lighter lifts - may have a cue of getting chest out.
    May also see if you notice slight weight shift to ball of foot to tell you if it's happening.

If not, no problem, great anaerobic system - I see you increasing that weight pretty fast.
    If the neck has any problems of being tense, might look at feet in mirror at start while bent over, so neck is part of spine straight line, then again as you lower.
    Great sumo form though.

The guy at squat university told me that if I can control my speed going down on my squats better it will help me through the whole lift. I could definitely tell when performing the lift that there were some times I was off. There is so much to keep track of on each one that sometimes I focus too much on one thing- keeping my head up, or my breathing, for example. Guess its all apart of my learning curve.

As far as my deads, I'm not even sure. I think i breathe out at the top. Before i start i try to breathe deep and brace for the way up- more so as the lifts get heavier. I tend to get slower as the weight increases. I really hate doing more than 4 reps at a time. We don't have any chalk at my gym and it tears my hands up bad. Even with 4 reps, if I'm over 230# or so, my hands feel like they are on fire.

Good point about my neck! I will try that.

This was supposed to be a deload week, there is no way I would have even been able to pull heavier. I felt tight and tired. I'm hoping I go into next week feeling a bit better.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @saranharm I know those feelings too well, for many years I felt like I didn't need nice things, that it was vain and futile. But the truth is that we deserve to take care of ourselves. That will make us feel good and by feeling good about ourselves we can be better mothers, wives, friends, employees, bosses, you name it. I am happy to hear you faced the challenge and came out of it different!

I love your squat form!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

@TerezaToledo

So true! I've never really allowed myself to buy nice things. I think I've spent less than 3 days alone since I became a mum. Haven't had a getaway in... 4 years? 6 years?

After being underemployed for a long time, it was a habit to be as cheap as possible. Plus, I don't actually make any money. I know I contribute very much to my household, just not monetarily. Maybe I need a little allowance and I will need to force myself to spend it frivolously on stuff for me. Not saving up for a new vacuum, or anything for the household. That should be separate. Probably need to start small (but not get out of control ;) with some baby steps.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hello Team working on TDEE 1900 (although my fitbit alone gives me a much lower TDEE)
    I just wanted to give you some figures for my first week to see if I'm on the right track and what my intentions are for the second week which starts today.
    Started at 178lbs. After week 1st week 178lbs
    Cal. 1200 per day. First week had 1250 cal per day
    Man. and fitbit burn. Average1.800 (Fitbit only without me adding 1621).
    Carbs 43%, protein.28%. fat 30% after first week.

I am also using resistance bands for 10 minutes a day ( I don't have weights and also have a back problem). I do cardio each day too.

Starting today week 2. aim for 1300 calories per day.

Please can you advise if this seems ok or that I am not getting it right.

Thank you Carol

• jerilynconn
    Options
    Looks good @dejavuohlala I am not familiar with fitbits. But your protein looks better, weight the same. Slow & steady does it.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thanks Saranharm
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @saranharm As someone who used to work and became a SAHM myself, I had my share of feeling guilty of spending money on myself. I still do sometimes and don't justify paying full price for things. I try to use money wisely and not be cheap, but I still have it in the back of my mind. Baby steps is the way to go. The idea of setting a small allowance for yourself is a great way to start. The same way that we have to buy clothes for our kids, we need to buy for ourselves as well.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @saranharm Love that idea. You are a valuable part of the household, regardless of who earns the money. Imagine if you were actually paid for all the things you do; childcare, teaching, cooking, laundry, running the household etc. No guilt should be felt at all. Time to value yourself as I am sure your family values you.
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I read an article that in 1988 the monetary value of a housewife was quite high. You need to calculate in such jobs as: cook, house cleaning, laundry, dietitian, child psychology, shopping needs, ect. The figure they came up with is just over $48,000 a year. It has probably doubled by now. So I think any one who has a career taking care of the home and family should not feel guilty for taking some mental therapy time/needs.
  • heybales
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

Great sumo form though.

As far as my deads, I'm not even sure. I think i breathe out at the top. Before i start i try to breathe deep and brace for the way up- more so as the lifts get heavier. I tend to get slower as the weight increases. I really hate doing more than 4 reps at a time. We don't have any chalk at my gym and it tears my hands up bad. Even with 4 reps, if I'm over 230# or so, my hands feel like they are on fire.

On breathing - don't lose your locked in core by taking a breath when under load at the top of dead. Pause more between reps if needed to take a breath or two in order to make it.

On hands - many try to start bar in palm, but if you look at how gravity is going to work on that bar - it'll never remain there, so you might as well start where it's going to end - which is second joint in fingers.
    So usually that knuckle starts with pointing straight down, with wrist flat of course. Grip may need to catch up.
    But that's why you may hear of ones doing farmers walks or pinch plate walks on either dead's day or far from it, since those muscles will need recovery too.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I'm never sure how much time can pass between reps to still be considered a set. What's the difference between 2 with a rest and 2 sets of singles? Just pondering. I lift because I enjoy. I will consider a powerlifting meet at some point, but its a little tough with logistics. So, no need to get too fancy. :)

I would be surprised to get a new PR this go around. Hopefully last week was my only off week and I can feel stronger this week. But some of it may just be the fact that I can't always see the kind of growth that I saw during the first part of the year. My new years goal was to deadlift over 200#, I beat that in march. Then I increased this summer to 250#. Sweet, already halfway to my next goal. But it will most likely take me longer than 6 months. It just has to slow down at some point. And I need to deal with that. Probably need some new intermittent goals. Especially in areas I tend to avoid.

Plus, I am in a 10% deficit. My strength phase next time will line up with a tdee break.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Good planning on the next strength phase! Strength loves food!
    I've been pretty lucky while on a cut this summer and haven't seen any loss in strength. I do only eat a slight deficit though, about 100-200 calories a day.
    Can't wait to hear about your first powerlifting meet when you do it!
    Ichel
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @empressichel by only cutting 100-200 calories its so much easier to stay in a cut. And not go back to tdee or more because you feel deprived.

After all that talk I was able to get some PRS today :)

Squat 4 @ 185#. Getting close to that 200# goal!

Deadlift 4 @ 250#. Last time I tried I could only get it up once. The downside was after every set I had to go to the bathroom to rezip my bra. Need a new sportsbra. One without a zipper. Lol.
  • empressichel
    Options
    You've got those PR's scared! This is so awesome! Fantastic numbers!
    Someone told me that about a zipped sports bra before so I've steered well clear!
    More shopping to be done!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @empressichel it never used to be this bad. But the last two weeks its constant. I'm not sure if something has gotten bigger? Bust? Back? Shoulders? Did it stretch? Why???? Yes, I need a new one! I will still use the one I have because its fine except when deadlifting or doing barbell rows!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Lol!
    I'd be happy for a bigger shoulders and back, don't need any extra in the bust department!
    Your bust can change shape from the lifting, well more the supporting muscles and ligaments change.
    It's like a free boob job!
    Another thing to thank lifting for!
    Ichel
  • heybales
    edited September 2016
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    I'm never sure how much time can pass between reps to still be considered a set. What's the difference between 2 with a rest and 2 sets of singles? Just pondering. I lift because I enjoy. I will consider a powerlifting meet at some point, but its a little tough with logistics. So, no need to get too fancy. :)

I would be surprised to get a new PR this go around. Hopefully last week was my only off week and I can feel stronger this week. But some of it may just be the fact that I can't always see the kind of growth that I saw during the first part of the year. My new years goal was to deadlift over 200#, I beat that in march. Then I increased this summer to 250#. Sweet, already halfway to my next goal. But it will most likely take me longer than 6 months. It just has to slow down at some point. And I need to deal with that. Probably need some new intermittent goals. Especially in areas I tend to avoid.

Plus, I am in a 10% deficit. My strength phase next time will line up with a tdee break.

2-5 sec pause for breathing still makes it a set, even resetting the hands perhaps is still short enough.

A set rest for heavy lifting is 2-4 min, longer side of range for leg muscles, and that's actual resting. Some throw some cardio in there or other lifts - in which case the main lift is being hampered in performance.

Continuing progression will indeed slow down.
    Initial big increases were huge part form improvements, and complete muscle usage (CNS - Central Nervous System).
    After that is completed, advancement will slow as new muscle growth is required, and things that weren't as important as a beginner now are a bigger deal to keep seeing improvement.

Which means great job still seeing increases. Doing it right!